Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Watford FC Thread! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Like I've said before, he's been a victim of recent form - but imagine if Watford had struggled pre-Christmas, and ended with the type of form they showed before the New Year. He'd be lauded as a saviour.
    I think the club should've looked at the big picture.
    I'm sure he had targets but I doubt they were higher than finishing 13th with a solid cup run. I'm willing to bet their only target of the season was to avoid relegation. They did that and they did it easily.

Yeah the end of season form is poor but the owners/fans need to have some perspective. Martinez being sacked is fair enough because Everton should always finish top half. However to sack Flores after comfortably a avoiding relegation for a newly promoted team is absolutely insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neverdie)
    Because of the form of the last 11 games, and some fans are actually agreeing with this logic.

Eventually a manager will be sacked for losing their first game.
    Nah I don't but it. If a man can give a newly promoted side as good of a first half of the season as he did, why can't he do it next year?

It's quite possible that the players themselves let off a little knowing that they wouldn't get relegated. Sacking him after achieving his (assumed) target is terrible from the club. I don't doubt he'll quickly get another job but this sacking disgusts me a little to be honest.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Pozzos have a knack of getting these calls right - and not just with Watford. Look at their record in Spain and with Udinese, too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mazzarri agrees to take Watford role.

ReputationRep:
    Thread goes deathly quiet, no doubt from shock.

I stopped taking chairmen and firings seriously after either Allardyce or Houghton at Newcastle (forget which). There's no reasons, it's just random now. Ranieri will be next, then Conte after one week, then Vardy will get the Leicester job, win the first game, get hired by Chelsea, then get sacked before the next game for results being not as expected because it's international week and Chelsea didn't play - they're expected to win every weekend, so it's an unacceptable performance from Chelsea.

Joke sport.
    What was the issue with Hughton's sacking? When he got sacked with Newcastle in 11th, Alan Pardew was brought in who took them to 5th which was ahead of the Champions League winners that season.

Because of the form of the last 11 games, and some fans are actually agreeing with this logic.

Eventually a manager will be sacked for losing their first game.
    It's a harsh sacking, but others have said the Pozzo's are usually right with decisions like this. You don't know if it was the wrong decision, but their ability at picking managers would suggest it was the right one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    What was the issue with Hughton's sacking? When he got sacked with Newcastle in 11th, Alan Pardew was brought in who took them to 5th which was ahead of the Champions League winners that season.
    Everyone was stunned when Hughton was sacked. He brought them back up without a hitch, trounced the rest of the league. He was sacked with them 11th after promotion, which would be their highest position in 4 years, and they'd just destroyed Sunderland 5-1.

Fans didn't exactly take to his replacement after that. Not a happy bunch.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone was stunned when Hughton was sacked. He brought them back up without a hitch, trounced the rest of the league. He was sacked with them 11th after promotion, which would be their highest position in 4 years, and they'd just destroyed Sunderland 5-1.

Fans didn't exactly take to his replacement after that. Not a happy bunch.
    I'm not disagreeing that Hughton did an adequate job, the point I'm making is that the sacking was the right option, given who they got to replace him. This could very feasibly be the case with Watford. I don't really give him that much credit for Newcastle's promotion either given that they had the best team the league had seen in about a decade.

I dunno what the last sentence is about. Hughton certainly isn't better than Pardew and nobody since Robson has been. I don't care what the deluded Newcastle fans think. They hounding out Pardew when they were in 9th place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not disagreeing that Hughton did an adequate job, the point I'm making is that the sacking was the right option, given who they got to replace him. This could very feasibly be the case with Watford. I don't really give him that much credit for Newcastle's promotion either given that they had the best team the league had seen in about a decade.

I dunno what the last sentence is about. Hughton certainly isn't better than Pardew and nobody since Robson has been. I don't care what the deluded Newcastle fans think. They hounding out Pardew when they were in 9th place.
    Newcastle just got relegated you know. After his replacement got out of dodge, they went through 3 managers in a year, finishing precisely one season above 10th.

Even if that hadn't happened and Newcastle were fine, that doesn't stop Hughton's sacking being shocking, which it was, and Quique Flores' little better.

