Poll: Will the UK ban on the sale of psychoactive substances be enforced by the end of May?
Yes (8)
44.44%
No (10)
55.56%
JordanL_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RobML)
What about the slave trade?

Anyway, I suggested the better route would be to just legalise most drugs, so that ****ty untested synthetic cannabis (the majority of legal highs do seem to be ****ty untested synthetic cannabis) and what have you would become unattractive to both sellers and buyers.
Fair enough, I completely agree with that. But either way this piece of legislation just shouldn't exist.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm against banning legal highs to be honest! If 12 year olds want to go out and act really cool by doing some ****ty legal high, then let them imo... They'll realise how **** they are when they try the good stuff later on in life...
hovado
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JordanL_)
But this doesn't just ban "legal highs". It bans EVERY SUBSTANCE which affects the brain. It bans research chemicals, making medical research into Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, depression, all sorts of psychiatric and neurological disorders significantly more difficult. It bans herbal treatments for depression and anxiety. It bans every single substance developed in the future which affects the brain.
I think there have been a few amendments made to try and get round this. Only psychoactive substances that have a direct impact on the brain and are deemed sufficiently psychoactive(nobody knows what this is) are covered by the bill now
JoeTSR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Everything has at some point been a legal high.

I'm 12 and this is deep
jamesthehustler
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the matter is that if they ban them it wouldn't stop them being sold just renamed and marketed as something else if there a profit in something criminals will do it
and even if the proposal did successfully stop the supply what would replace them as far as i can see not much other than maybe crank
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Those aren't actually the only two options. Government legislation on what ingredients can be put in foods and what kinds of food can be sold have already done great things for public health - the ban on trans fats is a good example.
Last edited by RK; 3 months ago
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EUTyranny)
Close the company's that make them
Watch it come from outside :laugh:
Thutmose-III
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RobML)
Except legal highs are complete **** and the majority or people who buy them are dumb adolescents because they're so easy to buy from seedy little stores. Just smoke some weed ffs.
My mum has fond memories of a kid dying from the college she works at and another getting hospitalised because of dat stuff.
I'm all for legalising drugs that have a decent pleasure/risk payoff, but **** drugs like legal highs are like slow euthanisation for the socially deprived.
Indeed. If the "classic" drugs were legalised people would be far less likely to resort to this legal high dross. Legal highs are usually synthesized in seedy oriental laboratoires that possess little concern for the health of the end-user; their only objective is to manufacture a substance that is sufficiently different chemically from the prohibited substance while being sufficiently analogue in effect.

The problem is that we basically have no idea what effect these substances have. At least with good old coke/heroin/meth/LSD/shrooms/weed etc, they've been around for long enough that we have good data on their health consequences, we know how to do harm minimisation for them. We don't have that option with legal highs because the manufacturers are chopping and changing the chemical composition constantly to remain in front of analogue prohibition regulations.

My solution; legalise/regulate the classic Class A's. Make mild opiate, amphetamine, cocaine and hallucinogenic concoctions available freely at off-licences (the Class A equivalent of beer; for opiates, you could have a sort-of codeine potion. Coca Cola with cocaine like in the 1890s. And maybe a Red Bull with some real speed). If you want the hard stuff (powdered heroin, crystal meth, cocaine) then you would attend a drug service where they would assess your tolerance levels (so you don't overdose on your first spin), provide advice and equipment if necessary, then provide you with a prescription to collect at the pharmacy.

The hard versions would be provided through pre-existing NHS drug services, pharmacies and GPs who do substance abuse work. For the milder stuff available at the off-licence, private companies could compete (though, like tobacco, advertising would be prohibited) on price, flavour, prestige (i.e. "the coca leaves in our Coke was picked fresh from the Peruvian hinterlands, and stomped into a mulch by the feet of blind South American female shamans" etc). Of course if all this were to come about, I'd definitely get into the market to create a codeine brew called "De Quincey's Elixir of the Poppy". I'm sure Thomas de Quincey would be thrilled
JoeTSR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Thutmose-III)
Indeed. If the "classic" drugs were legalised people would be far less likely to resort to this legal high dross. Legal highs are usually synthesized in seedy oriental laboratoires that possess little concern for the health of the end-user; their only objective is to manufacture a substance that is sufficiently different chemically from the prohibited substance while being sufficiently analogue in effect.

The problem is that we basically have no idea what effect these substances have. At least with good old coke/heroin/meth/LSD/shrooms/weed etc, they've been around for long enough that we have good data on their health consequences, we know how to do harm minimisation for them. We don't have that option with legal highs because the manufacturers are chopping and changing the chemical composition constantly to remain in front of analogue prohibition regulations.
That depends. There are plenty of substances that fit that description. But there are also plenty of things that are currently legal highs, that are used medicinally by many, are regularly prescribed in many western countries, that either don't have UK medicines licensing for the condition (instead having to be used off label) or don't have UK medicines licensing as a whole (with a variety of possible reasons for that, e.g. patent was nearing expiry). Though I agree with your post as a whole.
ESPORTIVA LUTA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sure you can't ban legal highs

They'll keep finding loopholes

Anyway the more idiots that take them the more die.

Less idiots in this world
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hovado)
What do you think could have been done to prevent that kids death though bear?
it is tragic when a young person dies in these circumstances. if parents and schools reinforced the message that drugs are a mug's game there would be far fewer of these tragedies. also if the BBC and other media promoted the message that would help.
hovado
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
it is tragic when a young person dies in these circumstances. if parents and schools reinforced the message that drugs are a mug's game there would be far fewer of these tragedies. also if the BBC and other media promoted the message that would help.
How does the tune go? Is it as catchy as just say no?
Alex from almanis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So now that the ban has come into effect, I wonder how many convictions there will actually be, given the difficulty in proving that a substance is psychoactive, and given that a similar law was put into effect in Ireland and only 4 people were convicted in its first 5 years of being in operation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (9)
56.25%
No (4)
25%
I'm not old enough (3)
18.75%

Watched Threads