Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swearing is not bad, and does not make you look stupid or inarticulate Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    It is not a swear word though, it is quite acceptable in scrabble. If TSR mods consider it so then it should be XXXXed out.
    According to whom? :holmes:

I understand that swear words are allowed most versions of Scrabble.I don't know if TSR censors words they've categorised as 'swear words' or just those that are sufficiently offensive/vulgar.

The whole concept of 'swear words' is completely subjective

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    According to whom? :holmes:

I understand that swear words are allowed most versions of Scrabble.I don't know if TSR censors words they've categorised as 'swear words' or just those that are sufficiently offensive/vulgar.

The whole concept of 'swear words' is completely subjective
    NOUN
    1. archaicderogatorya person born of parents not married to each other.synonyms: illegitimate child · child born out of wedlock · love child · [more]
    2. informalan unpleasant or despicable person."he lied to me, the *******!"synonyms: scoundrel · villain · rogue · rascal · brute · animal · [more]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. archaicderogatoryborn of parents not married to each other; illegitimate."a ******* child"synonyms: illegitimate · born out of wedlock · natural
    2. (of a thing) no longer in its pure or original form; debased: "a ******* Darwinism"synonyms: hybrid · alloyed · adulterated · impure · inferior
    This from Oxford dictionaries, I used it in the informal noun way to describe the Abrahamic god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    NOUN
    1. archaicderogatorya person born of parents not married to each other.synonyms: illegitimate child · child born out of wedlock · love child · [more]
    2. informalan unpleasant or despicable person."he lied to me, the *******!"synonyms: scoundrel · villain · rogue · rascal · brute · animal · [more]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. archaicderogatoryborn of parents not married to each other; illegitimate."a ******* child"synonyms: illegitimate · born out of wedlock · natural
    2. (of a thing) no longer in its pure or original form; debased: "a ******* Darwinism"synonyms: hybrid · alloyed · adulterated · impure · inferior
    This from Oxford dictionaries, I used it in the informal noun way to describe the Abrahamic god.
    who, as described by the bible, is of course a ******* by definition (2). i agree with the sentiment.

but that doesn't make it not a swear word

ReputationRep:
    Because if you swear at the wrong time it brings down the whole gosh darn tone... you c**t. (Yay to anyone who gets that reference).

I dont mind swear words, i understand there is a time and a place given their social context but they're not inherently a sign of illiteracy. Swearing a lot is the domain of those who convince themselves they're just words though to be cool and alternative (speaking as a swearer, a bad habit picked up in my youth =P ). Those actions we think show nothing about ourselves actually give away the most.

ReputationRep:
    It can do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.