Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Yeah, and I can speak Cantonese too
    And what is about Mandarin? by the way what is the official native langiage in China? Mandarin or Cantonese?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestShadow)
    Same here I cant write or read much of it tho :rofl:

Id call you Chinese :lol:

And how bad exactly? Can you say your name and how old you are ?
    I can't write or read in it either, I never had to so I didn't bother trying to learn it. All I know are the numbers 1- 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    And what is about Mandarin? by the way what is the official native langiage in China? Mandarin or Cantonese?*
    I think it's mandarin that is mainly spoken in China. I don't know a single word in mandarin and neither do my parents because they weren't born there

ReputationRep:
    I'm not Chinese...but I learnt Mandarin for GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I work in China Town and most of the older generation speak Cantonese, the younger speak Mandarin, that's the general consensus I've come to anyway
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think it's mandarin that is mainly spoken in China. I don't know a single word in mandarin and neither do my parents because they weren't born there
    Were your parants grown up in the UK too? in other words: are you the second generation of your family which is living there?

ReputationRep:
    Half English/half Chinese

ReputationRep:
    Were your parants grown up in the UK too? in other words: are you the second generation of your family which is living there?
    My parents were born in HK, my mum moved to England when she was young and my dad moved here when he was in his teens. They somehow met and decided to stay in England together so yeah I was born in England
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My parents were born in HK, my mum moved to England when she was young and my dad moved here when he was in his teens. They somehow met and decided to stay in England together so yeah I was born in England
    HK = Hong Kong?

The more answers you give the more curious I am. Do you still have relatives in Hong Kong? were you going to Hong Kong to meet your relatives, grandparents for instance, up? sometimes?*

ReputationRep:
    HK = Hong Kong?

The more answers you give the more curious I am. Do you still have relatives in Hong Kong? were you going to Hong Kong to meet your relatives, grandparents for instance, up? sometimes?*
    Yeah Hong Kong. I've been there twice, once when I was 2 (I think) and the other time I was when I was 11. My grandparents and some other relatives live there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestShadow)
    Same here I cant write or read much of it tho :rofl:

Id call you Chinese :lol:

And how bad exactly? Can you say your name and how old you are ?
    Hahaha that's good to hear!! Yup but tbh my Cantonese is better than my mandarin I don't know why

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ching chong chinatown -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemondtan)
    Singaporean! (Chinese by race but most people don't call me Chinese ) and my Chinese is really bad, I mean REALLY bad
    Omg omg omg omg I'm not alone! (same, I'm an sg guy who spent years out of the country and now only understands bits of Chinese)

ReputationRep:
    Well! Based on my individual understanding & knowledge,
    Mandarin is the official native language in China
    (which is also known as the Standard Chinese spoken by
    the majority of the Chinese population in whole global),
    whilst Cantonese (Yue Chinese) is one of the local dialects
    within the area of Guangzhou (Guang Dong+Guang Xi) & Hong Kong.

Malaysian-Chinese are multi-lingual, commonly know more than 4 languages.I, myself as a Malaysian Chinese, know more than 6:

1. Mandarin (Standard Chinese, Chinese language with Malaysian Accent)
    2. Malay (National Official Language)3. English (Malaysian English- “Manglish”, British+American English )
    4. Hakka (Paternal Family origin-used dialect)
    5. Cantonese (Maternal FAmily origin-used dialect)
    6. Hokkien (also called Southern Min Chinese, learn from neighbours & friends)
    7. Japanese (Basic-Writing+Reading+Speaking & Intermediate-Listening)
    8. Korean (Basic-Listening & Beginner level for the rest, learn in Taekwondo)

ReputationRep:
    So, you are trying your luck in England. Hope so for you that your mind is so strong as you believe in it.

Grown up in UK too?
    Thanks for your blessing! <3 Actually, I decided to study abroad in English just because I want to expose myself to a different environment with different cultures & lifestyles; to explore myself & develop my mindset, individual abilities, as well as to build a better personality whenever I deal with any challenges/obstacles. I just simply want to know more about this World. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemondtan)
    Singaporean! (Chinese by race but most people don't call me Chinese ) and my Chinese is really bad, I mean REALLY bad
    Some of the Chinese people from China/Taiwan who even named the Chinese descendants born in Malaysia like us as "Malay people" =.="What——? Malay & Chinese are totally-different races. >.<

ReputationRep:
    so glad there's a group for us!

ReputationRep:
    你好

Spoiler:
    Show
    (I'm not Chinese)

(Original post by Victoria Jolee)
    Hey I'm half Chinese half English Currently in Beijing on a summer exchange program (wo xian zai shi bei shi da de liu xue sheng).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tinnyc)
    Well! Based on my individual understanding & knowledge,
    Mandarin is the official native language in China
    (which is also known as the Standard Chinese spoken by
    the majority of the Chinese population in whole global),
    whilst Cantonese (Yue Chinese) is one of the local dialects
    within the area of Guangzhou (Guang Dong+Guang Xi) & Hong Kong.

Malaysian-Chinese are multi-lingual, commonly know more than 4 languages.I, myself as a Malaysian Chinese, know more than 6:

1. Mandarin (Standard Chinese, Chinese language with Malaysian Accent)
    2. Malay (National Official Language)3. English (Malaysian English- “Manglish”, British+American English )
    4. Hakka (Paternal Family origin-used dialect)
    5. Cantonese (Maternal FAmily origin-used dialect)
    6. Hokkien (also called Southern Min Chinese, learn from neighbours & friends)
    7. Japanese (Basic-Writing+Reading+Speaking & Intermediate-Listening)
    8. Korean (Basic-Listening & Beginner level for the rest, learn in Taekwondo)
    So al ot. Did I ask you which of them do you speak? "Manglish" by any chance? and if you really do, is there a difference to British English?*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.