Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student in California misnamed as Isis Phillips!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NachoPhilosopher)
    Where does it actually say that?
    All the school commented was that they apologize for 'regrettable misprint'
    Trevor Santellan, one of the students who worked on the yearbook, said there actually was a student named Isis Phillips at Los Osos who transferred earlier in the year, according to ABC News' Los Angeles station, KABC-TV.

ReputationRep:
    Where does it actually say that?
    All the school commented was that they apologize for 'regrettable misprint'
    Having missed a whole paragraph in the article that explained the likely reason for the misprint, you'll appreciate how easy it is to make such a mistake now, won't you?

ReputationRep:
    One student involved says that Isis Phillips was actually a student at some point in the high school.

Quite clear that they due to an error still had him in the system, no one knew who he was, saw the photo with the Hijab and assumed Isis Phillips is the girl with the Hijab.

So while probably was not intentionally malicious, it was still stereotyping that led to this.

ReputationRep:
    the faux outrage is hilarious

ReputationRep:
    Of course! any story can be made up from any given points! Mistakes are only done by these guys. If Muslims make mistakes, they pay huge prices for their mistakes!

ReputationRep:
    Of course! any story can be made up from any given points! Mistakes are only done by these guys. If Muslims make mistakes, they pay huge prices for their mistakes!
    It's a pity this one doesn't appear to have followed the plot you hoped for then. Which would you have preferred, that a Moslem girl is the victim of a trivial error or that she had really been oppressed? I am glad it's the former, but you appear to regret it isn't the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It's a pity this one doesn't appear to have followed the plot you hoped for then. Which would you have preferred, that a Moslem girl is the victim of a trivial error or that she had really been oppressed? I am glad it's the former, but you appear to regret it isn't the latter.
    The thing is, the denial of the people to accept the fact, the bitter truth how Muslims are being treated worldwide, to close your eyes to an open truth, is utter stupidity!
    and your writing 'moslem' instead of Muslim? What does it portray? Nothing but your inability to adapt to, to accept as part of the society, a whole community!

ReputationRep:
    the bitter truth how Muslims are being treated worldwide, !
    The bitter truth is that it is Moslems that are treating their fellow Moslems badly.

You read an awful lot into the spelling of a word.

ReputationRep:
    The bitter truth is that it is Moslems that are treating their fellow Moslems badly.

They obviously aren't "true" muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    the article says there was someone else actually called isis phillips in the school
    I bet the poor girl who is actually called Isis Phillips feels great at the fact that her name is now inherently Islamophobic, according to everyone who feels personally offended.

Having missed a whole paragraph in the article that explained the likely reason for the misprint, you'll appreciate how easy it is to make such a mistake now, won't you?
    Comment of the year :lol:

ReputationRep:

Stupidity overloaded!!
    Nothing more to say!

ReputationRep:
    There are a few other points raised elsewhere. One is that her family are looking to take legal action. Another is that earlier in the year the school was in the news as a result of an incident involving racism.

Zehlif Will Likely Not Return to School Until the Issue is Resloved, CAIR-LA Says. CAIR-LA issued a statement Sunday saying its attorneys are exploring legal options after the name Isis was put under yearbook picture of her. “No student should have to face the humiliation of being associated with a group as reprehensible as ISIS.” CAIR-LA added it “has learned that this may not be the first Islamophobic event to have occurred recently at the school.”

The incident is the second controversy for the Rancho Cucamonga high school this year. In January, some students and parents were angered when the student newspaper ran a column titled “Is the n-word offensive?,” according to CBS Los Angeles. In some instances, the n-word was not censored.
    http://heavy.com/news/2016/05/bayan-...earbook-photo/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    One is that her family are looking to take legal action.
    I wondered when that would emerge. It is the only reason for making such an issue of a non-event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reinaadira)
    You can't be a Muslim if you worship more than one god. Therefor Goddesses is plural. A lot of ANCIENT Egyptians were not Muslim, like Tutankhamun, and worshipped many gods and goddesses like Isis.

Isis, the Egyptian Goddess, came years and years BEFORE the ISIS today. Ancient Egyptian civilisation came together at around 3150BC
    That's ageist!

Yes, the younger generation may have different religious views, but you can't dismiss people just because they're old.

And you should call them elderly, not ancient. That's offensive.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is this? Isn't this quite apparent prejudice and nothing more?
    What are your views?

https://gma.yahoo.com/yearbook-photo...opstories.html
    lol she said:

"I am extremely saddened, disgusted, hurt and embarrassed that the Los Osos High School yearbook was able to get away with this,"

Just because they gave her the wrong name in the yearbook?....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Innocuous error deliberately interpreted as causus belli for WWIII.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    That's ageist!

Yes, the younger generation may have different religious views, but you can't dismiss people just because they're old.

Sorry, I didn't realise the term "Ancient Egyptian religion" was offensive
    Your saying it is Ageist.
    Ageist- Ageism (also spelled "agism" is stereotyping and discriminating against individuals or groups on the basis of their age. This may be casual or systematic. The term was coined in 1969 by Robert Neil Butler to describe discrimination against seniors, and patterned on sexism and racism.
    That wasn't even my point, my point was correcting that in Islam, there is no goddess called Isis
    So all schools teaching Ancient Egyptians should now call it "Elderly Egypt Shouldn't they". you completely missed my point! My religion is ancient, I don't mind anyone calling it ancient because it is. How is it even offensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reinaadira)
    How is it even offensive?
    I suggest you take a trip to Currys and buy yourself a new sarcasm detector to replace the faulty one you currently have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    That's ageist!

Oh my gosh! I don't meant "Old" Egyptians, I mean "ANCIENT egyptian civilisation!
    How is it hard to understand?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.