As for the logic that, if the outcome is ok, whatever decision you made was smart: doing stupid things for the wrong reasons doesn't make it right. If you disagree, I suggest you play a game of Russian Roulette with 5 bullets. If you survive, you win £10,000,000. If you come out of that better off, clearly you made a smart decision...?

To say Pardew is clearly better than Hughton is really strange. Hughton has done quite well at all his clubs, notably improving most of them. Pardew has flopped at a few. While Hughton got Newcastle promoted without any issue and got Birmingham to the playoffs, Pardew took relegated Charlton to the Championship midtable. Hell, he took over Newcastle from Hughton and helped them on the way down. How does any of that show Pardew to be better?

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle just got relegated you know. After his replacement got out of dodge, they went through 3 managers in a year, finishing precisely one season above 10th.
    Newcastle were 10th a year and a half ago when Pardew left, how is he at all to blame for village idiots like Carver and McClaren sinking them.

Even if that hadn't happened and Newcastle were fine, that doesn't stop Hughton's sacking being shocking, which it was, and Quique Flores' little better.

As for the logic that, if the outcome is ok, whatever decision you made was smart: doing stupid things for the wrong reasons doesn't make it right. If you disagree, I suggest you play a game of Russian Roulette with 5 bullets. If you survive, you win £10,000,000. If you come out of that better off, clearly you made a smart decision...?
    Being shocking is irrelevant - it doesn't matter. If there is a significantly better improvement available (I'll come to why later), you take the chance. It was the right decision as Newcastle finished 5th the following season.

To say Pardew is clearly better than Hughton is really strange. Hughton has done quite well at all his clubs, notably improving most of them. Pardew has flopped at a few. While Hughton got Newcastle promoted without any issue and got Birmingham to the playoffs, Pardew took relegated Charlton to the Championship midtable. Hell, he took over Newcastle from Hughton and helped them on the way down. How does any of that show Pardew to be better?
    Well firstly, Hughton's jobs have mainly been in the Championship where it's easier to do well. His only other Prem job was at Norwich where he spent big money on mediocre players and got them relegated. He's a very good Championship manager and that's it. I'm also surprised you think it's harder to lead the best squad in the Championship by a mile to the PL than to finish 5th with a mediocre squad.

I'm still unsure as to how you think Pardew relegated Newcastle. They were in the top half when he left and straight after he led another club to the top half. It's obvious that the burden of blame is on McClaren and Carver since they were the ones to cause the results to dip.

The only job Pardew has done badly at was Charlton. All the other clubs he improved. Hughton has had two PL jobs and one culminated in relegation and the other he was surpassed by Pards.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle were 10th a year and a half ago when Pardew left, how is he at all to blame for village idiots like Carver and McClaren sinking them.

Being shocking is irrelevant - it doesn't matter.

Well firstly, Hughton's jobs have mainly been in the Championship where it's easier to do well. His only other Prem job was at Norwich where he spent big money on mediocre players and got them relegated.

I'm still unsure as to how you think Pardew relegated Newcastle.

The only job Pardew has done badly at was Charlton. All the other clubs he improved.

Hughton has had two PL jobs and one culminated in relegation and the other he was surpassed by Pards.
    You're not being serious at all. O_o

Being shocking was the entire subject of the conversation.

The rest is just lies. WTF?

ReputationRep:
    You're not being serious at all. O_o

Being shocking was the entire subject of the conversation.

The rest is just lies. WTF?
    No it wasn't. You stated there was no reason for Hughton or Flores' sacking, I said it was for a superior replacement in the case of the former and possibly the latter. It was only afterwards you mentioned shocking.

What did I say that was a lie lol? Dunning-Kruger is a wonderful thing

ReputationRep:
    Ah Pards, I remember him well. Took a West Ham team that got relegated on something like 41 points, squeaked into the play-off places I think on the final day of the next season, lost anyway, same again next season but won the playoffs, then later got sacked with West Ham in the relegation zone. Fans hated him.

Swapped places with the other Alan at Charlton and he took them further down, fans hated him, got sacked.

