Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysqa)
    Hi, just dropping in to calm a few nerves. The changes really won't affect how you do in the exam. Here's the latest information - the exam will be going ahead as scheduled on Thursday

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/76648.html
    The changes will affect it though as we have been preparing for what we predicted to come up and now that prediction is out the window because of changes due to leaks. Or are you telling us we can still go along with our predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TartanGibby)
    The changes will affect it though as we have been preparing for what we predicted to come up and now that prediction is out the window because of changes due to leaks. Or are you telling us we can still go along with our predictions?
    I always wanted a petition for Higher English... hahaha

And I couldn't agree more^^

If something was changed, that's not fair. Especially when we are like 48 hours away from our exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff548)
    I always wanted a petition for Higher English... hahaha

And I couldn't agree more^^

If something was changed, that's not fair. Especially when we are like 48 hours away from our exam
    prsom

I guess we will have to wait and see what Thursday brings, if there is a petition I will be the first to sign it if I don't create it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    What were your predictions??
    Well was hoping the Close Reading would be on technology or an activity (farming, shopping). But close reading could be anything so that's a wild guess.

The *****:

Was predicting a Roderick to be really honest for the cone gatherers

For essays:

Key scene/turning point for Drama

Setting/place for poetry

Maybe a death/suffering/loss for poetry as well

ReputationRep:
    prsom

I guess we will have to wait and see what Thursday brings, if there is a petition I will be the first to sign it if I don't create it lol
    prsom???

I was genuinely about to say that!!! I will be second in line now to sign the petition if there is one.

Goddamit I would forward to everybody I know sitting English and get it to spread

ReputationRep:
    prsom???

I was genuinely about to say that!!! I will be second in line now to sign the petition if there is one.

Goddamit I would forward to everybody I know sitting English and get it to spread
    prsom = please rate some other member

Great minds think a like

ReputationRep:
    prsom = please rate some other member

Great minds think a like
    ohhhh hahaha

awwwww shtap it, you gonna make me blush boi

ReputationRep:
    s**t now I have to learn two poems when I could have just done one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysqa)
    Hi, just dropping in to calm a few nerves. The changes really won't affect how you do in the exam. Here's the latest information - the exam will be going ahead as scheduled on Thursday

What on Earth do you guys mean by you "identified a potential issue"?

You mean as in it was worded wrong? You mean someone stole a paper?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysqa)

Hi, I was just reading the statement provided by the SQA with regards to the change of the Higher English paper. I understand that all content within final exams go through "rigorous quality checks" however, can candidates really trust this? It wasn't even one year ago that the SQA set a higher mathematics exam well above higher level.
    The SQA should aim to make exam time as pleasant as possible, not put stress on candidates.
    Please take note that a comment on an online forum does not calm any nerves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiMai)
    Hi, I was just reading the statement provided by the SQA with regards to the change of the Higher English paper. I understand that all content within final exams go through "rigorous quality checks" however, can candidates really trust this? It wasn't even one year ago that the SQA set a higher mathematics exam well above higher level.
    The SQA should aim to make exam time as pleasant as possible, not put stress on candidates.
    Please take note that a comment on an online forum does not calm any nerves.
    !!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    im confused did everyone else have predictions and only study certain things? This is the first I've heard of predicting what would be in the exam and only studying some essay questions, so far I have been trying to learn everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra1899)
    im confused did everyone else have predictions and only study certain things? This is the first I've heard of predicting what would be in the exam and only studying some essay questions, so far I have been trying to learn everything
    Of course everyone learns everything but the majority of candidates make a rough prediction and slight guess as to what may come up to further their chance of the highest possible mark.

Me for example, I have to learn 4 texts this year and others only learning 2. So instead of learning all 4 thoroughly I learn them all briefly and focus more on the ones I assume will appear in the exam, to hopefully further my chance of getting an A!

ReputationRep:
    Aahahahahaha 2 types of people on this thread:

1) People trying to see if its harder or easier now

2) People trying to get the old paper lol
    Im both actually lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treen98)
    It should be the same level and regardless of the difficulty you should still get the same overall grade
    yeah I do agree with treen(tsr won't allow me to rate u!
    plus even IF it is harder, all we could do is revise more :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junioh)
    yeah I do agree with treen(tsr won't allow me to rate u!
    plus even IF it is harder, all we could do is revise more :/
    Even if it is harder, it only works in our favour because people will make a petition like last year.

ReputationRep:
    sooo how did everyone find the exam, it was pretty badly worded for me anyways

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree it was quite badly worded.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the exam went quite well actually. The close reading was slightly challenging, but I'm confident I passed. The poetry was alright too (I did Mrs Midas) and I think I got a reasonably high mark for it. Was extremely disappointed with the questions offered for drama though! Did the conflict one and made Romeo and Juliet fit it. My English teacher said there would be a divide for the Romeo and Juliet with those who would do really well and those who would do very poorly without much middle ground. Was really hoping for a sympathy/turning point question but never mind. We can only do our best with what we have!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    From the exam, my guess is that the second paper had to be replaced... The first one was about 16 and 17 year olds voting and considering that the Scottish elections are today, it was a very relevant/appropriate topic and therefore I think it seemed like one that would have been used originally. What does anyone else think?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.