Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am 18, and scared of the dark-please help watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Well I don't like the journey from my bed to the switch because it's too dark

I should have gone on anon...oh well, too late now!
    When I'm the last person downstairs and I switch off the last light, I usually run up the stairs.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried poking yourself and testing your limit?

Perhaps take this strategy
    -Get it dark to the point it bothers you
    -Sleep (As long as you can fall asleep)
    -Repeat couple of times until you can yawn in pitch dark

PS I actually look forward to meeting new mystical creatures,as long as they don't mean harm =p (Or so I tell myself usually after watching a horror movies around midnight)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezzBerry)
    When I'm the last person downstairs and I switch off the last light, I usually run up the stairs.
    :rofl: I do that! and if I REALLY have to get up to pee or whatever, I RUN to the other end of the room to turn the light on. SO SILLY

But that only happens if my dad wakes up in the middle of the light and turns the outside light off, then my room gets pitch black.

You made me feel better, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Promise? everyone tells me it's not normal.

atleast I don't sleep with the actual light on!!
    Sounds reasonable to me

ReputationRep:
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kOhfpvS4XG

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh!

I'm so happy to hear you again! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: I do that! and if I REALLY have to get up to pee or whatever, I RUN to the other end of the room to turn the light on. SO SILLY

But that only happens if my dad wakes up in the middle of the light and turns the outside light off, then my room gets pitch black.

You made me feel better, thanks!
    I usually run upstairs because my nephew has a toy which makes sheep sounds when the light is turned on/off. Its hella creepy.

ReputationRep:
    Im similar in the sense I can't sleep in complete darkness, I like having a little bit of light, I just leave my door slightly open to get some of the hallway light in

ReputationRep:
    Confront it, as someone else has said before me.

I honestly used to fear golem would pop his head up in the window when I mas younger, but I kept looking at the window anyway, an no golem popped up, despite me knowing it was irrational, and I kinda grew out of it (like that probs anyway.)

It's good to probably retain some of that fear for when you are outside, but you shouldn't feel scared in your own home.

So sleep in the dark, maybe initially under your covers, then with your head out looking sidewyas, or to the ceiling (though ceiling is scarier.)

Confront it, and then be done with it.

Start tonight, if possible, or definitely start by tomorrow night.

Edit: Or sleep with the door open, the the light of the room outside on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    The only way to defeat a fear is to confront it and beat it.
    I'm scared of bullets flying towards my head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I'm scared of bullets flying towards my head
    Use smaller calibre bullets to build up immunity to larger calibres.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh! PM ME! I'm 18 and scared on the dark

I know it's pathetic but I cannot sleep in complete darkness, it gives me anxiety, I also feel like the darkness is suffocating me. I certainly cannot go to the bathroom in the dark, I don't even like to get out of bed in the complete darkness. It's so embarrassing, I never grew out of this fear.

I remember going to France on a school trip a couple of years ago, the door was shut and locked and it was so dark I started to panic, luckily my friend brought her reading light and we stuck that near my window to calm me down.
    Oh my gosh its's SOOO pathetic XDDDDD

I'm going to take a lamp with me to uni.
    Be sure to get one that doesn't overheat. (It's just that all the lamps I've encountered get bloody hot in a short period of time, like you can light things on fire type of hot.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Use smaller calibre bullets to build up immunity to larger calibres.
    Hahahaha that was my profile picture on here for a while actually :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googleit)
    Become the darkness, become your fear.
    Solution #2: Do what Batman did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Just remember that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself...

ReputationRep:
    Why are you getting up in the night at the age of 18?

ReputationRep:
    The Night is Dark and full of Terrors
    http://www.thegrumpyfish.com/core/melisandre-old.jpg

On another note, i too fear the dark. Something about what can be creepying in the unknown makes me feel uneasy.
    Although I do listen to a list a creepypastas as bedtime stories to put me to sleep, so thats probably why xD

ReputationRep:
    So, ever since i can remember, i have always been scared of the dark which has impacted me a lot during my sleep. I can't even go to the bathroom by myself at this age.

At the moment i share a room with my sisters however, when i had my own room, i just could not sleep in it and would not like to switch off the light because i thought someone was coming to get me and the shadows of my wardrobes scared me to death.

Even now, although i share a room, i sleep with the light on and would not like to switch off the when i am by myself sleeping, but if otherwise, i can sleep with the lights off.

I don't know what to do.
    Relax you are not going to die in dark because now a days people kill you in daylight. So don't afraid death is truth and think everyone has to die sooner or latter. Be Brave dr

ReputationRep:
    So, ever since i can remember, i have always been scared of the dark which has impacted me a lot during my sleep. I can't even go to the bathroom by myself at this age.

At the moment i share a room with my sisters however, when i had my own room, i just could not sleep in it and would not like to switch off the light because i thought someone was coming to get me and the shadows of my wardrobes scared me to death.

Even now, although i share a room, i sleep with the light on and would not like to switch off the when i am by myself sleeping, but if otherwise, i can sleep with the lights off.

I don't know what to do.
    Play Pyjama Sam "No Need To Hide When Its Dark Outside".
    (Its a kids game but its still fun and it helped me quite a bit).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.