Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you feel about the current average price of new video games ? watch

• View Poll Results: What's the most you would pay for a new video game?
    Up to £30
    41.49%
    £30-£40
    28.76%
    £40-£50
    21.00%
    More than £50
    8.76%

ReputationRep:
    I think the price for GTA V for xbox one in a lot of places is quite mad (it's still 55 quid on the xbox store), as it's not a very new game but has barely depreciated in value.

Other than that it's normally okay as I tend not to buy games as soon as they come out anyways. However the new AAA releases are tending towards some pretty mad prices, so I fear for people that don't do what I do and wait for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a hardcore gaming fan
    now I'm too poor to even afford current games
    so I have to play the older ones, which happen to probably be better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I think the price for GTA V for xbox one in a lot of places is quite mad (it's still 55 quid on the xbox store), as it's not a very new game but has barely depreciated in value.
    That's the Xbox Store, the prices are extortionate there. Though they'll be the norm once games finally go digital-only.

ReputationRep:
    I wait for the prices to drop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neverdie)
    That's the Xbox Store, the prices are extortionate there. Though they'll be the norm once games finally go digital-only.
    Yeah I think my point should've been that I hate the xbox store prices, now that I've just looked at a few other games on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McGill95)
    I was curious to see what people think of the price of new video games across platforms.

Personally im in a mix up at times but i often put it down to what i think the worth of the game is to me and questioning if it's worth it, but since im not in a lot of money atm often i see the average as perhaps being a little high especially for consoles.
    Way too high I mean £50-£60 for most AAA title it's too much luckily there are web sites like G2A and CDkeys.com which some how manage to see them at a cheaper price.

ReputationRep:
    You can get most AAA games for £34-£38 if you actually look around. That is on console. Even cheaper on PC. You shouldn't pay over this. If you're paying £50+, you're either buying digitally (which is stupid in the UK, because the price is too high) or you probably still shop in GAME for some reason.

The prices of games are extremely fair. The hours of entertainment you get for the cost is hard to find anywhere else. It is also taking even longer to develop most games. Not the anual ****, but the majority of the rest is going to take 3/4 years.

Games nowadays have more replay value than they have ever had. Especially with so many devs putting multiplayer into their games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    I used to be a hardcore gaming fan
    now I'm too poor to even afford current games
    so I have to play the older ones, which happen to probably be better
    This.

Games have become so expensive relative to incomes that I rarely, if ever, buy games new. The advantage there is that I get to wait until the REAL review scores come in before I waste money and time on rubbish games, rather than constantly being let down by the hype train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    I remember paying about £30 for PS2 games, now it's about £45+ for PS4/PC games. :yawn:
    £30 at the release of the PS2 is about £47 in today's money, so that sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    Gaming is increasingly turning into a hobby reserved for the rich imo.
    Oh come off it, your value for money with video games is higher than most other entertainment sources. You could spend the same on newly released blu-rays and get maybe 6 hours out of it.

Pricing is fine for FINISHED games IMO, the only issue is prick developers releasing games with cut content and flogging it as DLC for an extra side £20. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of Nintendo games which never drop in price until after I've bought them, I haven't bought a £40ish game for about 7-8 years. Thanks to being cheap I get more for the same price so I always have a backlog. Too much of one.

Towards the tail end of the last gen I'd jump at £15-£20 depending on the game, now £20-£25 is when I'll usually move. I'm currently pondering over DmC DE for £12.99 :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frontflips)
    Oh come off it, your value for money with video games is higher than most other entertainment sources. You could spend the same on newly released blu-rays and get maybe 6 hours out of it.

Pricing is fine for FINISHED games IMO, the only issue is prick developers releasing games with cut content and flogging it as DLC for an extra side £20. :hmmm:
    Yeah, I agree with you on the "finished" games bit, but DLC, season passes and the online sub has added to the cost of gaining access to the full product.
    You also have to consider the looming introduction of hardware upgrades in the console space. If you want the best experience you'll have to keep upgrading - something that was never required in bygone generations.

ReputationRep:
    If games get any cheaper, they'll be completely free.

Oh wait, that's already happening...

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy to pay £30-£50 for a game.

I can't stand freemium games, winning should be based on skill.

ReputationRep:
    If you guys play PC you'll probably be happy to hear about this site https://www.g2a.com/r/hamazrod i never use steam,battle net, origin or others to buy games now. G2A have the games for atleast half the price sometimes going to 80% off. theres no limited time either its just always cheap. its a really good site everyone uses it for pc gaming. if you play pc i suggest you use it i have bought 26 games from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    I remember paying about £30 for PS2 games, now it's about £45+ for PS4/PC games. :yawn:
    I know! We had to beg our parents into buy the games for us. :cool: I've even stopped buying games on release, No I just wait for them to go on sale, then buy them. Only problem with me, I play the game for a bit then stop playing for like months because the game has been released for a while, everyone talks about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 50dkpminus)
    If you guys play PC you'll probably be happy to hear about this site https://www.g2a.com/r/hamazrod i never use steam,battle net, origin or others to buy games now. G2A have the games for atleast half the price sometimes going to 80% off. theres no limited time either its just always cheap. its a really good site everyone uses it for pc gaming. if you play pc i suggest you use it i have bought 26 games from there.
    Steam is in the past, their prices don't go so cheap any more, stores like GOG.com and key sites like G2A and Kinguin have taken their place really.

Origin is an EA store, it's never going to be cheap.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    Games are so expensive because consoles are relatively cheap. They don't make profit with consoles alone, but with the games. It's the same with printers and cartridges.

Once you have bought their main product, you become a "trapped customer".
    On top of that we get that people are comparing to 10+ years ago and complaining that inflation and wage growth is a thing

ReputationRep:
    Only buy stuff less than £20 in the Steam sales :woo:

ReputationRep:
    The most I'd pay for a game is probably £30 if it were a brand new game I was excited about, or that's the lowest it could go in Steam sales.

I generally avoid spending more than £10 on stuff if I can though

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.