Took over at Southampton who I think had just been relegated, didn't even get in the playoffs of League 1, got sacked.

Come to think of it, Palace were on the verge this season. Did alright for half of it then didn't win for months or something like that. He's probably getting the sack soon, you can't say he's not consistent.

Hughton's always had the air of a Mr. Reliable, like an Allardyce or Pulis, or Ancelotti, Hiddink and until this season Mourinho. You hire him, your team's not gonna drop like a stone. Brighton have an awesome record with managers, Newcastle not so much haha.

ReputationRep:
    What a load of nonsense.

(Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Ah Pards, I remember him well. Took a West Ham team that got relegated on something like 41 points, squeaked into the play-off places I think on the final day of the next season, lost anyway, same again next season but won the playoffs, then later got sacked with West Ham in the relegation zone. Fans hated him
    Firstly the side he took up was completely different to the side that went up, as if you were vaguely aware of football at the time you'd know the side that Roeder got relegated had a net spend of -£25,000,000 with Defoe, Kanoute, Cole, Di Canio, Johnson, Bowyer, Sinclair all leaving. It was impressive enough that he got them up and then dragged them to 9th place and an FA Cup Final. He overachieved so much in his first few seasons that when his team were roughly where a squad of their level were it looked like they were flopping when he wasn't. It's worth noting that it was only when Curbishley was given £30m to spend in Jan '07 that he managed to climb just one place higher.

Swapped places with the other Alan at Charlton and he took them further down, fans hated him, got sacked.
    They had 12 points when he took over at the half way mark, it's not his fault they got relegated. His only real failing came in the Championship with Charlton.

Took over at Southampton who I think had just been relegated, didn't even get in the playoffs of League 1, got sacked.
    He would have done if it were not for a points deduction. He also won the JPT.

Come to think of it, Palace were on the verge this season. Did alright for half of it then didn't win for months or something like that. He's probably getting the sack soon, you can't say he's not consistent.
    Because no managers ever get sacked right... He certainly won't be getting sacked either, a mid table finish and an FA Cup Final is decent for a side of Palace's size.

Hughton's always had the air of a Mr. Reliable, like an Allardyce or Pulis, or Ancelotti, Hiddink and until this season Mourinho. You hire him, your team's not gonna drop like a stone.
    Er Norwich lol. Lol again at comparing Hughton to a three time CL winner. You really aren't the brightest spark in the box.

You didn't manage to counter anything I brought up above earlier, as expected.

On topic, I'm expecting big things from Mazzarri, he did a tremendous job at Napoli and I wouldn't be surprised to see Watford finish top eight.

ReputationRep:
    What a load of nonsense.
    Best never to start a long post with something like this in future.

ReputationRep:
    Best never to start a long post with something like this in future.
    I figured you wouldn't have anything else to say.

For future reference don't talk nonsense, then you don't have to be called out on it. If you're only capable of posting rubbish like the mong I was conversing with earlier, how about don't post at all?

ReputationRep:
    I figured you wouldn't have anything else to say.

For future reference don't talk nonsense, then you don't have to be called out on it. If you're only capable of posting rubbish like the mong I was conversing with earlier, how about don't post at all?
    Your opening made me feel you're one of those angry types who go on the internet to let off steam and argue for the sake of arguing. So this reply isn't exactly making me consider now reading what was no doubt a wonderfully enlightening response full of pleasentries.

ReputationRep:
    Your opening made me feel you're one of those angry types who go on the internet to let off steam and argue for the sake of arguing. So this reply isn't exactly making me consider now reading what was no doubt a wonderfully enlightening response full of pleasentries.
    You've clearly read what I've written lol and you've now replied twice to me. Either you pretend you haven't read it and don't reply or accept that you've read it and post something intelligent back.

ReputationRep:
    You've clearly read what I've written lol and you've now replied twice to me. Either you pretend you haven't read it and don't reply or accept that you've read it and post something intelligent back.
    Are you well?

ReputationRep:
    Are you well?
    Ask yourself. You're pretending you haven't read someone else's post on the Internet.

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself. You're pretending you haven't read someone else's post on the Internet.
    I'm not sure why you're telling me this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 18, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.