Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Europe must understand the direction in which we are heading. We are racing towards a single Israeli-Palestinian state that will end up as the apartheid state of Israel. Such a joint state will not allow the Palestinians to exercise their full civil rights. Europe and the UK must speak up and recognise Palestine in order to save the two-state idea.
    We need to say to Israel: “This land is not exclusively yours. It also belongs to another indigenous people that have been living there for centuries: the Palestinians. We recognise this people’s right to share this land and its right to an independent state
    I don't think you understand what an apartheid is.

How many Muslims can marry a Jewish person in Palestine?

None.

In Isreal there are no problems.

I'm not using this as an attack on Palestine, more to debunk the word apartheid.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I don't think you understand what an apartheid is.

How many Muslims can marry a Jewish person in Palestine?

None.

In Isreal there are no problems.

I'm not using this as an attack on Palestine, more to debunk the word apartheid.
    In Israel there are such problems.

They recently banned a book from the high-school curriculum in Israel about a love story between an Israeli and Palestinian because it promoted intermarriage between Jews and non-Jews.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...eli-curriculum

Although I must point out that while it is argued strongly that it is not currently an apartheid state, I originally stated that the country of Palestine is heading towards a single apartheid Israeli state.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of helping Palestinians, achieving peace in the region and creating a two-state solution this achieves absolutely nothing.

It does however have the potential to annoy our allies.

It does give implicit support to Hamas.

I will probably vote nay.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    This looks familiar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    So basically whenever Israel is attacked by Hamas (in like 90% of cases, they attack Israel first), Israel seizes more land (something i find acceptable since the war is provoked). Now the left have basically accepted that the Arabs should not have attacked Israel in 48 or 67 and hence don't object to Israel's gains in those wars but since then (mainly the left) seem to think that Israel eating Palestinian territory is wrong.
    How ignorant, you've twisted this very eloquently to fit your own agenda.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm wary, as some have already said it might have already been done, but beyond that it's a practically meaningless gesture that achieves nothing, something I'm not a fan of.

Arguably it should also be a motion, it is for the foreign office to establish it's opposition, not the minor parties, and as such would request that the speaker take down this item as improper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I'm wary, as some have already said it might have already been done, but beyond that it's a practically meaningless gesture that achieves nothing, something I'm not a fan of.

Arguably it should also be a motion, it is for the foreign office to establish it's opposition, not the minor parties, and as such would request that the speaker take down this item as improper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol

the government can be bound by Acts of Parliament which it doesn't support. There is no limitation on the power of Parliament to add to, withdraw from, or exercise powers of the government, they are not powers reserved for the government.

ReputationRep:
    What would recognising Palestine actually achieve? I'm curious as I'm rather undecided on this issue.

Whilst I accept that Palestinians face harsh circumstances, would recognising the state of Palestine not simply be seen as a hostile act by Israel, serving only to strengthen their resolve?

I feel that only a joint effort with the US to recognise Palestine would really have any effects, and I'm sceptical at best of them proposing such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, Israel's treatment of Palestinians is, by and large, sick and evil, and it's important that we do everything we can to show our disapproval.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Aye, Israel's treatment of Palestinians is, by and large, sick and evil, and it's important that we do everything we can to show our disapproval.
    And this does so how, exactly?

Israel: The UK recognises the state of Palestine, we are so terrified now and will definitely stop our actions against Palestinian terror immediately and let these people form a state we recognise to attack us from!!!!

I don't this so.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    I thought we had recognised the Palestinian territories for a while.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    We can recognise Palestine (many states have already) but we cannot force Israel to do. I don't see how this would make a positive impact, even though I support Palestinian sovereignty.

(Not surprised who wrote this tbh. )
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    DMcGovern - could you please just clarify the difference between this bill and B730 - Recognition of the State of Palestine Bill 2014?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    DMcGovern - could you please just clarify the difference between this bill and B730 - Recognition of the State of Palestine Bill 2014?
    Where is that?
    Also I'm sure there's been a repeal since then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    The state of Israel was created in 1948. The land which had previously been under British rule was divided and handed to the Zionist Jews to create Israel.
    The land which had previously been under British rule was devided and handed to Jews and Arabs to create their national states.
    They then killed thousands of Arabs and chased them off other parts of the land to secure it.
    Then Arabs attacked newly created Jewish state and were defeated.
    according to international law it is inadmissible to acquire territory by war
    according to international law it is inadmissible to attack and destroy a newly created national state.
    self-described Jewish state
    Just your opinion
    From the UN resolution 181: "Independent Arab and Jewish States"
    (and those within Israel are subjected to systematic discrimination)
    Just your opinion.
    There is also the issue that anyone who is Jewish - no matter their ethnicity or nationality, the could be a convert - can go and be given Israeli citizenship
    That's what Jewish homeland was created for.
    and land...for free.
    Just your opinion.
    Few of them have had a legitimate trial
    Just your opinion.
    Physical abuse and torture are frequent.
    Just your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the naysayers above. They need to solve this conflict between themselves and this bill is very unlikely to have a positive outcome.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by admonit)
    The land which had previously been under British rule was devided and handed to Jews and Arabs to create their national states.

Then Arabs attacked newly created Jewish state and were defeated.
    Arabs did not 'attack', though they were angered and opposed. War erupted between the two sides, it was not one-sided.

The 1948 Arab-Israeli War killed hundreds of Arabs, Jews and British. Some 700,000 Palestinians caught up in the turmoil fled or were driven from their homes. On June 11, a truce was accepted by all parties. Israel used the lull to undertake a large-scale reinforcement of its army. In a series of military operations, during the war it conquered the whole of the Galilee region, both the Lydda and Ramle areas, and the Negev. It also managed to secure, in the Battles of Latrun, a road linking Jerusalem to Israel. In this phase, 350,000 more Arab Palestinians fled or were expelled from the conquered areas.

according to international law it is inadmissible to attack and destroy a newly created national state.
    So your response is "they broke the law as well", as if international crimes cancel out each other.
    Just because Arab groups were involved in the war doesn't mean that the illegal capturing and occupation of foreign land could ever be justified.

Just your opinion
    No it's not.
    See, for example, Qumsiyeh, Palestinian Refugees Right to Return and Repatriation (http://ifamericansknew.org/history/ref-qumsiyeh.html)United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East,http://www.unrwa.org/

That's what Jewish homeland was created for.
    Then it is unacceptable that a convert who has no former Jewish background can come and claim land in a state, usually in illegal settlements in Palestine.

Just your opinion.
    No it's not.

See, for example, B’Tselem – The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, “Absolute Prohibition: The torture and Ill-Treatment of Palestinian Detainees,” May 2007, http://www.btselem.org/publications/...erly_forbidden

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.