Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V966 - Human Transplantation (England) Bill 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    43.18%
    On the contrary, No
    50.00%
    Abstain
    6.82%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiator12345)
    I think people should be given the choice not it being forced upon them. I would rather like to see the Government spend money to educate the nation this is a much better way.
    People are given the choice either way, this just changes the presumption from not saving lives to saving lives.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    People are given the choice either way, this just changes the presumption from not saving lives to saving lives.
    People are given a choice either way, but with the status quo the choice being there is pretty obvious, something unlikely to be the case with opt out, look at affiliated unions and their political charge for instance, only 2 say that it is there and none make the opt out clear. Make it amyopt in system and all members will know it's there and how to opt in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    People are given a choice either way, but with the status quo the choice being there is pretty obvious, something unlikely to be the case with opt out, look at affiliated unions and their political charge for instance, only 2 say that it is there and none make the opt out clear. Make it amyopt in system and all members will know it's there and how to opt in

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your argument makes no sense.

Ultimately, the question is whether people who are indifferent to the question (the only people whose outcomes would be affected by this Bill) should have their organs used to save lives, or be assumed to have some quasi-religious need for postmortal bodily integrity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Your argument makes no sense.

Ultimately, the question is whether people who are indifferent to the question (the only people whose outcomes would be affected by this Bill) should have their organs used to save lives, or be assumed to have some quasi-religious need for postmortal bodily integrity.
    It doesn't really not make sense, the case with affiliated unions is similar to that of an opt out organ donor system in that it is an opt out system and the people in control don't want people to opt out, and so keep it as quiet as possible, they don't tell people that the system is opt out, nor do they make it clear how to opt out, it is set up in such a way that you have to be pretty determined to opt out. On the other hand with opt in systems it is made clear that it is an opt in system and the option is available, and it's clear and easy to opt in. The bill changes things from an opt in system where everybody knows that it is an opt in system, how to opt in, and that it is pretty easy to opt in and will likely turn it into a system where the fact that it is opt out is kept quiet, and to opt out is a long and convoluted method to try to stop people doing so.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really not make sense, the case with affiliated unions is similar to that of an opt out organ donor system in that it is an opt out system and the people in control don't want people to opt out, and so keep it as quiet as possible, they don't tell people that the system is opt out, nor do they make it clear how to opt out, it is set up in such a way that you have to be pretty determined to opt out. On the other hand with opt in systems it is made clear that it is an opt in system and the option is available, and it's clear and easy to opt in. The bill changes things from an opt in system where everybody knows that it is an opt in system, how to opt in, and that it is pretty easy to opt in and will likely turn it into a system where the fact that it is opt out is kept quiet, and to opt out is a long and convoluted method to try to stop people doing so.
    it can potentially work either way for obvious reasons. The 'people in charge' have no incentive either way in this case - it's clearly unlike affiliated unions. The similarity, however, is that it is better for everyone, the more people who are in the scheme (inb4 you make some completely silly comparison to ponzi schemes or whatever).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    it can potentially work either way for obvious reasons. The 'people in charge' have no incentive either way in this case - it's clearly unlike affiliated unions. The similarity, however, is that it is better for everyone, the more people who are in the scheme (inb4 you make some completely silly comparison to ponzi schemes or whatever).
    Again with subjective opinions being states as facts.

ReputationRep:
    Again with subjective opinions being states as facts.
    it's fine to state an opinion without adding 'in my opinion' when only a dribbling moron wouldn't realise

If I say "Master of Reality is the greatest album of all time", adding 'in my opinion' is completely redundant. It's the same for most political opinions. Also, god knows what would happen if people started pulling you up on that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    it's fine to state an opinion without adding 'in my opinion' when only a dribbling moron wouldn't realise

If I say "Master of Reality is the greatest album of all time", adding 'in my opinion' is completely redundant. It's the same for most political opinions. Also, god knows what would happen if people started pulling you up on that.
    Try it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you believe its in the best interest of the party? But with it being opt out people do not read the small print of forms so it will be forced on those people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiator12345)
    If you believe its in the best interest of the party? But with it being opt out people do not read the small print of forms so it will be forced on those people
    If you are against this Bill, you should vote against it. I merely hoped to convince you otherwise.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Mr. Speaker, could you change my vote from Aye to Nay?

Thanks in advance.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Mr. Speaker, could you change my vote from Aye to Nay?

Thanks in advance.
    In the Tory subforum rn: :whip2: :whip2: :whip2: :whip2:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    In the Tory subforum rn: :whip2: :whip2: :whip2: :whip2:
    I can assure you that there has been no whipping. I agree with the principle of the bill but i disagree with how its being gone about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The Liberals, a party of freedom, individuality, small government, and personal choice: it is nice to see Liberals voting for the government to have control of an individual's body after death. Liberalism is a nonsense concept, it is made up by individuals as time progresses to suit all situations, it is a concept that has no clear definition, no clear philosophy, no cohesion, and constantly changes to meet the warped, self-view of individuals who are desperate to label themselves as liberal in the belief being liberal is trendy.

ReputationRep:
    Could I possibly, entirely of my own free will and uncoerced by my Party, change my vote to a Nay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tories engaging in a bit of BDSM over this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, I assure you it goes rather further than this. :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some members ask if the government had alternative ideas on the matter, they got an answer.

ReputationRep:
    Some members ask if the government had alternative ideas on the matter, they got an answer.
    Ah yes, the Party very much restricting free will and choice, ironically enough, very much in support of what this bill advocates.

Didnt you call us voting robots?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Oh, I assure you it goes rather further than this. :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Donating your body BEFORE you kick the bucket

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.