Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After having applied for unis I have learned that except for English language and maths most subjects are pretty irrelevant to them and they mostly care about a levels you do and Btecs and that you have 5 A*s to Cs in general ( unless it's like Oxford , Cambridge ... ) so I assume if you do all your other subjects but don't go to literature you should still get into uni find just ensure that you don't require English literature to get into the alevel / Btecs you want to do next year. However in order not to annoy your school you may want to just go to the exam and sit there you don't have to do anything that way you won't get in trouble

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleuryette)
    You can't be so naïve to think literature is all about "curtains are blue" English literature is a russell group subject, and psychology isn't. It's about understanding texts fully, and taking other opinions and facts into account, all of which are applicable to essays and writing reports, which will help you a lot. Don't use excuses, I had a friend who was ill and was in hospital, so she strived hard to get the best grades, which she achieved, don't p*ss this opportunity to better yourself, you'll regret it
    english literature is about understanding texts in a way that i Literally Cannot. i was never going to do well in it. i think too literally because i have ASD.
    my condition is not the same as your friends - each person and their condition is different. to tell me to suck it up and stop making excuses clearly shows that you have no understanding of what im going through, nor respect for me.
    when ive visited the hospital before, the person from the camhs team who spoke to me said that if need be, i could drop all subjects but the ones i needed for college as some mentally ill kids who visit hospital so that they dont literally end their lives do that so that they can Literally Survive school.
    i wont regret this. stop putting words in my mouth when you clearly dont know my situation, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirigiri)
    i have never read anywhere that you need lit to get into uni. some people arent even offered to take lit. i dont see why unis would check your gcse grades if theyre entirely irrelevant to the course youre taking, arent pushed by the government, and again, arent even offered to everyone as a separate gcse (since some take the hybrid).

im not asking for it to be condoned, i just wanted to know. its stressful because i dont want to sit the exam. if i do have to sit it, despite the fact that i know ill fail, i will still panic immensely. i panic really easily. comes with the ill mental health.

thank you, thats what i was looking for.
    they couldnt really give me a grade anyway. i missed the lit mock, and i havent done anything at all in class over the last two years that could be considered either. they would have absolutely Nothing to go off of.
    i had some degree of respect for you, but now i do not. i'm sure, or at least hope, that all of these disadvantages of yours were formally diagnosed, but that doesn't mean that it's literally impossible to do things like english literature. the way any subject is, that you dont need to understand ****. as long as you remember it, and literally copy it word for word into the exam paper, you'll pass. but claiming that your multitude of disadvantages is stopping you from doing anything is ridiculous. don't expect to do psychology at uni either if you are so incapable thinking outside the box because application is a major part of psychology, and if you can't apply in english literature, you won't succeed.

im sure you're struggling, arguably more so than others in your situation. but limiting yourself because of your 'situation' illustrates how clueless you really are.

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the exam and wing it. Make stuff up and you'll get some marks.

Or be really funny in your papers and make them famous online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackthb)
    i had some degree of respect for you, but now i do not. i'm sure, or at least hope, that all of these disadvantages of yours were formally diagnosed, but that doesn't mean that it's literally impossible to do things like english literature. the way any subject is, that you dont need to understand ****. as long as you remember it, and literally copy it word for word into the exam paper, you'll pass. but claiming that your multitude of disadvantages is stopping you from doing anything is ridiculous. don't expect to do psychology at uni either if you are so incapable thinking outside the box because application is a major part of psychology, and if you can't apply in english literature, you won't succeed.

im sure you're struggling, arguably more so than others in your situation. but limiting yourself because of your 'situation' illustrates how clueless you really are.
    god, youre ignorant

yes, they are professionally diagnosed. not that thats any of you business.

its a common thing for people with ASD to struggly significantly with literature. google it, if you want. i read tons while researching for an english project before.
    literature isnt something you read and remember all the facts to recall for. science? yep. maths? yep. history? yep. englishes? no. i have no idea where you got the idea that literature is even remotely like that, lol.

i hope to get into uni, but i know theres every chance i wont. thanks for reminding me.

ReputationRep:
    god, youre ignorant

yes, they are professionally diagnosed. not that thats any of you business.

its a common thing for people with ASD to struggly significantly with literature. google it, if you want. i read tons while researching for an english project before.
    literature isnt something you read and remember all the facts to recall for. science? yep. maths? yep. history? yep. englishes? no. i have no idea where you got the idea that literature is even remotely like that, lol.

i hope to get into uni, but i know theres every chance i wont. thanks for reminding me.
    You're missing the point. The entire point of my post was that I get that it is difficult, but that doesn't mean that it is useless to try, or impossible for someone with autism pass in.

