Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Look up the theodicies of St Augustine and Irenaeus/John Hick

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Probably because if he came along trying to heal the fat and disabled he'd be lynched by a bunch of SJWs who would crucify him for being a Cis Guy who wasn't pro-Body Acceptance.
    The amount of Tumblr people who would beat your ass is unreal haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhmedMA99)
    For their sins maybe. I am not God to decide.
    Why? Why can't he just forgive, rather than torture someone?

(Original post by JordanL_)
    My parents love me but they still punish me if I'm an ********, to make sure I don't turn into a bigger ********.
    Okay, but your parents' punishments are nothing like what some people suffer on this earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    God is an ********. Why anyone would want to worship such a colossal **** head is beyond me :dontknow:

The only way I think you can believe in God alongside all the misery and pain in the world is if you believe in a non theistic omnipotent, omnipresent and omni powerful God. Deism for example fits in with the Universe doesn't care about you approach. In fact I would rather have a deist God that is indifferent to your existence, rather than a theistic maniac like most religions would have us believes exist, a god that created severely disabled children.

Do your parents give you malaria?
    What about the good things?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I can't answer that, no one can. I'm disabled but I couldn't give two ****s about it. Yes, it used to affect me but I pretty much do whatever an able bodied person does, I don't have disabled friends and I'm doing my A Levels. It doesn't matter if someone is disabled or not, they are human and if you ask a disabled person if they wish they weren't disabled, most of them would say no. The reason why? It's made them the person they are today, I'm more insightful and accepting and we may have our hurdles and obstacles but we live life however we want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)

Okay, but your parents' punishments are nothing like what some people suffer on this earth.
    You do know you can scale stuff? Isn't that the purpose of analogy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhmedMA99)
    Life would be too easy if we had everything preserved for us.
    God wants us to feel thankful for what we have so he tests
    us with disabilities, illness, poorness etc..
    Some people have more than what we have, some have less.
    That's just how life works. You have to work for your
    success. Nothing is served on a golden plate.
    Sometimes these disabilities are a punishment for
    doing something bad or maybe just to remind us
    of thanking God for what we have.
    In conclusion, God wants us to work hard in our
    lives and thank him for everything either it being waking up
    in the morning or going to sleep in the night.
    Maybe you can think about all the poor and homeless people
    all over the world with no beds to sleep on.
    If God gave everyone everything, no one would
    thank God for what he have.
    Sorry for the long post, but I had to type this.
    How can life be a test if God is all-knowing? A test is dependent on there being doubt present, it's done to find something out about that person, usually in terms of skills and capabilities. But how can God find something about you that he didn't already know from before you were even born?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Damn... you're good :indiff:

You do know you can scale stuff? Isn't that the purpose of analogy?
    Scale what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    God is an ********. Why anyone would want to worship such a colossal **** head is beyond me :dontknow:

The only way I think you can believe in God alongside all the misery and pain in the world is if you believe in a non theistic omnipotent, omnipresent and omni powerful God. Deism for example fits in with the Universe doesn't care about you approach. In fact I would rather have a deist God that is indifferent to your existence, rather than a theistic maniac like most religions would have us believes exist, a god that created severely disabled children.

Do your parents give you malaria?

My parents aren't gods. If there is a god (I have no particular belief), then it would be on an entirely different scale. Getting malaria is far less significant if you're going to spend the rest of eternity in heaven.

ReputationRep:
    In Hinduism, disabilities are believed to be linked to “karma”, sins that have been committed in past lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    My parents aren't gods. If there is a god (I have no particular belief), then it would be on an entirely different scale. Getting malaria is far less significant if you're going to spend the rest of eternity in heaven.
    How can you be sure of heaven when you're not sure of why God causes people to suffer?

ReputationRep:
    As the OP speaks of being born disabled, how can this be a punishment? What sins has a newborn baby comitted to merit a 'punishment' of lifelong disability, or even any punishment at all?

ReputationRep:
    Why would an all loving God want to punish you?
    I believe God is testing us with different situations/trials such as disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    Because God is testing them, or whatever other excuse they concoct today.

ReputationRep:
    Let me turn to the book of Jeremiah.
    Look it up in your own time as I'm quoting this from memory.

"For I know the plans I have for you, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."
    God has everything in control, and what may seem bad to you may have a positive outcome.

ReputationRep:
    Scale what?
    His example? You said his parents punishments are nothing compared to what people go through round the world. True but you could like um... 'make them larger' to fit the situation because what he's conveying is parent-child relationship which often involve corrections and punishments. Not sure if I'm coming out clear :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fastandfurious)
    In Hinduism, disabilities are believed to be linked to “karma”, sins that have been committed in past lives.
    So in that vein people do not need to be compassionate towards disabled children and adults because they're 'just getting what they deserve' as 'what comes around goes around' surely?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why god created fascists too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    How can life be a test if God is all-knowing? A test is dependent on there being doubt present, it's done to find something out about that person, usually in terms of skills and capabilities. But how can God find something about you that he didn't already know from before you were even born?
    Exactly! And if he's all-loving, surely he wouldn't even create the people he already knows will fail the 'test' and end up in a place of everlasting torment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    I can't answer that, no one can. I'm disabled but I couldn't give two ****s about it. Yes, it used to affect me but I pretty much do whatever an able bodied person does, I don't have disabled friends and I'm doing my A Levels. It doesn't matter if someone is disabled or not, they are human and if you ask a disabled person if they wish they weren't disabled, most of them would say no. The reason why? It's made them the person they are today, I'm more insightful and accepting and we may have our hurdles and obstacles but we live life however we want to.
    couldn't have said it any better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.