• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by hellowhatismynam)
    I'm not sure who my senco is (although I have an idea) and when she was talking to me about not being allowed to take my exam in a separate room she kinda pressured me into saying that I'm fine with doing it in the main hall, so i've got my parents to contact them

I remember a few months ago, she asked me if i wanted to sit in a separate room (this was after my mocks as I had taken one exam out) and she said she'd sort it out, months later she hasn't done anything
    Pressured you into doing something that doesn't suit you, I bet the pta and governors would love to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I have a dyslexic friend who mentioned that he isn't allowed to use cream paper in his exam to help making it easier for him to read. He claimed that it was against the exam board regulations and not the school.
    Is this normal for exam boards to do, or is it just my school cutting on costs?
    If it was what exam boards do then isn't it discrimination?
    Coloured paper is allowed if it is the candidate's normal way of working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Pressured you into doing something that doesn't suit you, I bet the pta and governors would love to hear that.
    I'll bring the up once I finish school : - )

thanks for the help today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Coloured paper is allowed if it is the candidate's normal way of working.
    I didn't know this at the start of creating the post, but he mentioned that he hasn't been officially diagnosed with it. If he feels using cream paper is a lot easier would he still be allowed to use it?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, that's very helpful. My school are also not allowing me to go into a separate room for my exam, even though I find it difficult, and with medical proof, sitting in a room with so many people for a few hours. I'll be glad to leave next year
    A separate room is only allowed if there is long-standing evidence of need and should only be considered when other adjustments (e.g. seat at back) are not sufficient.

I'm going to sound really unsympathetic but the number of candidates (or their parents) claiming that they need to be in a room on their own increases every year and is just not achievable or affordable. Schools just don't have that many spare rooms, or the £400 or so per student it would cost for an invigilator for all a candidate's Year 11 exams. They are only going to provide it if there really is no other option. You say you have 'medical proof' but I suspect it is a letter from a GP saying it would be a nice idea.

I don't know what your issue with being with others is, but try thinking about what would lessen it - taking an exam in a room with other people but not taking the same exam as you? being able to see the door? being at the back? and then ask if they can arrange that.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know this at the start of creating the post, but he mentioned that he hasn't been officially diagnosed with it. If he feels using cream paper is a lot easier would he still be allowed to use it?
    If it's an idea he's just had then it is too late. Access arrangements in exams are only for reflecting a candidate's normal way of working - so handouts etc should have been being copied for him onto coloured paper since, realistically, at least the start of the GCSE course.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.