The Student Room Group

High achieving student from a working class background with a criminal record

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenOut

Are engineering firms not as stringent on background as other firms?

Engineering firms don't usually do the sort of background checks where this would come up, neither do Universities.

If you have a job that gives you regular access to children of vulnerable adults, you will usually be DBS checked, in which case a conviction will show up. Most schools will have a zero tolerance to 'intent to supply', and I suspect so would most other organisations, unless charities involved in substance abuse etc - but if you are after the money, you won't be working there!

Financial and legal employers usually have strict ethical codes, and getting stricter all the time. If you were already in the role, a very low end 'intent to supply' conviction might keep you in role, but I think it is very doubtful you could start a career with that conviction.

You need to do more basic research on careers, you can get paid just as well in engineering as you can in many other careers, and for less 'work' in terms of working hours and with more diversity than schlepping to a city office for 30 years.
Deleted..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GreenOut
I'm going to discuss with my solictor on Monday. I didn't want to be an engineer in this country as they are not financially rewarded to the same extent as other employment sectors, despite being required to much more difficult work. Though if it seems like the only feasible route into respectable employment, I don't really have the luxury of ruling it out.

Are engineering firms not as stringent on background as other firms?

I think it's more that legal/financial firms have to be very stringent on the background check of their employees. You can only do a DBS check/enhanced check if you have good reason as an employer, an engineering firm wouldn't necessarily be able to justify this, whereas a legal firm or a banking firm usually can.

Most firms with banks will credit check and DBS check any employees. I used to work for a company with a private banking service, and even though my role was nothing to do with banking, because I could charge peoples accounts, I had to be credit checked and DBS checked. I was told that anything that could be considered "dishonesty" could bar me from working for the company and I believe the "intent to supply" part of the charge would come under this.

I would say don't be steamrollered into pleading guilty to anything, although this will obviously depend on your circumstances and any statements you've given to the police. For example saying something like "I'm holding it for a friend" could be considered intent to supply, although I'm sure you're already aware of this.

Also, if you like feel free to PM me after Monday if there are any details you don't want to put on the open forum.

I'd advise you not to discuss any details of the case anywhere it can be googled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending