Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Almost 17 and 5"7... Will I grow anymore? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunq)
    Dude just eat healthy and you'll grow. Men don't stop growing until 21. I wouldn't worry about it, lol, I'm 5'8 and 18 xD

Yes, weights will stunt your growth, I'd keep away from them until you reached your peak height.
    This is bro science 101. Ignore this OP

Your best chance of growing any taller is lifting heavy (high intensity) this releases HGH and boosts testestorone one of the essential hormones of growth. Combine this with a healthy high protein diet and daily stretches and you'll definately grow.
    I encourage you to do heavy squats as its one of the best exercises for releasing HGH but make sure tou start of very low and get your form 100% correct. Otherwise it could have the oppsite effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally)
    This is bro science 101. Ignore this OP

Your best chance of growing any taller is lifting heavy (high intensity) this releases HGH and boosts testestorone one of the essential hormones of growth. Combine this with a healthy high protein diet and daily stretches and you'll definately grow.
    I encourage you to do heavy squats as its one of the best exercises for releasing HGH but make sure tou start of very low and get your form 100% correct. Otherwise it could have the oppsite effect.
    Thanks for the reply, I was quite worried as I had just got a gym membership hahaha, and yeah I'm going to start taking protein shakes as well so hopefully that helps

ReputationRep:
    I used to be mega insecure about my height, I'm like 5'8ish (honestly don't know) but trust me, it's only a big deal if you make it one! Tom Cruise is 5'7 and look how many people love him

ReputationRep:
    I was only 6ft when I was 17 and then I grew a few more inches in the next year so it's possible.

But, as has been stated, it's not something you can control or you should worry about. It's not really going to disadvantage you in any meaningful way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam_1999)
    So basically I am really insecure about my height. I know that I should just accept it and get on with my life as there are people in much worse situations, but I just really struggle to accept the fact that I am short and probably will be for the rest of my life.

Is there any chance I will keep growing for a couple more years and get to like 5"10? M parents aren't short either at 5"11 and 5"6... so I feel as though I definitely reached my limits, but I haven't seen significant growth for the last year or so which is what worries me.

Are there any exercises I can do to try and help my body to gain a few more inches? Also is there any foods that I should be eating? And will lifting weights stunt my growth?
    Don't worry about it mate. The sooner you ignore your worry and start enjoying how you are you'll be happier.

5'7 is pretty much average, I know 5'9 is the official average but walking around campus 5'7 seems to be average.

Girls aren't as interested in appearance as men are, they're more concerned with personality. Also, think of it this way, if a girl isn't gonna date you because of your height, do you even really want to be with someone like that anyway?

I don't think lifting weights will stunt your growth at all, in fact, it may even help spur growth due to increased release of testosterone. Just avoid stuff that compresses your spine, like squats.

5'7 is a perfectly normal height and so don't feel self concious about it, no one's even noticing your height. Head up lad

ReputationRep:
    So basically I am really insecure about my height. I know that I should just accept it and get on with my life as there are people in much worse situations, but I just really struggle to accept the fact that I am short and probably will be for the rest of my life.

Is there any chance I will keep growing for a couple more years and get to like 5"10? M parents aren't short either at 5"11 and 5"6... so I feel as though I definitely reached my limits, but I haven't seen significant growth for the last year or so which is what worries me.

Are there any exercises I can do to try and help my body to gain a few more inches? Also is there any foods that I should be eating? And will lifting weights stunt my growth?
    Well if you don't want to take any chances, you're 17 so your growth plates are still open for maybe another 2 years.

What you can do is take growth hormone injections, that will make you grow taller... however it's expensive as hell but you might be able to get your GP to prescribe it if you can make a good case for yourself like you need to be taller because you want to join the Dutch army cuz your grandfather is Dutch or something like that

ReputationRep:
    Your body will gradually stop growing and have finished by the time you've 'finished' puberty. As that is when your body will stop producing the GH hormone in high quantities. My Dad hit a growth spurt at 17 until he was 19, but I was done at 16 so it varies.

5'7 isn't short, sounds like an average height. But yeah I know where you are coming from, I always wanted to be taller surrounded by some of the giants in my family.

5'7 is a great height to be a rock climber if you want to pick up a hobby. -Why? Because it's the happy medium of having decent reach while not being so big that technical climbing gets impeded by your own big body size

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching a documentary about an adolescent who was given HGH to make him grow taller. The boy did not have a hormone imbalance, he was just small for his age. It was stated that HGH growth hormone would not make him any taller than his natural genetics dictated. With HGH, he would just reach his potential sooner.

PS. HGH has the capability to make EVERY part of you grow, and should be approached with extreme caution.

ReputationRep:
    *Almost 18 and 5'3'' :shot:*

All these birds wanting a taller guy...

ReputationRep:

I'm a 22 year old male and 5ft6. I wouldn't worry about it. Being short has great advantages especially in the back seats of cars and on planes/trains

ReputationRep:
    Men grow the most from 12 to 16 with the increase in height being as high as 12 inches in normal cases. Boys actually gain the most weight during this period, too. The growth during this time period is mostly in the extremities with the legs, feet, arms and hands growing the fastest. It is for this reason that most teenage boys look very clumsy as they start getting accustomed to the changes in their body. Hair starts to appear all over the body during this period while change in the vocal cords occurs. The skin starts to get very oily during this period too and usually leads to acne. However, by 18, the body grows to its fullest with the shoulders getting broad and the body becoming more muscular.
    So, the most appropriate answer to questions like ‘what age do boys stop growing’ or ‘when do guys stop growing’ would be 18. However, there are a few cases where men continue to grow till 21 as well while there can be the odd exceptional case where a man might continue to grow till 25.

another way to work out your rough range parents height added together divide by 2 and you will fall within a 20%range of that. being a massive 5ft 9 being shorter than normal does not matter if your healthy just forget about it and enjoy your life. it works out the otherway my b in law is 6ft 4 finds it difficult to find cloths to fit.want to be a pilot but was to tall.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's 5 ft 7 and he's doing just fine. The trick is to be confident, that way you end up looking bigger than you actually are. Most girls aren't as petty as those who just want guys over 6ft so just ignore those b*****

ReputationRep:
    As you get older, you'll realise that your height is one of the least important things you need to worry about, even though it might seem all consuming now. 5'7" isn't tall, no, but it's hardly dwarf-like either!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.