Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob)
    SL should be completely abolished and we should stop funding so many people to go to university to study courses that cannot sustain themselves (except for traditional institutions and huge areas of science) instead of shifting it onto the tax payer, what sort of logic says small state but 'let's dump all this money on the taxpayer' - Incredible stupidity from the Tories as usual.

Would agree with cuts to foreign aid, not defence (as these are real jobs as well remember).

Benefits? Some people desperately need these, no one desperately needs student loans.

It's all about priorities and the Tories haven't got any.
    I agree with you there. In terms of benefits, more enforcement needs to arise from actually tackling fraud and perhaps looking at other more effective systems to help people but without such a hefty price tag.

ReputationRep:
    So how would anyone be able to afford to go to university unless if your born rich?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That £50bn works out to ~£1.7bn p/annum (over the 30 year period) which is about ~0.1% of our annual spending. It's not that big of a deal foregoing that to have a more educated populous, if I'm honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    But if you cant even get a job which pays equivalent to retail salary (not degrading retail jobs at all) then surely you are neither educated nor skilled.

Have you seen some of the degrees being allowed?
    Then your focus should be on offering fewer publicly funded courses/having fewer public universities, not on student loan itself.

This is coming from someone who has no stake at all in this (never took a loan) and in fact paid more than everyone else (international).

ReputationRep:
    #Drama

ReputationRep:
    You do realise Labour increased tuition fees in the first place? And again your point is just a typical view of a stupid left wing moron, everyone can go to university. £9000 is paid for and how the hell does an individual need more than £8,200 to live on for a year?
    There's a massive difference between £3k and £9k, the former doesn't saddle people with a lifetime of debt. And no I'm not a Left-Wing moron(although I'm largely left of centre politically) who thinks everyone should go to university, but I think it should be based on an individual's ability not their(or more specifically their parent's) ability to pay.

Nowhere have I said that £8200 per year isn't enough to live off. IMO it's a perfect amount to cover reasonable living costs provided your studying outside of London.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Hardly considering i am going to University myself in September and do NOT agree that people should be paying for another choice to go to university.

Or you should stop idiots going to university to study idiot degrees and working in jobs which did not require them too even have a degree in the first place. Use Drama as an example, very few succeed the majority are working in retail. Yes its great to study something you are passionate about but pay it off after as-well and there is no problem.
    No I do agree with you that some degrees do not entail a job and more people end up in low paying jobs purely because the government once a upon a time encouraged people to go to university to avoid paying benefits to those unemployed. However that back fired, there are many graduates unemployed. Most vocational degrees need to become apprenticeships because they are practical based and therefore lack skills by going to university.

(Original post by shawtyb)
    i dont agree with that
    who will defend our country if they makefurther cuts?
    do you have any idea how many healthy and able soldiers they got rid of because of the cuts already made?
    my partner is a solider and he gets paid no more then £4 an hour! in fact its about 3ish
    No I agree with you there and I do apologise if it came out wrong. Foreign aid is a must, we shouldn't pay so much for other countries because there are far more richer countries out there who could help. Benefits could be restructured, the way they are layered out now is appalling, there should be stricter laws.

ReputationRep:
    Granted.

Go and take a normal loan and use those excuses to not pay it back - See if the debt collectors do not still take your car.
    But this is more a normal loan. It's from the government. People pay taxes to fund the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiculturalism)
    We spend much more on 'defence', take the money from there
    Are you a troll by any chance? I'm trying very hard to take anything you say as if you're serious about it.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rhythmical;64445771]

(Original post by shawtyb)
    i dont agree with that
    who will defend our country if they makefurther cuts?
    do you have any idea how many healthy and able soldiers they got rid of because of the cuts already made?
    my partner is a solider and he gets paid no more then £4 an hour! in fact its about 3ish[/ QUOTE]

No I agree with you there and I do apologise if it came out wrong. Foreign aid is a must, we shouldn't pay so much for other countries because there are far more richer countries out there who could help. Benefits could be restructured, the way they are layered out now is appalling, there should be stricter laws.
    i just get touchy when i see stuff like this haha people who aint involved in a military life style or r.ship have no idea what its really like lol
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If you think it is okay for the government to use tax payers money to clear £50bn of loans then you need to consider what that £50bn could have been better used for.
    Back when university education was "free", where do you think the universities got their money from? Ultimately, the tax payer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMandarine)
    Are you a troll by any chance? I'm trying very hard to take anything you say as if you're serious about it.
    No I'm not - we spend about £70 billion on defense per year, its huge

ReputationRep:
    Its not a miserable threat at all. I agreed with you about peoples circumstances changing about 10 posts ago, what the biggest issue is, is peoples choice of degrees.

And okay, you keep thinking that
    i never said threat ? :/ i presume that was a typo

yea people dont have the best choices and some study it because of their interest and dont want a job in that sector however people study some degrees to get a job in it eventually and cant always afford to pay it back.

im doing my degree in business management, plenty of scope to get a job in it after howevr in my current job i dont earn 20k + a year however i fully intend on setting up direct debits to pay my student loan of a bit at a time, despite not earning enough to qualify for paying it back
    dont tar us all with the same brush please

and trust me, it wont work like that. many people here will agree with me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    No I do agree with you that some degrees do not entail a job and more people end up in low paying jobs purely because the government once a upon a time encouraged people to go to university to avoid paying benefits to those unemployed. However that back fired, there are many graduates unemployed. Most vocational degrees need to become apprenticeships because they are practical based and therefore lack skills by going to university.
    Except a) most degrees don't lead to a job because they're academic and have no direct application in and of themselves and b) the people in low skilled, low wage jobs would still be in those jobs regardless of whether they went to uni or not.

ReputationRep:
    I think students should be paid to go to university, thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiculturalism)
    No I'm not - we spend about £70 billion on defense per year, its huge
    You mean not even £60 billion.
    What are you going to suggest next, that the UK leave NATO :lol:?

ReputationRep:
    Im not tarring anyone simply stating the facts that the government and tax payers are picking up a HUGE bill mostly caused by bad decisions made by students. Your job is not a graduate job as you have not just graduated so the money you are earning right now is just your own to do what you want.

Oh so no graduate earns more than £21k? youre on the wrong degree i think.
    well its not all my own at all, i pay rent, i pay bills and taxes etc.
    i never said that at all, your insinuating now.
    and if you actually look, managers get paid alot! some even earn 40k yearly so no, i think im doing the right degree thanks
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    [QUOTE=shawtyb;64445819]

i just get touchy when i see stuff like this haha people who aint involved in a military life style or r.ship have no idea what its really like lol
    No I do understand. I just think the OP has no idea how valuable a student loan can be. If I had the money, I wouldn't take one out. It should not be the case of the rich being able to fund university education.

ReputationRep:

No I do understand. I just think the OP has no idea how valuable a student loan can be. If I had the money, I wouldn't take one out. It should not be the case of the rich being able to fund university education.
    i think its because he doesnt qualify which is why his moody
    i wouldnt have neither if i had the money
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Disagree with you OP. Education is valuable in its own right and if money was the only criteria, then a lot of subjects would not be studied.

Its not that long ago when education was free and the people now making the rules left Uni wothout student debt or at least less than £5k.

See what you think about the system after you have been through Uni and then experienced working life.

I'm in favour of people being better educated and more informed before they commit to a degree and he associated debt, instead of being sheeple and following a degree just becayse everyone else does.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.