Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Nigeria a safe country to visit for a female ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    The FCO website is a good place to start as mentioned in a previous post.
    I'd add a few bits to that:
    Try to stay in at least a pair when out & about
    Ensure you've got a mobile which will work in the area with ICE contacts & emergency services' numbers installed
    Have some kind of plan in the back of your mind should you need assistance (UK Embassy location etc)
    Keep valuables secure wherever possible
    I know from what an ex-GF was telling me about Egypt that the locals will be less likely to "chat" to you if you've got a fake (or real) wedding ring on. I've got no idea if this is the case in Nigeria but it's something worth thinking about if you don't want to be bothered.
    Does Nigeria have mosquito transmitted diseases like Malaria/Yellow Fever & other potential infections? If so then you should ensure you've had the correct jabs & have a supply of drugs to counteract any diseases.

All of the above is fairly relevant to most places around the world & not specific to Nigeria. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
    Tempest II how silly to compare Egypt and Nigeria! Because something happens in the North of Africa (Politically part of the middle East) it's likely to happen in Nigeria?
    Your example was completely unrelated, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm nigerian and visit there often.. it sounds like your friends dad is rich. The richer people in the lagos city are the one swho live on the beach. It's pretty safe and the beaches are great. I'm not from Lagos but have family there and white relatives (from inter racial marriage) who love it there.

In terms of theft, lol, the young boys there are pretty skilled, don't be too flashy. But you're likely to have lots of Nigerian f**k boys trying to chat to you...maybe the odd gentleman... They'll leave you alone though if you say so.

Overall I think you should go. It's a very vibrant country, corrupt maybe, but so is every country tbh...panama papers anyone?

The locals are very funny too and the slang you pick up is quite funny

ReputationRep:
    See what your parents think. But it's a wonderful country, in sure you'd really enjoy it.

Also Nigeria is not a third world country.

ReputationRep:
    In general, for a white westerner, not in the slightest.
    However i'd assume your friend lives in a wealthy and probably gated area but either way not a country high on my list...

ReputationRep:
    Nigeria is a beautiful country, i would strongly advise that you go. My family goes there every year, and i Know non-Nigerians that visit the country very regularly. Not all politicians are corrupt. Plus there isn't one country in this world that is not corrupt. Let's not forget the scandal about David Cameron's family avoiding tax payments. And most of these first world countries are built on corruption anyway... From building their cultures as a result of racism and slavery, to exploitation of third world countries. But anyway, you're bound to have the time of your life especially as you're going to receive top security from the host family AND you will be in Lagos... Most likely on a protected estate.

ReputationRep:
    If this was 2 years ago i would say don't go terror threat is too high but that part of the country is stable at the moment worst thing right now is the economy and thats a plus for you because it means you will get a lot of money at this time the exchange rate is so shocking. go for it lagos is dope and you will have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Terrorism threat is not significant in the south. There is a general threat but I wouldn't say it's any more significant than the terror threat in London. Just to be on the safe side avoid political/religious institutions.

ReputationRep:
    If it's relevant my sister (17) just spent 2 weeks there this summer and my parents went last year. I've been to Lagos before, it's fun.

ReputationRep:
    Being a government official will get you 6 free plane tickets in Lagos? Is the airline company owned by government or are you all being invited by the government on a royal visit?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it i safe whether you are male or female. It is only if you travel north where it is not safe. Nigeria isn't at all a dangerous country so there is absoloutely nothing to worry about. It's not like Syria or Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    Coming from someone born from Nigeria (and lived in Lagos for 8 years) I visited Lagos and other places last summer. It was amazing BUT only because we knew how to keep ourselves safe.
    Firstly before you go, you NEED to get your jabs done e.g. Yellow fever, hep a and what your gp or pharmacist tells you you'll need.
    Secondly, stay with someone at all times - preferably someone who speaks Igbo or Yoruba (the 2 main languages spoken that isn't English)
    Overall don't wear things too flashy. Other than that it's perfectly safe and just behave sensibly like you would when visiting any other country. I'm sure you'll love it there - your friend sounds rich so in fact I can guarantee you'll get treated right

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Travelling to a fantastically corrupt third world country at the expense of your friends corrupt dad. What could possibly go wrong?

You cant put a price on your own safety, find the £400 and go somewhere none thirdworld
    Old thread and old post I know but..
    Hold on
    What exactly warrants this kind of vitriol? Why is it that certain Britons hold the opinion that anywhere outside the UK is hell on earth? There's sharing legitimate advice and safety concerns and then there's this. How did you know the father was corrupt? Why make a personal assertion against someone you don't know?
    And Nigeria isn't a third world courtry per se because there is a growing middle class and as of 2016 remains the largest economy in Africa. It's not un safe to visit as long as you take the necessary precautions you would if holidaying in any other developing foreign country such as India or Brazil.

The government is corrupt yes as are many world governments but this comment was unnecessary and came across as condescending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Old thread and old post I know but..
    Hold on
    What exactly warrants this kind of vitriol? Why is it that certain Britons hold the opinion that anywhere outside the UK is hell on earth? There's sharing legitimate advice and safety concerns and then there's this. How did you know the father was corrupt? Why make a personal assertion against someone you don't know?
    And Nigeria isn't a third world courtry per se because there is a growing middle class and as of 2016 remains the largest economy in Africa. It's not un safe to visit as long as you take the necessary precautions you would if holidaying in any other developing foreign country such as India or Brazil.

The government is corrupt yes as are many world governments but this comment was unnecessary and came across as condescending.
    Why is it vitriol? Nigeria is not a safe country. Infact over half of Nigeria our government warns not to travel too.

I suggested the dad is possibly corrupt because of this -

"He says he can get us free tickets because his dad works for the government.

I would love a free holiday and apparently he lives near the beach and has a swimming pool."

And this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrup...ons_Index#2016

The CPI generally defines corruption as "the misuse of public power for private benefit."[2]

India and Brazil are also third world countries. I dont care if they are classed as developing countries and have large GDP, they are still hell holes who's standards for safety and life are well short of a first world developed country

So the reason for my "vitrol" is that Nigeria is a country that over half of it by land mass, our government has warned its not safe to travel too and ranks 136/169 in the corruption rankings. Lets not forget good old Boko Haram are active there kidnapping hundreds of school girls and slaughtering villages in their spare time

Go and visit bestgore for an education and flavour these countries have for safety and human life you naively take for granted

I'am sorry if your parents or grandparents are Nigerian and you are proud of your heritage, but your personal pride and feelings dont change reality that Nigeria is not a good country by any sense of the methods the world uses to judge so

Hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.