The Student Room Group

Should cannabis be legalised recreationally in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
More like they're getting their cues from their friends in the tobacco and alcohol industries.

Additionally, yes
Original post by champ_mc99
I think there's no legitimate reason to not legalize it if cigarettes and alcohol are.

But just to point out, the effects of cannabis on the nervous system act faster than alcohol right? More accidents on the road?

I said exactly the same 1st sentence

But when have you EVER seen anythin about "guy crashes car, weed in system"
????
Would much rather have weed legalised over alcohol tbh; Colorado in the US legalised pot and it produced a lot of benefits like lower crime rate and so on. I don't see why not it shouldn't be legalised especially if it replicates the benefits that Colorado produced.
Reply 23
Original post by M14B
Yeah, and tobacco too

stupid, everyone knows prohibition doesn't work
[video="youtube;ecyZSab1fKw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyZSab1fKw[/video]
Original post by JordanL_
We know that it's significantly less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. We also know that it's less addictive. We know that drug criminalisation costs millions to enforce, and prevents good, functioning people from contributing to society. We know that banning the sale of cannabis just makes people buy it from illegal dealers, causing significant health risks in an otherwise safe product. And we know that making drugs illegal doesn't actually stop anyone from using them.

There really isn't any reason not to legalise cannabis except blatant denial of facts.

How does drug criminalisation prevent 'good functioning people from contributing to society'? Are you referring to people who are imprisoned for drug offences? Not trying to start a debate here, would just like to know what you meant :smile:
Original post by legallyblonde72
How does drug criminalisation prevent 'good functioning people from contributing to society'? Are you referring to people who are imprisoned for drug offences? Not trying to start a debate here, would just like to know what you meant :smile:

I am. The vast, vast majority of people in prison for possession of drugs never have or never would harm anyone in their lives, and a lot of them had great careers. Drugs didn't ruin their lives, but prison did.
Definitely! There's people who use it as an escape as they would cigarettes or alcohol. I believe that cigarettes and alcohol are much more harmful. Sooooo many people smoke it these days anyway, which makes the illegal bit worse as you don't know what you're getting off these illegal dealers. Could have them added extras that makes it worthy of being illegal maybe.
If medical weed is a concept then I don't understand how it's illegal on a daily basis. Making it legal will increase profits for the government and stop all the sneaking around. Typically in my area, getting caught with weed isn't a big deal and the punishment is very little. So if the cops aren't arsed, then why should it be illegal?
People can try it without the fear of being caught, and you never know a lot of people might hate it.

If anything, I believe that maybe there should be a trial period where weed is legal for like a month or so and see how it goes from there. People make it obvious on social media that they smoke it so what's the point of going to all the hassle to make it illegal.
No. However, I'd support medicinal legalisation.
No, it should most definitely not be legalised. I would support harsher punishments for it and stricter policing.
Original post by Trapz99
No, it should most definitely not be legalised. I would support harsher punishments for it and stricter policing.

Why?
Legalisation seems to be working well in the US. Seems bizarre that it is illegal when most of the crime generated from it is in its supply rather than its use.
Reply 33
Of course.

There is absolutely no reason not to. Someone sometime somewhere decided it's a bad thing and that it makes people schizo and whatnot and this wrong belief is perpetuated in the same way that morons still think vaccinations make you autistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending