Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B972 - Non-Binary Recognition Bill 2016 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    As the author of this bill, I am happy to take questions!

Aye, obviously!
    How are you currently being damaged due to the lack of legal recognition?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Why treat it when it's not harmful or detrimental?
    A lot of these sorts of conditions ha e a habit of coming with other detrimental conditions, whether there is a causal link or a common cause is irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How does this work with parts in the law where special consideration is given to gender? As judges are told by law to effectively be more sympathetic to women, which is why their sentences are a 1/3 of men's for the same crime on average. Therefore, can you explain what happens to a non binary person? Will they have to face a longer man's sentence or what?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I agree with the sentiment, absolutely, but how do things like loos work? Or changing rooms?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    A lot of these sorts of conditions ha e a habit of coming with other detrimental conditions, whether there is a causal link or a common cause is irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Stats and sources or it never happened.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by balanced)
    How does this work with parts in the law where special consideration is given to gender? As judges are told by law to effectively be more sympathetic to women, which is why their sentences are a 1/3 of men's for the same crime on average. Therefore, can you explain what happens to a non binary person? Will they have to face a longer man's sentence or what?
    It's to woman and minorities.

I think it's a safe assumption someone non-binary would have said consideration.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Transgender folks generally dress and look very much like the gender as which they identify. You probably would not have recognised one as such. As for your implication that transgender people might take the opportunity to molest children in whatever loo they're allowed into - why would someone who wanted to molest children let a symbol on the bathroom door stop them in the first place? Transgenders aren't more likely to be child molesters than any other group of the population, and we wouldn't be giving child molesters any opportunity they didn't already have.
    Well, a guy might dress up really well as a woman and invite himself into the ladies'.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm not following. Are you saying this is a law declaring:

a. Only non binary people can use the title Mx and nobody else can.
    b. Everyone can use all titles except non-binary people who can only use the title Mx.

Either way it's an unfair and restrictive law.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And you think repressing that view is indeed less mentally harmful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I don't think that gender identity needs protection as it comes under sexuality surely?
    Also people don't have the right to Mr and Miss ect. By law so why Mx? Surely it should be allowed to be common in society and then become recognised.

ReputationRep:
    A very sensible step, not overly controversial, but a simple way to acknowledge that some people prefer to identify as neither.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, mental health issues should be treated, not encouraged, but then the left has issues with that idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm against this idea.
    This is far too multifaceted, it is and should be a set group of male or female. Those who think they are of the opposite sex can receive 'gender realignment' surgery.

I don't want to seem harsh but this just doesn't make sense.

Nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Well, a guy might dress up really well as a woman and invite himself into the ladies'.
    This is actually terrible. I'm recognised in law as female. I won't go into detail, but I am sure you know what I mean. Why would I drastically alter my body on a whim? What makes you think that I would be a child molester?!

ReputationRep:
    If that person is genuinely transgender and presents as a woman, they should be entitled to do that. If, on the other hand, they intend to do it to get up to mischief, they will do it whether or not the government recognises non-binary people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    I'm against this idea.
    This is far too multifaceted, it is and should be a set group of male or female. Those who think they are of the opposite sex can receive 'gender realignment' surgery.

I don't want to seem harsh but this just doesn't make sense.

Nay.
    Jammy Duel appears to be against the notion of transgenderism as well as non-binary.

ReputationRep:
    If that person is genuinely transgender and presents as a woman, they should be entitled to do that. If, on the other hand, they intend to do it to get up to mischief, they will do it whether or not the government recognises non-binary people.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I agree with the sentiment, absolutely, but how do things like loos work? Or changing rooms?
    I would imagine whichever one the persons feels more comfortable in and/or use of disabled loos and changing rooms.

That person isn't transgender or non-binary and would be doing that regardless of any laws to help transgender and non-binary people.

(Original post by RileyFox)
    Sorry, I'm not following. Are you saying this is a law declaring:

a. Only non binary people can use the title Mx and nobody else can.
    b. Everyone can use all titles except non-binary people who can only use the title Mx.

Either way it's an unfair and restrictive law.
    I commented on this on the last page, Mx is an already existing gender neutral title, and has been adopted by the non-binary community, along with the pronounds they/them, to denote them being outside the gender binary. People can continue to use Mx instead of a gendered pronoun, but this legally makes it a pronound for non-binary people as well, so they don't have to legally use Mr or Miss/Mrs/Miss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    PRSOM
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    This is actually terrible. I'm recognised in law as female. I won't go into detail, but I am sure you know what I mean. Why would I drastically alter my body on a whim? What makes you think that I would be a child molester?!
    Because if a guy who identifies as female is allowed to go into a female loo, then it makes it a hell of a lot easier for him to do anything.

I'm pretty sure that if a guy walks into a female loo, any woman in there would either tell him to get out, or more likely go and find someone to get him to leave. As this line between whether a guy can or can't go into the females get's blurrier because people don't want to offend, or whatever, it makes it easier for those guys to offend. It is also unfair. I wouldn't wanna share a loo or changing room with a female - well, depends who she is, but if I was a 9 year old girl, I wouldn't want a guy with his **** flapping about right next to me changing...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.