Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What wouldn't you tell your Doctor watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    If you die because something you're prescribed reacts with the valium I don't think anybody would care what kind of label you have in your medical records. If you don't care about your health or your life you should probably - ironically - see your GP
    Well, I'd still care (I'd be turning in my grave possibly). And what is he going to do? All that depression ******** doesn't work. Many depressed people are not actually depressed, we are simply realists who see the world for what it truly is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmith6131)
    As a medical student I am very interested to know the sorts of things you wouldn't tell you doctor

(a) if asked an open question (e.g: can you tell be about things you do that might damage your health)

(b) if asked a closed question (e.g: do you smoke)

I would really appreciate all answers so if you don't want to be named, please post anonymously.

Thank you
    Hmmmm, lie to them about anything that seems remotely scary....(maybe if they suggested like severing my arm off i'd be like no i'm fine xD(but seriously nothing most likely since they're there to help, how can they help when you don't tell them what's actually wrong?)

just for fun an alternate answer would that
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i would lie to them about everything, i.e how much i have sex, drink do drugs, all that bad stuff then soon reveal maybe after keeping that up after a year or so maybe i'd tell them it was a a lie
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's just a prank bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Well, it's better than having 'addict' on your medical records. I don't really care about my health or life anymore either so *shrugs*
    I'm really sorry you feel that way. It must be really hard.

Have you tried using self-help books, or CBT (cognitivie behavioural therapy). There are lots of books, talk-groups and medical professionalls who would be able to help you and I really hope you can find the strength to try some of them out.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I lie about the amount of partners I have.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry you feel that way. It must be really hard.

Have you tried using self-help books, or CBT (cognitivie behavioural therapy). There are lots of books, talk-groups and medical professionalls who would be able to help you and I really hope you can find the strength to try some of them out.
    Self-help books - yeah. Hell, I even studied psychology in college, before all that, so I know all the basics. But I always come to the same conclusion. Anyway, that's all I'm going to say, don't want to turn the topic into 'my problems' topic, haha.

ReputationRep:
    As a medical student I am very interested to know the sorts of things you wouldn't tell you doctor

(a) if asked an open question (e.g: can you tell be about things you do that might damage your health)

(b) if asked a closed question (e.g: do you smoke)

I would really appreciate all answers so if you don't want to be named, please post anonymously.

Thank you
    If you asked me the first question, my most likely answer would be "I don't know". There are many things I do (or don't do) which may be damaging to my health, but I may simply not know that they are, or just not think of them at the time. Working night shifts increases my risk of breast cancer, running causes permanent damage to my knees, eating irregularly increases my risk of getting gallstones... All these things could damage my health, but I would not immediately think of them if you asked me the question.

If you asked me closed questions, I would give honest yes/no answers. You would also be more likely to get the answers you are interested in

(I would not complicate taking a social history by asking open questions. They are more useful when asking about the presenting complaint, and you will have hopefully built enough of a rapport with the patient by the time you get to the social history for them to answer those questions honestly.)

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    I don't lie about anything because I'm not an idiot and I know they ask questions because they might be medically relevant. What's more important, that I get the right diagnosis or I save myself a little bit of embarrassment or shame? Besides if I'm doing anything that I would be embarrassed or ashamed to tell my doctor then I clearly need to change my behaviour or my attitude.
    Lying to your doctor about something doesn't necessarily mean you're an idiot. It could be that you are not mentally prepared to be honest about it with them. That certainly happened with me, and I'm sure it happens to a lot of people, specially those with mental health issues. For example, some issues that I had were only revealed after months of professional supervision.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.