Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Geometry isn't my strong suit, but the entire topic feels very unmotivated. It's one of those topics that you learn in GCSE and then never really use again (or at least, I don't use them consciously... hmm, interesting).
    I feel it challenges students in a different way to all the other topics.

I don't see why it isn't used again. I would put a chapter of harder geometry into A Level. Some nice long geometrical proofs would be a pleasant change. But maybe I'm weird.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Current (Year 11) spec - no A* in the new.
    Ah right. And by older specs you mean the specs prior to the current one.

Sorry got a bit confused by your post.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Circle theorems and geometery is lovely - how can you describe it as 'bleh'?! Learning to write a proof or a coherent explanation is a good discipline at this stage of developing mathematicians.
    I completely agree.

Sorry Zacken, you're just wrong - no argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    I feel it challenges students in a different way to all the other topics.

I don't see why it isn't used again. I would put a chapter of harder geometry into A Level. Some nice long geometrical proofs would be a pleasent change. But maybe I'm weird.
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...tics-2015.htmlI think the extra maturity of meeting differentiation after half a term in Year 12 makes a big difference - I think the majority of my students do have a good understanding at that stage.Circle theorems and geometery is lovely - how can you describe it as 'bleh'?! Learning to write a proof or a coherent explanation is a good discipline at this stage of developing mathematicians.
    Cheers, thanks for the insight. Both of you!

I guess I really need to work on my geometry skills, 'cause it seems I have some sort of cognitive bias against it for the moment. :lol: University-style geometry seems pretty cool (in the context of group theory) so I will do some digging during my summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    What do you guys think about the new gcse specification? Looking at the spiceman papers would you say that it's to hard, especially with them introducing a few a level topics, such as:
    iterative formuale
    compound and inverse functions
    gradients under a graph
    basic calculus and differentiation.
    Doing the last spec this year, and working and trying hard so I can escape that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Cheers, thanks for the insight. Both of you!

I guess I really need to work on my geometry skills, 'cause it seems I have some sort of cognitive bias against it for the moment. :lol: University-style geometry seems pretty cool (in the context of group theory) so I will do some digging during my summer.
    This is a basic book aimed at GCSE age group but it is thorough and the sort of thing I lend to interested students.

http://shop.ukmt.org.uk/ukmt-books/crossing-the-bridge

You can get it from other places - there are some beautiful theorems in geometry

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about the new gcse specification? Looking at the spiceman papers would you say that it's to hard, especially with them introducing a few a level topics, such as:
    iterative formuale
    compound and inverse functions
    gradients under a graph
    basic calculus and differentiation.

Oh yeah the new 9 -1 spec where Hannahs sweets will be appearing all day. Along with her buddies. Yeah defo looking forward. Kappa.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the paper 3(problem solving) and paper 2.
    This looks pretty similar to the iGCSE paper I did😂 GCSE maths will be fine depending on how well it's taught and the motivation of the student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddFuturez)
    That's a slight exaggeration they weren't far too easy lol
    It is, the current GCSE is an absolute joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    It is, the current GCSE is an absolute joke.
    yes by TSR standards and people who do A level maths or further maths................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddFuturez)
    yes by TSR standards and people who do A level maths or further maths................
    People who claim they cant do maths usually just hate it for no real reason, or just cant be asked to try. The majority of TSR is people who want to achieve high grades so they get them rather than the fact that they are naturally "smarter". Granted there are people that have a genuine problem and cannot do maths as well as someone without that problem (Dyscalculia) but this is a very small portion of the population.

ReputationRep:
    At least now they're replacing the old 'trial and improvement' method to solving equations with iterative formula's/bisection method (basically equivalent to trial and improvement just more 'mathematical').
    It was stupid saying that for this value of x, f(x) is too small or too big, not very mathematical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.