Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite lord of the rings film? Watch

• View Poll Results: Favourite lord of the rings film?
    The Fellowship of the Ring
    38.89%
    The Two Towers
    33.33%
    The Return of the King
    27.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    The last two.

What do you think about the other changes between the books and the films(the reforging of Narsil, the role of the army of the dead, the changes to the battle of Helm's Deep and the battle of the Shire etc.)?
    The battle of Pelennor Fields is definitely one of the best I've ever read, but visually portraying the formations and strategies would have been way too difficult and taken too much time. This also gave them the opportunity to add cutting edge visuals, and it was executed very well.

Whilst the Battle Of The Shire was great in the books it would have messed up the structure of the finishing sequences, which was so well done with Aragorn being crowned. The movie had gone on long enough by this point and Merry rallying the Shire against Sharky was pretty much a side story in itself. Besides there were a few subtle hints at least such as Sarumans stash of Old Toby in his stockroom.

On Narsils reforging, it was an excellent scene and led the way for the summoning of AoD so I'm pretty happy about it's addition

For the OP Fellowship is my personal favourite for nostalgic reasons , I watched it when I was probably 8 and read the books immediately after and then watched the following two so they didn't hold me in quite the same way. Moria and the scenic aerial shots were incredible, the other two don't even come close in that regard.

And I disagree about the extended scenes, for a fan it's fun to watch but critically most of them did not hold up to the standard of the originals. They would have compromised the integrity of the entire series in the sense it's arguably the greatest trilogy of all time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I think you're spot on, it was that they introduced non-canonical non-book material (eg, Aragorn's pointless 'lost' scenes after he was almost killed in Two Towers) whilst removing what could have been really good proper stuff, such as the genuine story of how the Hobbits flee the Shire. (Less direct action maybe, but so much more subtle building of the story, the relationships, the loss of the Shire, etc.)

Then why oh why did Jackson not think that the Scouring of the Shire deserved more than a quickie glance in Galadriel's mirror? Was he smoking too much Longbottom Leaf? :lol:
    They seem to do this repeatedly with every book adapted into film for some reason and it is very frustrating for die hard fans. I can only assume that the writers/producers were unsure that certain parts of the trilogy would adapt well on to the big screen. Writing prose and directing a concise, well-structured film requires totally different skills, so I can understand the issue from that respect... and then they go and add the scene where Merry and Pippin drink the Ent-draught, and I stare in awkward, bemused silence.

..I mean I know it was in the book too but is it really essential to the plot? I think I needed a good dose of the ol' Longbottom Leaf after seeing that bit.

ReputationRep:
    Marginally The Return of the King, but the Helm's Deep battle in The Two Towers is epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
    :yes: They're the kinds of films that you just never want to stop talking or reading about, because they're utterly fascinating from every aspect. I feel so lucky to have practically grown up with them.
    Definitely agree. Every so often, I have the motivation to watch them again. I need to watch the first and last one with the extended editions next!

There is a lot to talk about with regards to this trilogy; and there is always a chance that you might miss something in the film, too, so talking about is beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    The Student Room should have an annual live-streamed Lord of the Rings marathon. I'll bring the popcorn!

ReputationRep:
    Two Towers (extended edition), but it is only slightly better than Return of the King.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    For the OP Fellowship is my personal favourite for nostalgic reasons , I watched it when I was probably 8 and read the books immediately after and then watched the following two so they didn't hold me in quite the same way. Moria and the scenic aerial shots were incredible, the other two don't even come close in that regard.

And I disagree about the extended scenes, for a fan it's fun to watch but critically most of them did not hold up to the standard of the originals. They would have compromised the integrity of the entire series in the sense it's arguably the greatest trilogy of all time.
    Hmm, all three films have distinctive scenes which are just incredible.

Having only seen The Two Towers with the extended scenes, thus far, I thought it was pretty worthwhile (for the most part), the scene with Denethor, Boromir and Faramir was important, especially seeing Faramir's relationship with his father in the third film. Although, I can understand that some of the scenes were a bit silly.

Was the only real reason why they didn't include those scenes in the original films because they would be too long or was there another specific reason? Apparently, they filmed a few more scenes but didn't even include them in the extended edition either.

ReputationRep:
    The last one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Which is your favourite?
    The Two Towers definitely.

