Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Nigel Farage though, might want to increase the fine
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    It's a Nay from me, at least for now - when renewable energy is more prevalent and supplying us with a lot more power, then perhaps we can start to phase it out, however at this time, we need to keep it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Good, it will never be banned, even if we take what you mean to say, that attitude would have us stuck in prehistory.
    It's a fossil fuel, it's not exactly time sensitive. Wait until technology has been invented and tested elsewhere, why should the UK (and of course, not the wealthy areas I'll add) be guinea pigs?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    It's a fossil fuel, it's not exactly time sensitive. Wait until technology has been invented and tested elsewhere, why should the UK (and of course, not the wealthy areas I'll add) be guinea pigs?
    Well, again, stuck in the stone age. Often times the problem with waiting is the knock on effects. If we'd said about the railways "oh, let somebody else test them" would we have done as well as we did? What about if everybody takes the same attitude? We can be fairly confident it is pretty safe and put regulations in to that end, if the private sector wish to attempt to make these advances they should be able to, it's better to be ahead of development rather than behind.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Well, again, stuck in the stone age. Often times the problem with waiting is the knock on effects. If we'd said about the railways "oh, let somebody else test them" would we have done as well as we did? What about if everybody takes the same attitude? We can be fairly confident it is pretty safe and put regulations in to that end, if the private sector wish to attempt to make these advances they should be able to, it's better to be ahead of development rather than behind.
    And why would you volunteer to be on the front line every time? I disliked fracking but what exactly is "pretty safe?" - it's an unnecessary unknown when if we wait we'll have better technology and a better understanding.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And why would you volunteer to be on the front line every time? I disliked fracking but what exactly is "pretty safe?" - it's an unnecessary unknown when if we wait we'll have better technology and a better understanding.
    If we wait how long? 5 years, 10, 50?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not at all
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye!
    We should be utilising other sources before fracking and even then this is not safe
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    People who have the knowledge and experience of cracking frequently oppose the building of such in their area. Like nuclear, except more so, until it cannot be conclusively be proven safe it should be banned.

Were it be legal would you support state fracking or just selling the rights and taking a small percentage of product?
    Nuclear energy is very much safe and is a far more economically viable solution than other renewables for the moment. Disasters like Chernobyl and Fukushima are caused almost solely by human error, and there are now appropriate safety measures in place and more advanced reactors preventing similar accidents from occurring.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Part of me feels the replacement energy source needs to be in place first. If you can convince me that it is, then I will support this.
    I would say though that the only way to get the replacement energy source to be viable in the first place is for non-renewables to become too expensive and inconvenient, energy companies are never going to switch out of their own good will.

ReputationRep:
    We need to make electricity cheaper, not more expensive by banning fracking.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    I would say though that the only way to get the replacement energy source to be viable in the first place is for non-renewables to become too expensive and inconvenient, energy companies are never going to switch out of their own good will.
    I don't disagree, the government needs to take a leading role in the development process as a consequence. We will see whether that happens under the current administration, but my hopes aren't high.

ReputationRep:
    We need fracking until viable renewable alternatives are ready to replace fossil fuels. If it's done responsibly and with safety in mind, there should be no risk to the environment. I don't think I can actually vote yet but it would be a no.

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's an aye from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Part of me feels the replacement energy source needs to be in place first. If you can convince me that it is, then I will support this.
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    This is my view, and I'm honestly not convinced we are ready just yet
    Have you forgot the work I was doing last term as energy sec?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.