Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    My situation:
    I've made flashcards for basically everything I need to remember, however I've left learning/memorising these Q&A cards too late and I'm just so anxious that I'm not going to be able to memorise them in time! We don't get study leave, and my first exam is on the 16th! I'm very behind and I can't seem to memorise these cards quickly

I'm in tears because I'm too much "in my head" if you know what I mean. I just feel very overwhelmed and I had all this hope that I was going to get 8 As and 3 Bs but I have no hope any more, I just have TOO much to do. It just hasn't gone the way I planned. Am I behind? Or am I over reacting?

I know people at my school have literally done NOTHING but I just want to achieve my potential but I feel like I've ****ed up something that should be really easy - GCSEs.
    I'm honestly in the same boat as you, my first exam is on the 17th. I've been revising for months and feel like nothing's going in but panicking isn't going to help, it doesn't achieve anything it just makes everything worse. Take a deep breath and what i do is just to say positive things like instead of "I can't do it, I'm useless, I'm going to fail" say "I CAN do this, I've worked hard, it'll be fine!!"
    Also make sure take loads of breaks like i never did this and my mum literally had to tell me to stop revising complete opposite of my brother...
    For me my break is watching half an hour of a TV show or reading a book or whatever

With regards to flashcards there is a week left- this is plenty of time to learn and I am sure you will have lots of time to prepare even once exams start like technically my exams start in a week but the last one i have 5 weeks to prepare for!!! Flashcards just do one at a time I find saying it aloud or making a pneumonic to remember them really helps, getting people to test you etc. You may feel like you're not prepared but once your'e in the exam you will be surprised about what you can remember!
    Also if you get 8As and 3Bs that is amazing!!! Just stay calm although it is difficult and I feel the exact same way as you,, but GCSEs are not the be all and end all, I mean As and Bs are brilliant grades

Just out of interest, what A levels/BTEC or whatever are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    dont go to school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eg1472)
    I'm honestly in the same boat as you, my first exam is on the 17th. I've been revising for months and feel like nothing's going in but panicking isn't going to help, it doesn't achieve anything it just makes everything worse. Take a deep breath and what i do is just to say positive things like instead of "I can't do it, I'm useless, I'm going to fail" say "I CAN do this, I've worked hard, it'll be fine!!"
    Also make sure take loads of breaks like i never did this and my mum literally had to tell me to stop revising complete opposite of my brother...
    For me my break is watching half an hour of a TV show or reading a book or whatever

With regards to flashcards there is a week left- this is plenty of time to learn and I am sure you will have lots of time to prepare even once exams start like technically my exams start in a week but the last one i have 5 weeks to prepare for!!! Flashcards just do one at a time I find saying it aloud or making a pneumonic to remember them really helps, getting people to test you etc. You may feel like you're not prepared but once your'e in the exam you will be surprised about what you can remember!
    Also if you get 8As and 3Bs that is amazing!!! Just stay calm although it is difficult and I feel the exact same way as you,, but GCSEs are not the be all and end all, I mean As and Bs are brilliant grades

Just out of interest, what A levels/BTEC or whatever are you doing?
    Thanks for this really nice response! I'm thinking of doing Biology, Geography and Chemistry (lord help me). Not sure about Chem yet, I'll see how I do at GCSE first.. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    dont go to school
    this. school wastes time in final days near to exam unless you need specific help with a topic

ReputationRep:
    I literally crammed one of my GCSE exams and regretted it because on the day my mind went blank, I didn't do bad but I doubt I did better than good.

Tip; breathe, take breaks and don't try to over-cram/think everything too much.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! I just need to work my hardest this week! I also need to calm myself down, I know that once I start the exams I'll be fine. 7 days is a lot of time if I use it productively, and some of the exams I'm worried about I got an A* in the mock without revision (RE, which is the first exam) so I should be fine if I just breathe and stay calm/focused. Also, I need to stop thinking about the grade I want, and just do my best, because what more can I do?

I want to thank you all again, and I wish everyone the very best of luck for any upcoming exams.

your welcome

ReputationRep:
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    I have my a level exams in 2 weeks and im way behind chill out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this really nice response! I'm thinking of doing Biology, Geography and Chemistry (lord help me). Not sure about Chem yet, I'll see how I do at GCSE first.. You?
    I'm doing Spanish, French and History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eg1472)
    I'm doing Spanish, French and History
    Oh I really like French but I could never take it at A Level!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.