Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Illegally drove and hit a car Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haiderkkhan)
    There is small problem here.. I was driving at around 12:30am few days ago and I do not have insurance on the car and neither do i have a full license, I had driven quiet a lot back in my country. But I hit a car by the side, it was a scratch situation and I panicked, I continued driving and was about to stop when i saw the car i hit which was a taxi follow me so I continued driving to get of the rush as it was near train station and police would go around there, i continued driving to a street where i was about to stop and i gave several indicators to the taxi driver to follow me, but he over take me and stopped right in front of me. And to current, its been 6 days, he does know I had no license or insurance, so he is asking for money which is £670 that he wouldn’t tell police and if i don’t pay he will(I got the whole proof on my phone), but as a student I am not able to pay that myself and as he didn’t inform police within 24 hrs and is now hiding the crime of me driving underage. What problems could this cause for me if the police finds and what to him from the police’s side.

Ps. I am aged 17. And yeh it was a stupid idea driving my dads car without their knowledge.
    There's a fair bit of misinformation here.

If you have exchanged details there is no obligation to report the incident to the police. However, should the taxi driver take the matter up with his insurance company, they will almost certainly require a crime reference number. He is not 'hiding a crime' and does not need to report you for driving underage, which you were not, you were driving not in accordance with your licence. So long as he is all above board, there is no disadvantage to him reporting you to the police, aside from his no claims.

He has asked you for money to settle the damage without making an insurance claim. This is probably the best route for both of you.

If the police do investigate you're likely to be charged with taking the vehicle without consent. The police will require vehicle's registered keeper to name the driver of the car at the time of the crash. Your dad will either name you, in which case you'll be charged with twoc and driving otherwise in accordance, or will claim to have driven himself. If he does, and the taxi driver says otherwise, that would be a big mistake.

ReputationRep:
    There you go thats the kind of answer I am looking for. Thanks! Not like the others just telling me stuff.
    That's right, you came on here to look for an answer which you want to hear, not for other people's advice/opinion. You already know what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    There you go thats the kind of answer I am looking for. Thanks! Not like the others just telling me stuff.
    To add to this, paying as soon as possible is by far the most sensible option.

I don't know the extent of the damage to the taxi, but taxis are held to a higher standard of roadworthiness than ordinary vehicles, ergo a few unsightly dents and it would fail a taxi test, meaning he can't work. If he can't work he will undoubtedly have shady accident management companies ringing up, offering him a hire car and attempting to recover the cost of this from you/your dad. They are legally obliged to make sure as best they can that the hire remains as short as possible but in reality they are in the business of making it as long as possible.

Just a thing to think about - hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't put that kind of behaviour past some companies.

ReputationRep:
    Come on, like I am a human as well and i didnt hit that car intentionally. Humans do make mistakes
    The issue here isn't that you hit the car. It happens, I've done that. The issue is that you are driving illegally, and have done on multiple occasions. This is something that you did do intentionally. Do you not understand that this is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    TWOC, driving other than in accord with a licence, driving without insurance, possibly failing to stop (though you did eventually) - assuming you're a first offender, ignore the scary maximum fines, they're unlikely - but you should be disqualified from driving, and you should get fined, as well as CPS costs and victim surcharge. But you did break the law. I'm wondering if the taxi driver is also guilty of anything for not reporting it to his insurance company as a minimum...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.