Legolas (my favourite character) was awesome in that movie. The shots of him swinging onto the horse when they were attacked by orks whilst travelling, surfing down the stairs on a shield and taking out the elephant in the final battle was just too amazing.

Oh and when gandalf pulls up with the squad at the end was cool :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Prob the first, found the second boring and I've only seen the third one maybe twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheALevelStudent)
    The Two Towers definitely.

Legolas (my favourite character) was awesome in that movie. The shots of him swinging onto the horse when they were attacked by orks whilst travelling, surfing down the stairs on a shield and taking out the elephant in the final battle was just too amazing.

Oh and when gandalf pulls up with the squad at the end was cool :cool:
    Legolas is one of my favourites too

Him defeating the oliphant is in the third film, but the others that you mentioned are correct the only bit where he fails in the second film is when Aragorn tells him to bring down the orc who is running with the bomb to blow up Helms Deep, and he shoots him twice in the shoulder but fails to kill him there. I'm guessing that was on purpose though!

I always have discussions with my brother about why Legolas is the best haha

ReputationRep:
    Legolas is one of my favourites too

Him defeating the oliphant is in the third film, but the others that you mentioned are correct the only bit where he fails in the second film is when Aragorn tells him to bring down the orc who is running with the bomb to blow up Helms Deep, and he shoots him twice in the shoulder but fails to kill him there. I'm guessing that was on purpose though!

I always have discussions with my brother about why Legolas is the best haha
    Forgive me, you are correct. Nevertheless that was a great moment as well, especially gimli said that only counted as one kill lmao.
    Yeah true but still, legolas is the best!
    • Welcome Squad

I love the two towers

ReputationRep:
    I loved em all growin up even shed me some tears as well lol but looking back after not having seen em for like 5 years I don't really like the trilogy at all...and haven't seen one Hobbit film yet :\

But growin up I favoured Return of the King because it was the epic finale

(Original post by mynamshrek)
    My favorite is Frado Baggens and the prosenor of Asdakaban
    Mate wtf
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Aragon and Gimli Go to White Castle
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Personally I liked The Two Towers. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheALevelStudent)
    Forgive me, you are correct. Nevertheless that was a great moment as well, especially gimli said that only counted as one kill lmao.
    Yeah true but still, legolas is the best!
    Definitely! I love the competition between Legolas and Gimli during the battles. Gimli has those one liners which have the ability to just make you laugh, even if it's a fairly serious scene.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, all three films have distinctive scenes which are just incredible.

Having only seen The Two Towers with the extended scenes, thus far, I thought it was pretty worthwhile (for the most part), the scene with Denethor, Boromir and Faramir was important, especially seeing Faramir's relationship with his father in the third film. Although, I can understand that some of the scenes were a bit silly.

Was the only real reason why they didn't include those scenes in the original films because they would be too long or was there another specific reason? Apparently, they filmed a few more scenes but didn't even include them in the extended edition either.
    That is actually the only scene that added real substance but again, there wasn't any point that you could put it in without disturbing the flow, not that I can recall anyway. In the extended scene it's just sort of thrown in. I did enjoy it though, a bit of Sean Bean can never go amiss.

I suspect it was a combination, LOTR is the longest cinematic trilogy of the modern era, and a lot of the extended scenes didn't fit, Peter probably made a point of including lore which could be covered relatively easily such as the ent water scenes. Other segments of the story would have taken way too much time and explanation, not to mention the risk of poor execution. 17 academy awards speaks for itself though

I will say I wish we'd seen more of Rhun or Harad, those were literally places I dreamed about as a child once I'd read the books. Aragorn mentions them at the council meeting in Rivendell I think, talking about his travels but it's literally only a single sentence. 'I have travelled even to the distant lands of Rhun, and Harad where the stars are strange'. Bit of a tangent lol but yeah a few scenes in ROTK from either country would have been so cool since there's such minimal information about them

ReputationRep:
    Literally all the information you can get on Harad

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! I love the competition between Legolas and Gimli during the battles. Gimli has those one liners which have the ability to just make you laugh, even if it's a fairly serious scene.
    Gimli is so funny. He's angry all the time, and when legolas and aragon make fun of his height its hilarious. He can definitely make you laugh in the most serious scenes aha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.