Also pretty funny that you think maths is based on fact recall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackthb)
    You're missing the point. The entire point of my post was that I get that it is difficult, but that doesn't mean that it is useless to try, or impossible for someone with autism pass in.

Also pretty funny that you think maths is based on fact recall.
    i never said it was impossible, just harder than it is for allistic people.

and no, its not, bad categorisation on my part. but you do sit there in class, learn what a simultaneous equation is, learn how to solve one, then recall all of that in an exam.
    thats not how it is at all in lit. theyll present you with texts and tell you to WPSLOMP it or whatever but its not at all comparable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You don't need Eng Lit GCSE ....
    Obviously she doesn't need it but it might disadvantage her. I know the course I want to apply to would disadvantage me for not having a GCSE in English Literature

ReputationRep:
    i never said it was impossible, just harder than it is for allistic people.

and no, its not, bad categorisation on my part. but you do sit there in class, learn what a simultaneous equation is, learn how to solve one, then recall all of that in an exam.
    thats not how it is at all in lit. theyll present you with texts and tell you to WPSLOMP it or whatever but its not at all comparable.
    Then you agree with me, at least somewhat. What English Literature, Maths is, what Psychology is (at least from my experience in AS), is largely based on application. So I admit that it was wrong of me to assume book reading would solve most of your problems, however that I do believe you can quite easily compare the 2. You learn the skills, the equations, the basis of poems. Then, when whatever poem comes up, you apply it to the context.

However, I can try my best to empathise and understand as you have missed many lessons, at this stage, it could be too late to catch up. I guess a revision of my advice would be to do what feels most comfortable, provided not taking the exam has no costs. Otherwise you should go for it, you could surprise yourself, a lot of gcses is just common sense.

ReputationRep:
    ive seen some posts on the internet talking about the consequences of not showing up to exams but i dont know whether theyre still applicable now so

what could happen if i didnt show up to my two english lit exams?
    i literally know none of the content and i didnt complete my coursework./
    Your school is highly unlikely to withdraw you at this point, so you will land up with a U. Us don't show on certificates but you do have to declare them on university applications.

You would not be able to apply for special consideration for the subject as you need to have to complete at least 50% of the assessment to do that, and you will not have done so.

You might as well give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Obviously she doesn't need it but it might disadvantage her. I know the course I want to apply to would disadvantage me for not having a GCSE in English Literature
    What course is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    What course is that?
    Medicine, and some of them( as you probably know) use a point based system which includes English Literature. I doubt the OP wants to do medicine with a lack chemistry, but it's just one example.

ReputationRep:
    i know this much, but i am getting a gcse in english language (ie- the one the government wants us to have). do i really need the lit too?
    Yes otherwise your final grade will go down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnsmith12121)
    Yes otherwise your final grade will go down
    my performance in lit doesnt affect my lang grade.

ReputationRep:
    why is everyone on this thread failing to understand why OP can't do the exam jeez....

ReputationRep:
    ive seen some posts on the internet talking about the consequences of not showing up to exams but i dont know whether theyre still applicable now so

what could happen if i didnt show up to my two english lit exams?
    i literally know none of the content and i didnt complete my coursework. i wanted to drop it but the person who decides that in my school is really tough on dropping exams + i already dropped all of chemistry (C1, C2 & C3) last year and after school ad maths and french for this year. i know my camhs worker would support me on this but:/

edit: please stop telling me that not showing up is daft and that i should sit it. i didnt ask for your opinion. i just want to know what the consequences of skipping it could be.
    Only pussies and ***** don't show up for exams...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dammio)
    Only pussies and ***** don't show up for exams...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    you need maths and english language for sixth form so do atleast those. you need 5 Cs to get into most sixth forms so don't keep dropping anymore if you want to go. you need Bs usually to do the subject at A level, or alternatively they can go off your english. but tbh if you don't have much of a GCSE sixth forms can't go off much and your opportunity will decrease. Yes English lit is a lot of memory work. you just literally have to remember quotes and be able to explain what they mean.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    i know this much, but i am getting a gcse in english language (ie- the one the government wants us to have). do i really need the lit too?
    I can't confirm whether this is correct or not (so apologies if I am wrong!), but I assume that when people say "GCSE English", they mean both the Lang and the Lit components, since everyone has to take both English Language and English Literature.

I didn't think I'd do very well in Lit but I actually ended up with a higher grade in Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I can't confirm whether this is correct or not (so apologies if I am wrong!), but I assume that when people say "GCSE English", they mean both the Lang and the Lit components, since everyone has to take both English Language and English Literature.

I didn't think I'd do very well in Lit but I actually ended up with a higher grade in Lit.
    schools and the government only want you to have language (obviously theyd prefer you to have literature too, but language is the one they push for and you may have to resit if you dont do well enough) & not everyone takes them as separate gcses (some take them as a single hybrid gcse).

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.