The Student Room Group

Brexit would be 'difficult and lengthy' - Lords Committee

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Good bloke
Considerable? You must be a glass half-full kind of chap.

The only reason UK influence is seen as paltry is a combination of a) self-centred pessimism by eurosceptics and b) a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby British lack of interest in European affairs translates into a lack of drive and unwillingness to take the initiative at the EU level.

If we pulled out finger out for once, the EU could be changed a lot more to our vision.
Original post by gladders
The only reason UK influence is seen as paltry is a combination of a) self-centred pessimism by eurosceptics and b) a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby British lack of interest in European affairs translates into a lack of drive and unwillingness to take the initiative at the EU level.

If we pulled out finger out for once, the EU could be changed a lot more to our vision.

I don't think so: the British vision is of a state that does what the British want and doesn't kowtow to bureaucrats and those that want greater integration.
Reply 22
I don't think so: the British vision is of a state that does what the British want and doesn't kowtow to bureaucrats and those that want greater integration.

I think that description is somewhat of a straw man. It may be what you and your friends think, but the British Government will have different priorities. At the very least, it will not expect the EU to simply do whatever the UK wants - as it would quickly discover no reasonable country would do that without recompense.

Why do leave voters ALWAYS seem to completely ignore evidence and just make grand statements about sovereignty and how great Britain is?
Original post by JordanL_
Why do leave voters ALWAYS seem to completely ignore evidence and just make grand statements about sovereignty and how great Britain is?

I made no statement about sovereignty, and thoughts of Britain's greatness never entered my head. I made a statement about what I believe the public wants from the EU.
They're terrified at the prospect of actually having to do stuff. Pathetic.
Reply 26
Original post by Nice.Guy
They're terrified at the prospect of actually having to do stuff. Pathetic.

Sorry, who is 'they'?
Don't be silly. It is obvious to anyone of even the meanest intelligence that the UK will be in the EEA. Nobody in their right mind believes anything else.

I am afraid it is by no means obvious.

Moreover there would be not a majority for this in the UK.

Assume exit on these terms was negotiated. Somewhere between 40-60% of Brexiters would cry "betrayal" when they realised the the position on EU directives and freedom of movement.

Whether this was put to a vote in the Commons or a referendum, it wouldn't pass because Remain supporters wouldn't treat this as a vote on the mechanics of departure but as an opportunity to revisit the question of whether we should go.

This is why Christopher Booker is adamant that Brexiters must demand Article 50 is invoked.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending