The Student Room Group

I genuinely see Tony Blair as a national hero.

Scroll to see replies

He was the worst thing to ever happen to this country.

THE WORST
Very good overall: bad points-

Pro faiths schools
NHS Contracts
Cosied up the Saudis and Gaddafi
Dodgy arms deals
Became acompletely unhinged after Leaving officce
tony blair was a disgusting, despicable human being.
he was a total 100% career politician
his domestic politics was based on continuous lies and spinning statistics
his foreign policy was based on imperial wars for oil
Clement Atlee was the best thing ever to happen to this country.
Original post by ckfeister
Oh I thought Tony Blair caused the war or something nevermind.

It's disappointing that one of Labour and Britain's great modernisers gets reduced to this stereotype. It was Blair that talked Clinton into doing something in Bosnia and Kosovo to stop the genocide.

I hope all of the Blairites in this thread will come and join the soft-left wing of the TSR Labour Party. :tongue:
Original post by Saracen's Fez
It's disappointing that one of Labour and Britain's great modernisers gets reduced to this stereotype. It was Blair that talked Clinton into doing something in Bosnia and Kosovo to stop the genocide.

I hope all of the Blairites in this thread will come and join the soft-left wing of the TSR Labour Party. :tongue:

I'll only suppot labour if they elect modest leader. I'm hard left.
Original post by JamesN88
Minus the Iraq war I think he was an excellent leader.

Original post by ckfeister
Oh I thought Tony Blair caused the war or something nevermind.

I agree somewhat James, but I think how it was he had to go into Iraq- yes it de-stablished Iraq, but had they of had weapons of mass destruction we would have been near the top of the list. It's no secret the East hate us and the United States. The basis i believe war was justifiable is it was rumored Saddam Hussain had weapons of mass destruction, now the United Nations said he did not have weapons of mass destruction, The united nations have the mission of bringing peace to the world so they are going to say what avoids a war. Now I actually believe Saddam had Weapons of mass destruction and got his mate Iran or Saudi Arabia to hide them for him- bit of a controversial one if muslims covered for Bin Laden( said he was not in Abottabad) they will do anything. I have actually went away and found a bit of an article to support why http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/bombshell-new-york-times-reports-wmds-found-iraq/
That article shows that there was 5000 chemical warheads or aviation bombs found in Iraq by American soldiers- this was never reported on the news, I wonder why i suspect the news anchors would have been bombarded by angry muslims with claims of Islamophobia. There are just to many do-gooders in the UK
Original post by drosstalk
I agree somewhat James, but I think how it was he had to go into Iraq- yes it de-stablished Iraq, but had they of had weapons of mass destruction we would have been near the top of the list. It's no secret the East hate us and the United States. The basis i believe war was justifiable is it was rumored Saddam Hussain had weapons of mass destruction, now the United Nations said he did not have weapons of mass destruction, The united nations have the mission of bringing peace to the world so they are going to say what avoids a war. Now I actually believe Saddam had Weapons of mass destruction and got his mate Iran or Saudi Arabia to hide them for him- bit of a controversial one if muslims covered for Bin Laden( said he was not in Abottabad) they will do anything. I have actually went away and found a bit of an article to support why http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/bombshell-new-york-times-reports-wmds-found-iraq/
That article shows that there was 5000 chemical warheads or aviation bombs found in Iraq by American soldiers- this was never reported on the news, I wonder why i suspect the news anchors would have been bombarded by angry muslims with claims of Islamophobia. There are just to many do-gooders in the UK

You could make a moral argument for getting rid of Saddam regardless.

The unfortunate irony of the whole debacle is that rather than aiding, his security services actually kept the lid on extremism. When we kicked the Baathists out of power his former regime members were ostracised and some ended up joining the extremists. That's why IS are so effective because they're coordinated by these same well trained former military officers.

Saddam was certainly no friend of the Saudis or the Iranians.
Original post by JamesN88
You could make a moral argument for getting rid of Saddam regardless.

The unfortunate irony of the whole debacle is that rather than aiding, his security services actually kept the lid on extremism. When we kicked the Baathists out of power his former regime members were ostracised and some ended up joining the extremists. That's why IS are so effective because they're coordinated by these same well trained former military officers.

Saddam was certainly no friend of the Saudis or the Iranians.

Ok Some neighboring countries would of hidden them for Saddam. Tony did the right thing in my opinion I would not trust anything the United Nations said. To a degree i think Bush tried to force Tony's hands, I think they may have set up a deal to wipe out so much of our debt with America from WW2 if we won them the war.
FYI

Blair was to the right of the centre, only just though

Original post by Saracen's Fez

Original post by otester
Rather typical of the left to over look hundreds of thousands of deaths to preserve their ideology...

I can't think of any logical reasoning why that's characteristic of the left?
Original post by Twinpeaks
I can't think of any logical reasoning why that's characteristic of the left?

Blair's labour can not be defined as the left more like progressive rights

Blair's labour can not be defined as the left more like progressive rights

Thanks for the pic that's of no relevance to my post :redface:

I merely asked out of sheer curiosity, why it would be characteristic of the left to "over look hundreds of thousands of deaths to preserve their ideology..."

Given the contrast in current immigration views between typical left and right wing groups, is that not a little ironic.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Thanks for the pic that's of no relevance to my post :redface:

I merely asked out of sheer curiosity, why it would be characteristic of the left to "over look hundreds of thousands of deaths to preserve their ideology..."

Given the contrast in current immigration views between typical left and right wing groups, is that not a little ironic.

Your accusing the left of doing something a right wing party did. Your original post was , and i quote
"Rather typical of the left to over look hundreds of thousands of deaths to preserve their ideology..."

The left did not overlook the deaths of the Iraq war they despised Blair for it- It is actually right wing ideology which dives into wars. Unless that was a post you quoted
Your accusing the left of doing something a right wing party did. Your original post was , and i quote
"Rather typical of the left to over look hundreds of thousands of deaths to preserve their ideology..."

The left did not overlook the deaths of the Iraq war they despised Blair for it- It is actually right wing ideology which dives into wars. Unless that was a post you quoted

That wasn't my post, I was quoting another! I think that post was completely ridiculous! What you said is exactly what I think and what I was alluding to.
Reply 35
Original post by Kyou
Let's discount the fact that he should be tried for war crimes, shall we?

Feel free to report him down at your local police station. There is however, not so much as a prima facie case for that - and frankly the only people who genuinely believe that sort of nonsense either don't understand international law or are not quite right in the head.
Great leader minus Iraq and knew how to win an election.
Original post by L i b
Feel free to report him down at your local police station. There is however, not so much as a prima facie case for that - and frankly the only people who genuinely believe that sort of nonsense either don't understand international law or are not quite right in the head.

It's the kind of thing that people just mindlessly repeat from others, to sound like they know they were talking about.
Original post by L i b

Inclined to agree.

You remember how important it was for these people how the fact that the Iraq war supposedly didn't comply with the UN? When the UN is unambiguous, like recently in regards to combating ISIS these same people still go on about it being illegal. essentially, it's the law is only the law if it coincides with their interests (which is one of the arguments used against Blair in that he intervened in Iraq but sold weapons to the Saudis) .

Whilst I think there's undoubtedly a lot of dodgy going on in what you could call the interventionist crowd, I think the anti war movement is almost, if not as dodgy as their opponents.
Original post by Davij038
Very good overall: bad points-

Pro faiths schools
NHS Contracts
Cosied up the Saudis and Gaddafi
Dodgy arms deals
Became acompletely unhinged after Leaving officce

His disability policy was actually progressive.

Quick Reply