Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    does it have to be from tesco? There are much cheaper places to buy laptops from
    yes my mum has those voucher things so we can essentially get the laptop for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    pretty much the same laptop just that you trade 4 GB of Ram for a better processor. if you are just browing web and using microsoft office, both of the choices are good . You can't expect it to run heavy graphic games tho..
    well i dunno maybe league of legends or minecraft? maybe just some online games?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    well i dunno maybe league of legends or minecraft? maybe just some online games?
    If you want to be able to play games you probably want something with a dedicated graphics card - games like league etc will run on integrated but you will have a much better experience with a dedicated graphics card

ReputationRep:
    Recommended spec for LOL
    • 3 GHz processor
    • (4 GB of RAM for Windows Vista and higher)
    • 12 GB available hard disk space
    • Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 5670 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB or higher Video Memory(VRAM))
    • Support for DirectX v9.0c or better.
    • Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 with the latest service pack installed
    • The latest update to .NET Framework from Microsoft
    • The latest version of Adobe AIR is required to connect to PVP.net. Adobe AIR is included with all League of Legends setup files, but can also be downloaded from Adobe's website.
    your processor has not enough GHz and your graphic card is insufficient. Unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    All I am gonna say is don't get a mac or get any of the new fancy surface or yoga things
    Yoga's are nice, they are expensive but my lenovo yoga has survived:

- Being thrown at a marble floor

- Attempting to run 18A of current though a USB port

- Being strapped to the top of a mobile robotics platform and being rammed into walls, doors and furniture.

Furthermore the 15nm i7 processor is great for intensive work loads such as MATLAB. Battery life is average but the lightweight charger doesn't make that a huge issue.

The folding design is a good feature, Don't expect to be using it all the time but sometimes when you need desk space but still want to have a PDF document up you can fold it up into "tent" mode and then use the touch screen to scroll.

Although almost all of the features mentioned are not necessary for light workloads, its mostly because of engineering related incidents and use that I fully understand usefulness and reliablity of the lenovo laptops.

ReputationRep:
    Recommended spec for LOL
    • 3 GHz processor
    • Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 5670 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB or higher Video Memory(VRAM))
    • Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 with the latest service pack installed
    • The latest version of Adobe AIR is required to connect to PVP.net. Adobe AIR is included with all League of Legends setup files, but can also be downloaded from Adobe's website.
    your processor has not enough GHz and your graphic card is insufficient. Unfortunately.
    i see then...

ReputationRep:
    Recommended spec for LOL
    • 3 GHz processor
    I've played LOL on much worse specs and it ran okay on the minimum settings. It's not exactly a graphics intensive game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    I've played LOL on much worse specs and it ran okay on the minimum settings. It's not exactly a graphics intensive game.
    'Tis cause that is the rec specs and not the min requirements, Minecraft and LoL should be fine on that laptop. Also the native resolution is 1366x768 on that laptop, I'm not one for buying low spec laptops but the 5500 chip is actually fairly powerful and will be more than enough at those resolutions for generic online gaming/minecraft. As long as the OP isn't expecting to play AAA titles.

ReputationRep:
    Recommended spec for LOL
    • 3 GHz processor
    Think you need to look better:
    2 GHz processor
    2 GB RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users will want 2 GB of RAM or more)
    8 GB available hard disk space
    Shader version 2.0 capable video card
    Support for DirectX v9.0c or better
    Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or 3 ONLY), Windows Vista, or Windows 7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ron_trns)
    'Tis cause that is the rec specs and not the min requirements, Minecraft and LoL should be fine on that laptop although expect some minor fps lag now and again but it's likely if the OP isn't deeply into it... he/she won't really care.
    yea .....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    2 GHz processor
    i found it from here

https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-...ection-windows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    2 GHz processor
    Those are the minimum requirements (apart from the 2gb ram bit, which on the support page says 1gb ram and then the bit about windows vista and 7 users wanting 2gb) not the recommended specs, although it is worth mentioning that for a lot of games you can run it smoothly with less than the recommended specs

ReputationRep:
    x
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-...skuId=166-5539

is this one ok?

ReputationRep:
    i can't seem to find this one on the benchmark list.

If you really just want to do basic work like office and web surfing, the two laptops you showed me previously will do the job well. But league of legend is a different story, you will need a better GPU for that.

ReputationRep:
    Try ask the guys in here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=147

some might know more than me. cause i never play LOL before.

i am just speaking from conventional wisdom, high end gaming requires a more powerful laptop.

ReputationRep:
    i can't seem to find this one on the benchmark list.

If you really just want to do basic work like office and web surfing, the two laptops you showed me previously will do the job well. But league of legend is a different story, you will need a better GPU for that.
    ah ok...

ReputationRep:
    Try ask the guys in here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=147

some might know more than me. cause i never play LOL before.

i am just speaking from conventional wisdom, high end gaming requires a more powerful laptop.
    I don't play league, but i have a lot of friends who play it including on integrated graphics because league isn't really a high end game - it is designed to run on pretty much anything so that they get more people playing it. It will probably run ok on most laptops at low settings but don't expect a particularly high fps if you don't have a graphics card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    I don't play league, but i have a lot of friends who play it including on integrated graphics because league isn't really a high end game - it is designed to run on pretty much anything so that they get more people playing it. It will probably run ok on most laptops at low settings but don't expect a particularly high fps if you don't have a graphics card
    do u know if gaming on a normal spec pc laptop like those OP posted will cause overheating and reduce lifespan of processor?

ReputationRep:
    Any laptop from tesco, can anyone suggest a good quick one to use?
    I have no idea about laptop specs and stuff, any suggestions welcome
    Curry's have a sale on and I recommend getting the HP laptop- the 8GB, 1TB one with I3 processor. I don't know much about laptops but this laptop is ideal for schoolwork. If you want gaming and graphics, then get AMD processor. If you want a really fast one then get higher processors but the higher the processor is, the more expensive it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.