Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Brexit poll; how your attitudes have changed watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How have your views on brexit changed?
    Consistently Remain
    36.51%
    Consistently Leave
    30.16%
    Was Remain, now Leave
    14.29%
    Was Leave, now Remain
    12.70%
    Still undecided
    6.35%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Strictly speaking immigration does not need to increase since we have sufficient control to force net emigration if we wished.
    Deportations?

The fact they are thirld worlders is bad though and something that concerns me greatly, these people (putting education and skills aside even) are not one of us either ethnically, religiously or culturally.
    I understand, but I'm still not convinced that Brexit will necessarily prevent these people coming here.

I'm saying that the pain will be minimal and is not something to be afraid of, the long run benefits of in-out are largely the same when you consider that both the EU and UK will peruse trade. Going Out costs us more on net because with in you have no short term pain but it's not a remotely substantial cost given that growth and employment are fairly solid (losing 0.5% of growth and 500,000 jobs is small fry).

Regarding Corbyn i don't see the threat really albeit yes, the chances of his election increase from maybe 30% to 35%. Short of a proper recession (not caused by leaving the EU), the Tories are home and dry in 2020 i feel.
    With the inevitable losses and the unlikely prospect of Brexit trade deals progressing anyway near as smoothly as made out could well be enough to topple a lets not forget pretty fractured Tory party.

[quots]
    Scotland is not a price i would be willing to pay but at the same time our political class (both Labour and Tories) have no idea how to save the union and regions should not hold the rest of the union to ransom. If the EU is sufficient to push Scotland out then our political class has already lost Scotland.[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting and fair point. The wY you have made it out I can envisage an England morphing into a kind of Switzerland and gradually joining the EU piecemeal with London getting opt outs as a dodgy tax haven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Deportations?

I understand, but I'm still not convinced that Brexit will necessarily prevent these people coming here.

With the inevitable losses and the unlikely prospect of Brexit trade deals progressing anyway near as smoothly as made out could well be enough to topple a lets not forget pretty fractured Tory party.

[quots]
    Scotland is not a price i would be willing to pay but at the same time our political class (both Labour and Tories) have no idea how to save the union and regions should not hold the rest of the union to ransom. If the EU is sufficient to push Scotland out then our political class has already lost Scotland.
    That's an interesting and fair point. The wY you have made it out I can envisage an England morphing into a kind of Switzerland and gradually joining the EU piecemeal with London getting opt outs as a dodgy tax haven.[/QUOTE]

No. We have sufficient control of non-EU immigration that even with free European movement, reducing non-EU immigration to zero would cause net emigration.

Fracturing is not an issue since the leadership election will have finished. Trade deals won't decide the election since they are not as important (beyond the big EU one) as people make out. So long as the EU gives us access to the market (they will), we're fine.

That's probably what the Tories are aiming for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    I'm not going to add loads of options because it will be too sparsely populated to be useful to anyone. In your case, put Remain, now leave.
    No, cause I wasn't remain before I was undecided. Pointless poll

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.