The Student Room Group

Scared of year 11

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=Anonymous1502;64730853]I know I don't need maths but my parents urge me to do it so I need to do maths for them.

look just belive in yourself and go fr them i m sure u will good grades because year 11 is not difficult u just start revising the things u have done so dont worry
Original post by Hydeman
Take English Lit, in that case. Again: your dad won't be the one sitting the exams, so what he enjoys is frankly irrelevant.

Edit: English Lit is no more or less useful for a medical application than maths.

I know but what if i change my mind and hesitate and go for an engineering degree instead maths leaves me more open doors in case I decide that I want a different career as next year i want some job experience in a hospital to decide for once and all whether to turn my back on medicine or pick it because I would ideally do engineering and hen work in finance. But I need some job experience to make my decision because things are not always greener on the other side.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I know but what if i change my mind and hesitate and go for an engineering degree instead maths leaves me more open doors in case I decide that I want a different career as next year i want some job experience in a hospital to decide for once and all whether to turn my back on medicine or pick it because I would ideally do engineering and hen work in finance. But I need some job experience to make my decision because things are not always greener on the other side.

You need to have a rough idea of what you want to do at university before choosing your A Levels - they're not like GCSEs where it's all about 'keeping my options open.' If you want to go for medicine, then take chemistry, biology, and another subject that you enjoy. If you want to go for a more mathematical field, then take maths (and further maths, if appropriate).

Don't play this 'keeping doors open' game. If you change your mind later, there are plenty of ways to change course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by draculaura
Remember; no one cares about your GCSEs as long as you've passed them (unless you want to go somewhere to Oxbridge or do something like medicine, but even then it's not a massive loss - pretty sure I saw someone who got into Oxbridge and had an E in one of their GCSEs.) People take much more notice of your A-levels rather than your GCSEs. Obviously try hard in them, but if your best doesn't work out, don't stress about it. Dunno if that helped, but it's the truth.

Really an E? I thought they were obsessed with A/A* grade students.
Original post by Hydeman
You need to have a rough idea of what you want to do at university before choosing your A Levels - they're not like GCSEs where it's all about 'keeping my options open.' If you want to go for medicine, then take chemistry, biology, and another subject that you enjoy. If you want to go for a more mathematical field, then take maths (and further maths, if appropriate).

Don't play this 'keeping doors open' game. If you change your mind later, there are plenty of ways to change course.

What do you mean?I first wanted to be a doctor for 2 years than I realised how badly junior doctors are treated and how long the thefts are and how unappreciated and exploited they really are.Thus i wanted a job where i would get paid similarly yet less hours doctors do get paid well but let's not forget they put much more hours into their work for less pay than let's say an engineer or investment banker.It made me question my passion of medicine as I am ruled my money not heart but I am also ruled by stability and medicine is a pretty stable industry unlike some others where you could find yourself surprisingly unemployed the next day.I feel conflicted what to do go for stability or financial security?I am interested in aspects of finance,engineering and medicine.The thing is I cannot rule out which I really want to do out of the three.I cannot pick my true passions and where my heart lies I love physics now but what if it is only temporary I hate maths but what if it is temporary I am struggling to pick what I want from life.

What if finance,medicine and engineering sound like a good plan but what if I like the idea of these jobs.Any advice would be useful thank you please don't judge.
Original post by Tinka99
Really an E? I thought they were obsessed with A/A* grade students.

Yeah. Here on TSR, actually. I might try find it and link it. (If I can) - this was a while ago.
And yeah, people do think that's the case. I think it's because many people who are intelligent enough for Oxbridge are usually capable of As/A*s, but there are some people who don't get a glittering set of results, and they're still incredibly intelligent and Oxbridge standard. The personal statement, exam and interview [oh, and I suppose predicted A-level grades but it's usually conditional anyway] come before your GCSE results. They do matter, but they aren't obsessed.

Quick Reply

Latest