The Student Room Group

STEM snobbery

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
STEM snobbery is bad, but so is your non-STEM snobbery. Don't diss another subject just because you're bad at it, just like you wouldn't like someone else to diss your non-STEM subject.
Original post by zacken
stem snobbery is bad, but so is your non-stem snobbery. Don't diss another subject just because you're bad at it, just like you wouldn't like someone else to diss your non-stem subject.

thank you
Reply 22
Yeah, fair enough. I'm as STEM as it gets but I dislike it when people go all elitist about them. The arts and humanities are friggin' awesome.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, fair enough. I'm as STEM as it gets but I dislike it when people go all elitist about them. The arts and humanities are friggin' awesome.

I salute anyone who can survive a history degree
I am familiar with this STEM snobbery a lot. STEM students only display their subjects as better as they usually have no creative talent or essay skills, and are only able to learn facts given in front of them (soz for being truthful lmao:h:).

The people who like STEM subjects and arty based subjects never seem to bash non-science lessons however, and agree that both are needed for the world to revolve. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DrownedDeity
Propaganda, simply wrong.

You'd see what I meant if you attempted some Math proofs.

I do not want to.
No I only took history to A Level, I was so interested by the subject but I was so bad with exam technique that I started to hate it towards the end because I couldn't get decent grades 😞
Im sorry but I just cant treat PE at A-Level as the same as say Physics or Further Maths, and neither will most universities if not all.
I don't think you should take the snobbery of your STEM-studying friends so seriously.

They probably feel that since science helps us have a better understand of reality then spending time thinking about things which aren't real is probably less valuable.

At University, I know that some of my STEM-studying friends are jealous of arts and humanities students who have at most one lecture a day. They are able to get by by skimming their reading list and so end up with a lot of free time in comparison to the long days of people who study different subjects.
You're so lucky that you can do A Level Gov&Pol, I wish I could but my school doesn't offer it :frown: It would fit so well with my other options as well.
STEM isn't everything and all subjects are important and difficult in their own way.
I do STEM A-Levels because I genuinely enjoy them and i'm a lot better at them than humanities or arts. I loved languages, music, drama and history at GCSE but I found them soo hard.
We need people who can write/express, communicate with other societies and entertain just as much as we need people to research, invent, calculate and solve.
Humanities students subsidise STEM students, they should be grateful.
Original post by Changing Skies
Biology :biggrin:

Why don't people consider Biology a proper STEM subject?
meh, fair enough, he's being silly.

How often do the stem students in your school need to write essays? I never practice the violin, hence I'm not very good at it.
Reply 34
mate you need a balance like u can't just be all science and facts and logic sometimes u need a bit of creativity that comes from non stem subjects as well as sciences
as Einstein said: logic gets you from A to B.... imagination takes u everywhere :P
Reply 35
I do three STEM subjects and History... History is my hardest as there's a **** ton of dates to remember.
Gap year now but I start Diagnostic Radiogtaphy in September
Original post by george_c00per
I am familiar with this STEM snobbery a lot. STEM students only display their subjects as better as they usually have no creative talent or essay skills, and are only able to learn facts given in front of them (soz for being truthful lmao:h:).

The people who like STEM subjects and arty based subjects never seem to bash non-science lessons however, and agree that both are needed for the world to revolve. :smile:

We do plenty of essays, however some STEM students can be butt holes. Then again, so can others.

Maybe my view is different because I've always been into acting. I guess the pessimist within me avoided that route because it's a big gamble vs Engineering.
I have changed from an Artsy degree to a Computing degree.

Sometimes, I don't know whether I changed because I was jealous I didn't do a STEM degree or not...
I personally don't get why people think STEM is everything. I mean all subjects have their pros and cons. Non STEM subjects can be useful in various ways as well

Quick Reply