The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to cook for myself?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
I marinated it which took the majority of the time, I also made the marinade. Then I slow cooked it at low heat for an hour.

Ok, you get semi-props.

TIL: I can't strikethrough properly. Halp.
if people were in and there was enough stuff for them it would have been polite to offer to make other people stuff... but it sounds like neither of those were the case... I don't think it's a big deal, he's over reacting
Original post by doodle_333
if people were in and there was enough stuff for them it would have been polite to offer to make other people stuff... but it sounds like neither of those were the case... I don't think it's a big deal, he's over reacting

He said because my mum was at work, I should cook for her for when she comes back which I can see his point but I've cooked for the whole family twice this week, which most people my age rarely do, I was under no obligation to do it either. If I had eaten earlier that day for breakfast and lunch and I started cooking in the evening, I would've probably made it for everyone else who was home.
Basically, today I've pissed off my stepfather due to cooking and I want to see if I am really in the wrong.

I am 18, I live at home and today I decided to cook some food for myself (this was from about 4pm, I finished cooking at around 7pm and a few minutes after I came my stepfather came home and saw and was angry that I only cooked for myself and said I was selfish etc.

I have cooked for my entire family before, twice this week already but today I decided to make something for myself, it was just meant to be a smallish 'lunch' food that ended up taking a while longer.

I was basically told, to only cook for myself and if he cooks food for the family, I can't have any of it and then he bought up times I've cooked for myself before like when I have made myself pancakes. I didn't really think this was a big thing that I should cook for the family.

Am I being unreasonable to have made some ribs for only myself? I also bought the meat and ingredients myself.

Nothing wrong per say, but in an asian household (east asian especially) dinner is a family occasion - is your Father a traditional type bloke?
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Nothing wrong per say, but in an asian household (east asian especially) dinner is a family occasion - is your Father a traditional type bloke?

I guess a bit more than an average British guy, I guess it is dinner but it was also my first meal so I basically treated it as a super late breakfast.
I guess a bit more than an average British guy, I guess it is dinner but it was also my first meal so I basically treated it as a super late breakfast.

Well I know that when I was a teenager, if I cooked dinner for myself and neglected the household, my Mum would be quite cross at me, and I see where she's coming from, just as I see where your Dad is coming from.

Dinner is a family event - that's hard grained in East-Asian culture.

Also, if your Father and Mother work, then perhaps cooking for the family could be something you do on a regular basis - I used to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending