Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Prime Minister's Questions - May 7, 2016 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'm just going to jump in here and answer this one.

It should be in the OP of the Ask the Government thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, I have found it, I was expecting a grandiose statement in a separate thread, however, low-key is better.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Acting Speaker,

Of the original 21 candidates seeking the nomination of the Democratic/Republican party in the US primary elections, and of the current three, which would the Prime Minister most want to be the next President of the United States?

Follow up question: what does the Prime Minister and his government intend to do about the current migrant crisis?

ReputationRep:
    Mr acting Speaker,

In the light of American-born commoner Boris Johnson's judgement of President Barack Obama of the United States for being hostile to the UK for not having a bust of Sir Winston Churchill, may I ask the right honourable Minister Prime if he has a bust of any American president or foreign head of state or government in his office or residence?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker I am sure the whole house will join me in acknowledging that the refugee crisis, which can be argued is due to some catastrophic blunders in our foreign policy, must be solved and the UK should play a vital and positive role in this respect. My Question to the Prime Minister is how does he intend to solve the short term issue of relocating the refugees in Europe and how does he intend to stabilise the entire affected region?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Mr Acting Speaker,

Will the right honourable Prime Minister list his official engagements for Sunday 7 May?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Mr (Acting) Speaker,
    Firstly, may I apologise for being late to join the party as I have been on exercise with the Army Cadets all weekend?

Secondly, may I ask Mr Prime Minister about his welfare policies; specifically those regarding the provisions for those with "minor" disabilities, such as dyspraxia and dyslexia?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Mr (Acting) Speaker,
    Firstly, may I apologise for being late to join the party as I have been on exercise with the Army Cadets all weekend?

Secondly, may I ask Mr Prime Minister about his welfare policies; specifically those regarding the provisions for those with "minor" disabilities, such as dyspraxia and dyslexia?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mr Acting Speaker,

I would like to echo the honourable Gentleman's question, if I may. As a dyspraxic I am interested to hear the right honourable Prime Minister's views on this matter, and I think it's time the topic was given an airing in the House anyway.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Mr Acting Speaker,

I would like to echo the honourable Gentleman's question, if I may. As a dyspraxic I am interested to hear the right honourable Prime Minister's views on this matter, and I think it's time the topic was given an airing in the House anyway.
    I thank the honourable gentleman as a fellow dyspraxic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Oh yeah, we forgot "Number one, Mr Speaker"

Number one, Mr Speaker
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Number one, Mr Speaker
    Aspie tried asking that, except asked what he's doing in 52 weeks time instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mr Prime Minister, do you feel you can be the leader and representative for the entire Country when you and your Party invalidate and infact laugh at the gender identity of some of those living in this Country.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for another round of questions.

(Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Dear PM, since we've now seen the evidence for the weekend effect shredded, will the government be renegotiating with JDs and have they changed tact, or are they continuing down the "work longer, hire fewer, pay less" angle?
    Upon consultation with the Health Secretary, I'd like to announce that we do not plan to follow Hunt's policy and instead would like to renegotiate with the junior doctors and hire more doctors to ensure the patients aren't put at risk due to overworked and underpaid hospital staff (who also deserve more if the situation really is as alarming as I'm told by her and the media).

(Original post by thehistorybore)
    Mr Deputy Speaker,

I would like to congratulate the Rt. Hon.Life_peer on his appointment. I would like to ask him what economic plans he has in place?
    Thank you! We intend to implement numerous economic plans that can be divided into two main categories:

1. We've already agreed on closing loopholes that allow tax avoidance via tax havens, simplify the tax code (primarily income tax), cut inheritance tax, cut corporation tax (or introduce a two-tier system for small and medium enterprises), and freeze the state pension and encourage savings.

2. The plans that are currently being developed and researched by the Chancellor, which I'm unable to comment on at the moment since we're still in a very early stage.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    Mr Acting Speaker,

I would like to ask the Prime Minister whether or not the Government has any plans to reform the Police Service in South Yorkshire given the failings over the Rotherham child abuse scandal, the Hillsborough inquest findings, and the actions they undertook in Orgreave in 1984? Would the Prime Minister consider options such as disbanding the force, merging with another, or other change to root out the systemic failings and cover-ups? And does the Prime Minister feel that anyone convicted of cover-ups or other offences should help fund the legal costs that have hitherto been covered by the taxpayer?
    This is a difficult one since I'm not familiar with the historical background but I certainly do agree with your last statement that such perpetrators should be made personally accountable. We obviously need to ensure that such failings and cover-ups aren't repeated again, and if it requires us to disband the force or merge it with another, then we shall do it. I'm going to discuss our course of action with the relevant Secretaries and let you know if you ask me in two weeks during another PMQ.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Prime Minister, when will the cabinet of your glorious government be released to the MHoC?
    If you want to criticise, do your homework first.

(Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Mr Acting Speaker,

Of the original 21 candidates seeking the nomination of the Democratic/Republican party in the US primary elections, and of the current three, which would the Prime Minister most want to be the next President of the United States?

Follow up question: what does the Prime Minister and his government intend to do about the current migrant crisis?
    Donald Trump. Not because I am a fan or think that anyone sane would want him to be the next US President, but because I think he's what the US citizens need, in one way or the other. I also believe he can't be worse than female-Clinton and Sanders…

As for the migrant crisis, my personal intention is to support policies that seek to completely halt the influx of migrants originated in the Middle East who pose a serious security threat to our nation, and move the fight from Europe to where it belongs. The government supports military action against IS and we aim to do as much as we can to stabilise the region so that people who are in true danger don't have to flee their homes and economic migrants don't have an excuse to invade Europe.

(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Mr acting Speaker,

In the light of American-born commoner Boris Johnson's judgement of President Barack Obama of the United States for being hostile to the UK for not having a bust of Sir Winston Churchill, may I ask the right honourable Minister Prime if he has a bust of any American president or foreign head of state or government in his office or residence?

Thank you.
    No, I do not have a bust of any US President or foreign head of state or government. I once visited a pub with a bust of Lenin on display but I never thought of bringing it home. I would, however, gladly accept a bust of Theodore Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Ulysses S. Grant, Abraham Lincoln, or George Washington as a gift.

(Original post by Gladiator12345)
    Mr Speaker I am sure the whole house will join me in acknowledging that the refugee crisis, which can be argued is due to some catastrophic blunders in our foreign policy, must be solved and the UK should play a vital and positive role in this respect. My Question to the Prime Minister is how does he intend to solve the short term issue of relocating the refugees in Europe and how does he intend to stabilise the entire affected region?
    I'd like to refer you to my answer to Unown Uzer hereinbefore. We acknowledge that the migrant crisis is one of the main issues that need to be solved as soon as possible, and once we get access to the government forum (hopefully tomorrow) and thereby the ability to discuss our course of action among all members of the three government coalition parties, we shall let the rest of the House know in a statement.

Mr Acting Speaker,

Will the right honourable Prime Minister list his official engagements for Sunday 7 May?
    I don't plan that far ahead, sorry. However, there will likely be no official engagements as Prime Minister.

(Original post by Andy98)
    Mr (Acting) Speaker,

Mr Acting Speaker,

Admittedly, I know little about benefits that are currently in place for such people (I am aware of DSA and DLA, but I presume these conditions do not warrant maximum allowances, in which case these would be far too high). I believe that rather than targeting them with financial support, these people need to be provided with appropriate conditions to diminish the negative effects of their handicap, for example more time to perform critical activities or the use of dyslexic-friendly font families where applicable.

My first-hand experience with multiple classmates who have been suffering from these disorders suggests that they can do reasonably well with relatively minor adjustments.

ReputationRep:

Number one, Mr Speaker
    This morning I had meetings with ministerial colleagues and others. In addition to my duties in the House, I shall have further such meetings later today.

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Mr Prime Minister, do you feel you can be the leader and representative for the entire Country when you and your Party invalidate and infact laugh at the gender identity of some of those living in this Country.
    Yes, of course. If certain people identify as wolves, I can still keep my sanity, call it ridiculous, encourage them and the SJW activists behind them to seek psychiatric help, and pay attention to actual issues—in fact, I choose to believe that's what those 99.9999% of the remaining population would want me to do.

I'd also like to remind you that it's logically impossible to represent everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    No, I do not have a bust of any US President or foreign head of state or government. I once visited a pub with a bust of Lenin on display but I never thought of bringing it home. I would, however, gladly accept a bust of Theodore Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Ulysses S. Grant, Abraham Lincoln, or George Washington as a gift.
    Thank you Your Highness, I'm sure when the next President of the United States visits, s/he will be able to bring you an appropriate gift.

Nevertheless, do you not feel George Washington as a defector who rebelled against the Empire should not be celebrated? I personally wouldn't have a bust of Nicola Sturgeon or Alex Salmond if Scotland is to gain independence under an SNP government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Thank you Your Highness, I'm sure when the next President of the United States visits, s/he will be able to bring you an appropriate gift.

Nevertheless, do you not feel George Washington as a defector who rebelled against the Empire should not be celebrated? I personally wouldn't have a bust of Nicola Sturgeon or Alex Salmond if Scotland is to gain independence under an SNP government.
    Granted, he might not be the best choice, but his legacy makes him one of the greatest US presidents and he appeared on the list mainly because of how much he achieved and my respect for great men.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Mr Acting Speaker,
    I would like to ask the Prime Minister whether he believes we should have tight or loose fiscal policy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Mr Acting Speaker,
    I would like to ask the Prime Minister whether he believes we should have tight or loose fiscal policy?
    Unfortunately, since the previous Speaker never bothered to update the MHoC Economic Record (the last update was on 10 June 2015 by Birch), I can't tell you straight away, but given my recollection of the government spending over the last term, it will probably have to be as tight as an infant's anus if we want to ‘act real’.

(However, and this is off the record, we've seen clear evidence that countries and banks can almost never go bankrupt so why should we act responsibly if others don't? )
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Unfortunately, since the previous Speaker never bothered to update the MHoC Economic Record (the last update was on 10 June 2015 by Birch), I can't tell you straight away, but given my recollection of the government spending over the last term, it will probably have to be as tight as an infant's anus if we want to ‘act real’.

(However, and this is off the record, we've seen clear evidence that countries and banks can almost never go bankrupt so why should we act responsibly if others don't? )
    So, just to be clear, you want high taxes and low government spending, similar to Osborne's policies of achieving a budget surplus? Surely the negatives outweigh the end result?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Deputy Speaker,

What policies is the Prime Minister (Minister Prime if he shall so insist) looking to implement regarding young people and students?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    This concludes Prime Minister's Questions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.