Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do employers slightly favor looks over qualification? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    As long as you're at least average looking you'll be fine unless you want to work in the fashion industry or filming industry where unfortunately, you get discriminated for your looks
    lol yea of course xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    because that doesn't reflect how well you can work
    The reality is that everyone going for a job interview will be able to do the job, they'll all have good qualifications and relevant experience. Generally the interview (at entry level) is less about finding out whether you can do the job and more about whether you're a good fit for the culture of the company.

Essentially that means whether the interviewer likes you or not and if they could work with you. Its not fair, but looks are a big part of first impressions. They're not everything though and wont make up for being unskilled or obnoxious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    The reality is that everyone going for a job interview will be able to do the job, they'll all have good qualifications and relevant experience. Generally the interview (at entry level) is less about finding out whether you can do the job and more about whether you're a good fit for the culture of the company.

Essentially that means whether the interviewer likes you or not and if they could work with you. Its not fair, but looks are a big part of first impressions. They're not everything though and wont make up for being unskilled or obnoxious.
    I can see so much bias coming into here.
    depends i don't anyone would veer hire me though ._.

ReputationRep:
    I can see so much bias coming into here.
    depends i don't anyone would veer hire me though ._.
    I doubt that, I'm sure you're a much more likable person compared with lots of people who are already working. Part time job hunting is a numbers game, ask around and see if friends know of any places that are hiring.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that, I'm sure you're a much more likable person compared with lots of people who are already working. Part time job hunting is a numbers game, ask around and see if friends know of any places that are hiring.
    Only once you get to truly know me.
    on the outside my first impression aren't really that good.
    i have no friends.... that's part of the problem.....

ReputationRep:
    Only once you get to truly know me.
    on the outside my first impression aren't really that good.
    i have no friends.... that's part of the problem.....
    Everyone has positive attributes, but not self pity isn't going to help your case. Put your self out there, find things that you enjoy doing and everything else has a way of falling into place.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has positive attributes, but not self pity isn't going to help your case. Put your self out there, find things that you enjoy doing and everything else has a way of falling into place.
    Thing is i don't know how to put myself out there......

the things i enjoy aren't the things i'll ever get a job in.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is i don't know how to put myself out there......

the things i enjoy aren't the things i'll ever get a job in.
    I'm not talking about work, I'm talking about life in general.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about work, I'm talking about life in general.
    oh i see.

i really only go out if necessary though i'm just a recluse living in the safety of their house

ReputationRep:
    Certainly if you're looking to be a waiter/waitress./flight crew; its basically a respectable form of **** sucking.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If its any kind of low paid customer facing role then yes, absolutely. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of retail sales assistants, hospitality workers, receptionists, bar staff etc are young and stereotypically ''good looking''

For a bog standard office job then no, as long as you dress and act professionally. They won't care if you're overweight, have greasy hair or wear too much make up but they sure as hell will care if you can't do your top button up, have dirty fingernails or BO, unironed clothes etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    McDonalds tend to hire spotty teenagers. But a schitty Mcdonalds cafe aint gonna be able to attract decent employees are they.
    That's not true

oh i see.

i really only go out if necessary though i'm just a recluse living in the safety of their house
    *laugh*

Just kidding look in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show
    *laugh*

Okay. Seriously. Next one.

Spoiler:
    Show

You said you want to start working.

How old are you?
    Have you got enough time to focus on work and studies?
    Any previous experience?
    Have you ever been on an interview?
    Have you ever created cv/cover letter?
    Would you rather work in an office or retail?
    Own transport?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    If its any kind of low paid customer facing role then yes, absolutely. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of retail sales assistants, hospitality workers, receptionists, bar staff etc are young and stereotypically ''good looking''

For a bog standard office job then no, as long as you dress and act professionally. They won't care if you're overweight, have greasy hair or wear too much make up but they sure as hell will care if you can't do your top button up, have dirty fingernails or BO, unironed clothes etc.
    I guess.... that fair enough.
    right....
    obviously hygiene is an important factor
    (Original post by Impressive)
    *laugh*

Just kidding look in the spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    *laugh*

Okay. Seriously. Next one.
    Spoiler:
    Show

You said you want to start working.

How old are you?
    Have you got enough time to focus on work and studies?
    Any previous experience?
    Have you ever been on an interview?
    Have you ever created cv/cover letter?
    Would you rather work in an office or retail?
    Own transport?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i'm 17
    no
    i've volunteered in a charity shop for almost 3 years now,,,,
    no
    yes, however it's been about 2 years since i updated it
    any would be fine right now...
    nope however maybe i could get a bus

I guess.... that fair enough.
    right....
    obviously hygiene is an important factor

i'm 17
    no
    i've volunteered in a charity shop for almost 3 years now,,,,
    no
    yes, however it's been about 2 years since i updated it
    any would be fine right now...
    nope however maybe i could get a bus
    If you don't have the time to focus on both, it's not worth it. You'll just end up leaving your current job or there will be huge impact on your final grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    If you don't have the time to focus on both, it's not worth it. You'll just end up leaving your current job or there will be huge impact on your final grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i see

ReputationRep:
    As someone mentioned above, studies have demostrated a 'halo' effect where looks are concerned. From an evolutionary point of view, human beings have always correlated positive, non aesthetic, traits with appearance - the phenotype is a quick way to determine genetic superiority, and mating suitability. As such, those who are considering good looking are also deemed to be, predominantly on a subconscious level, more capable in other respects - whetehr that be in terms of intelligence, compassion, sociability etc.

Of course, on a more conscious level, bias can depend upon the employer, the industry and those conducting interviews/the hiring process. Certain industries/employers which require the applicant to be client facing or to espouse a brand image, i.e. fashion, good looking candidates will be favoured.

Ultimately, I would suggest that, with the exception of certain industries and employers, this effect is secondary to qualifications/job suitability. It is also largely irrelevant, unless one is considering modelling, as, besides the basics of adherence to a basic grasp of style, grooming and self-care, very little can be done about one's appearance. I would add, however, that I recently read an article on PsychologyToday which cited a study suggesting that these factors - style, self-care, grooming, confidence etc. - have a far greater effect on the projected image of an individual than natural good looks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Every recruiting panel I've sat on has hired the candidate that demonstrated the most enthusiasm for the role - even over ability/track record in some cases (noone wants to manage someone who doesn't want to be there - enthusiasm will make up for a LOT of other issues with an application).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lets put it this way, a receptionist who was rude, has a tongue piercing and is covered in massive tattoos isn't exactly an impressive way to stand out is it? First impressions count as being the face of the company.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda get what you mean but then at the same time most people who go in a shop don't really pay that much attention to the appearance of the staff working there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.