Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    Maths and possibly Further Maths, also a science would be nice to go along with them.
    I don't enjoy Science AT ALL so I'm not taking those. And Maths is quite hard at GCSE so I don't really want to do it at A Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlee45)
    No I'm not interested in that either :/ it involved a lot of class discussions and I'm quite a quiet person so I didn't see the point in taking it for GCSE, let alone A-Level. I'm not interested in Humanities either, or drama or anything like that. I absolutely hate Science, my schools science department is awful anyway and last years Year 11s did terrible in the science GCSEs so theres no way I'm doing that for A Level. And Maths is hard enough in GCSE, so thats a no too! I'm so stuck. I honestly don't know what to do, I've even asked my close friends for advice and they don't know either.
    Do you have to do four A-levels? you can do three?
    I'm planning to do these three:
    Philosophy and Ethics
    Geography
    English Language
    But i might change to do Product Design, if i don't like Language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    You asked for suggestions but you're batting away every suggestion we make Have you been to taster days??
    I'm sorryyy and I'm not sure. Are taster days like an open evening? Or induction day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by أنيسة)
    Do you have to do four A-levels? you can do three?
    I'm planning to do these three:
    Philosophy and Ethics
    Geography
    English Language
    But i might change to do Product Design, if i don't like Language.
    If I could do three, i would, definitely! But i don't think i can the letter i was given says that I have to put down 4 subjects and a reserve in case we can't do a subject we've chosen.

ReputationRep:
    If I could do three, i would, definitely! But i don't think i can the letter i was given says that I have to put down 4 subjects and a reserve in case we can't do a subject we've chosen.
    My letter said that too, but you are allowed to do three.
    In fact, we were advised to do three, unless you are predicted almost all A*.
    As if you do four, your not allowed to drop one.

Do you have an interview you have to go to for sixth-form?,
    Usually they discuss how many you can do then.

ReputationRep:
    with the new system the standard is 3 a levels (most offers) but some more intense courses like medicine require a fourth AS but 3 a levels is definitely fine and is now the norm with the new system

ReputationRep:
    Take a mix- 2 what you're really good at, 1 to open career paths and another one for fun. I took German, geography (2 good), biology (career path) and psychology (fun-but ended up switching to chem to wider the bio path) and don't regret it at all Take stuff you're good at and you'll thank yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Take a mix- 2 what you're really good at, 1 to open career paths and another one for fun. I took German, geography (2 good), biology (career path) and psychology (fun-but ended up switching to chem to wider the bio path) and don't regret it at all Take stuff you're good at and you'll thank yourself
    Thats actually a really good idea! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    with the new system the standard is 3 a levels (most offers) but some more intense courses like medicine require a fourth AS but 3 a levels is definitely fine and is now the norm with the new system
    So I dont have to do 4th I don't want to? Wow thats made me so much more relieved. So i can just do 3 A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by أنيسة)
    My letter said that too, but you are allowed to do three.
    In fact, we were advised to do three, unless you are predicted almost all A*.
    As if you do four, your not allowed to drop one.

Do you have an interview you have to go to for sixth-form?,
    Usually they discuss how many you can do then.
    Oh really? I had no idea, i thought we had to do four. And yes I have a meeting in August when i get my GCSE results and get to decide my final options. But for induction day, I have to put down four sunjects and a fifth that i would be "interested" in, so I'm a little confused about that.

ReputationRep:
    So I dont have to do 4th I don't want to? Wow thats made me so much more relieved. So i can just do 3 A Levels?
    I am currently in year 12 and a fair amount of people in my class do 3 alevels but those who are looking at the most prestigious unis and courses are doing a fourth as or fourth a level to stand out so it all depends on where you want to go and which course you want to do

ReputationRep:
    have you considered philosophy and or RE,economics or business

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? I had no idea, i thought we had to do four. And yes I have a meeting in August when i get my GCSE results and get to decide my final options. But for induction day, I have to put down four sunjects and a fifth that i would be "interested" in, so I'm a little confused about that.
    Yes, we had that day too. Its just so you can experience what the subjects will be like. They have nothing to do with what you choose.
    i put:
    Photography
    Geography
    Graphics
    Psycology
    French
    and i'm not even taking half of those

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorryyy and I'm not sure. Are taster days like an open evening? Or induction day
    Taster days are where you can go and try out the subjects 😊
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    What do you mean by facilitating subjects?
    If you Google them there should be a list. Basically some subjects are regarded as more suitable by top universities than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by أنيسة)
    Yes, we had that day too. Its just so you can experience what the subjects will be like. They have nothing to do with what you choose.
    i put:
    Photography
    Geography
    Graphics
    Psycology
    French
    and i'm not even taking half of those
    Ahh i see! That's made me feel much better about the whole thing, I was really stressing about it. Thank you so much! And you're sure I'll be able to take just 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    If you Google them there should be a list. Basically some subjects are regarded as more suitable by top universities than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay,thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh i see! That's made me feel much better about the whole thing, I was really stressing about it. Thank you so much! And you're sure I'll be able to take just 3?
    Yes, most definitely
    Your welcome

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted mostly As and Bs, and I'm aiming for an A* in Graphics. I've heard a bit about apprenticeships but aren't they things like hairdressing or building? I've never really looked into them
    If you don't know what you want to do take subjects you think you'll enjoy and a variety of subjects then
    You have good predictions so talk to someone who knows you well at school (but not a subject teacher as they may persuade you in favour for their subject) e.g. head of year or sixth form.
    I changed my options in September so their is no rush- you could apply for different collages and sixth forms and pick the subject after you know your results.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your school at mine if you have lower GCSE results you only do 3, but everyone else does 4 because then you can drop one if it doesn't work out.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.