Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So much crap in this thread from people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    The effectiveness of Consultant surgeons is not dependent on empathy. 'Best' is the superlative of a subjective measure, in this context. I'd rather have a transplant from a low-empathy but highly technical performer.
    Surely having empathy and being skilled at their job is best? Does having empathy exclude technical skill? They are dealing with people after all. From the doctors I have known both from my personal experience and from professional experience, those who have empathy make better doctors in a holistic sense than those who lack empathy and just treat their patients as an illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    So much crap in this thread from people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about.
    Yep. There's no point even engaging. I wonder if the law students have to deal with this crap in their forum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    Can you give any advice that you don't consider 'crap'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swal9800)
    Can you give any advice that you don't consider 'crap'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah. You definitely have the crap aspect of advice completely covered.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that surgeons only spend a small amount of their time operating and more time in clinics deciding whether or not an operation is necessary for that particular patient and if so which one. Empathy is essential for that as they have to look at the situation from the patient's point of view to determine what is in his or her best interests.
    Some people think empathy is just being nice to people. That's sympathy.
    All clinical doctors need empathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    Nah. You definitely have the crap aspect of advice completely covered.
    Hence why I asked if you had any advice you don't consider 'crap'. Thanks for your input. Extremely useful.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give an actual answer to my question. Much appreciated ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.