The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry F322 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BanterBus
I got Propyl-Propanoate (not the correct name for it) with propanoic acid forming a ester bond with propan-2-ol

Would it not have been 1-methylethylpropanoate?
what did you guys get from number of repeat units of the monomer. i put 714.2..... and i think its wrong coz you had to put 714 or 715
Original post by FluffyCommie
CH3CH2CH2ONa? That doesn't sound right, are you talking about the last question? I got the two haloalkanes as CH3CH2CH2Br and CH3CHBrCH3
Then propan-1-ol and propan-2-ol after reflux with OH-...

That's right I did get CH3CH2CH2Br and CH3CHBrCH3 and in IR I got CH3CH2COOH after reflux (carboxylic acid is formed?) and then when it mentioned that the acid (G) reacted with another product from hydrolysis (I assumed that was NaBr) I said it formed CH2CH2COONa unfortunately I was wrong but never mind can't do anything now lol
Original post by toby22222
what did you guys get from number of repeat units of the monomer. i put 714.2..... and i think its wrong coz you had to put 714 or 715

yeah i put 715
Reply 24
Original post by FluffyCommie
CH3CH2CH2ONa? That doesn't sound right, are you talking about the last question? I got the two haloalkanes as CH3CH2CH2Br and CH3CHBrCH3
Then propan-1-ol and propan-2-ol after reflux with OH-...

i got that too^ then the propan-1-ol forms the carboxylic acid which was the infrared spectra
Original post by nicoleemmak
Would it not have been 1-methylethylpropanoate?

I got 1,1-dimethylpropanoatesimply because the O-H group was in the middle, so there would have been a methyl on the top and the bottom of the middle carbon
Reply 26
Original post by nimbusninja
I got 1,1-dimethylpropanoatesimply because the O-H group was in the middle, so there would have been a methyl on the top and the bottom of the middle carbon

Ah yes thats what i got its just the naming of it is confusing
Reply 27
On the last question we were just required to give the structure of the ester right, not the name?
Original post by mattyk5
yeah 3 carbons. Couldnt have been 4 carbons because the empirical formula can have 2/3 carbons. If lets say the empirical had 2 then the only way to get 4 carbons was to double the empirical formula which leads to the Mr being OVER 150 which it couldnt be so therefore had to be 3 carbons imo

So relieved
Original post by nimbusninja

I think you can draw it either way because the central carbon just has to have 2 Cs and one O coming off it, but it doesn't matter which side is which, you didn't have to name it in the exam did you? 😣
Reply 30
Original post by Oooooooa
On the last question we were just required to give the structure of the ester right, not the name?

yeah just the structure thankfully
Are people sure it's not 4 carbons instead of 3?? I got four carbons each time :// Will I still get something like an ecf mark for it over all?? 😩
Reply 32
Original post by Twomenoneclub
So relieved

Hehe yh it did my head a little but i missed out a step and i was like "OOOhhhh". Only had 15 minutes to do all of last question so luckily got it in time
Reply 33
Original post by TheGeekGal
Are people sure it's not 4 carbons instead of 3?? I got four carbons each time :// Will I still get something like an ecf mark for it over all?? 😩

Possibly, i dont see why not its over 10 marks so you should get some sort of assistance
Did anyone get 218.9 or 281.9 litres (some of those numbers) for the petrol question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also I got -281 for the enthalpy question I think I did something wrong :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
for the emperical formula I got 3 carbons 7 hydrogens and 1 br which got me a mr of 120ish something which is less than 150. I thought that when you get a the number 3 point- something in your emperical formula you would have to double all the other numbers but the clue I saw was less than 150 so I left it. Therefore I think its C3H7BR.
FFs I got so many silly mistakes

For The mass of cyclopentanol I got 13.7 bc I thought the initial mr of cyclohexene was 70 when it was 68....

Also I got the wrong monomer unit for the polymer hence I got 595.5 as the number of units FML

Pls tell me I'll get ECF marks for this mess somehow.. :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Also I got -281 for the enthalpy question I think I did something wrong :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you think you did something wrong? Im not sure what i got but i know i didnt forget the minus :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by mercuryman
FFs I got so many silly mistakes

For The mass of cyclopentanol I got 13.7 bc I thought the initial mr of cyclohexene was 70 when it was 68....

Also I got the wrong monomer unit for the polymer hence I got 595.5 as the number of units FML

Pls tell me I'll get ECF marks for this mess somehow.. :frown:

I got 14.0 for the mass, what did anyone else get?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending