Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't decide what car to get skyline/porsche/audi/bmw? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shane-draper)
    Right, I'm looking to buy a car. The best cars I have found in my budget are -

Nissan Skyline R34 GTT with GTR bodykit Attachment 530593
    Audi A5 2.0 TFSI sline Attachment 530593530597530600
    BMW 325i M sport [attach]5.305935305975306e+23[/attach]
    Porsche Cayman 2.7 Attachment 530593530597

pros and cons

skyline is fast and cool but older and worse interior
    porsche looks like its worth a lot more than it is, but only has 2 seats. also If anything goes wrong it will cost 1000's
    Bmw and audi, as jeremy clarkson said are cocks cars but would be the cheaper ones to run

what do you think? And what would impress girls the most?
    have to agree with lNurl to an extent that i am more of a mercedes guy but if you have to go with one of your choices take the audi as it is a professional looking car and doesn't draw any attention unlike the porshe which will make everyone look, the bmw make to look like an total w****r and the skyline is more of a joke car made famous because of a movie franchise than a series car unless your into street racing

ReputationRep:
    I've had nothing but compliments from my passengers in my Merc. Girls love it. The difference is the level of comfort that you'll get in a C class or better Merc. Everyone wants a smooth and comfortable ride. C250 might be a bit out of budget, but a C220 is surprisingly quick, too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey bro if i was in your shoes id pick the audi. Its smooth, classy and sleek and wont attract unwanted attention. The skyline might pick up girls into drag races or something. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Dont get the Porsche. Anyone that knows a thing about cars will say so. I'd personally go for the Audi. The BMW is nice, BUT servicing etc. will be expensive. Plus the Audi looks better

ReputationRep:
    Oh have you gathered up enough dole money to buy a toy one?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows the Reliant Robin is the only car for the real man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Out of those, Skyline.

A Cayman just shouts "I can't afford a proper Porsche".
    Perhaps if you're a bar room expert that's never owned a porsche...

By "proper porsche" i assume you mean a 911?
    911's are GT's these days. They aren't sports cars anymore. A Cayman is much closer to the original ethos of the 911 as it's much lighter and nimbler.

ReputationRep:
    "Girls" have lots of categories, and there are grey areas between each.

Personally, I would take a car that is classy but understated. For example, a new executive saloon like an A4/A6 or C/E Class would be much preferred over an old Nissan Skyline. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE a skyline personally, but I'm a car guy. Most girls are NOT car people.

With my car, to be honest, there's a lot of gadget stuff I hate about it. But in terms of just driving, I love it. Before, I had a 2012 BMW 320D. Very uncomfortable, and sitting in the back was impossible.

Now, I have a 2015 Mercedes.

Just choose a car that YOU like, and if you like it, you'll know it. If you know it, you'll be it. And if she doesn't like it, then you shouldn't like her. End of story.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the Audi. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Audi!!!

ReputationRep:
    as far as drivers cars go, cayman. if you can get a manual and ideally a 3.2. ignore the 'can't afford a ferrari' bs, no it's not a ferrari, or even a 911, but it's a driving experience that the other barges won't come close to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shane-draper)
    the porsche, audi and bmw are 550-700 and I'm still waiting for a quote back for the skyline
    That's phenomenally good, I have 5 years NCD and my insurance is still 400 on a citroen C1...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    skyline = chav / I watch too much Fast & Furious
    porshce = I want a Ferrari but they're too much
    bmw = My parents bought me this / I picked this up from an old man

audi (especially in white) = I'm a hip, young, wealthy professional and I'm a greatguy

Go Audi
    Disagree about the skyline as long as you're not a complete ricer about it. If you're a considerate driver on the roads, a skyline is one of the ultimate jap tuners to own.

Although I wouldn't have it as a main car. Maybe as a second to something a little more understated.

Haven't driven a porsche, so I can't comment much on that. BMW are a bit of a pain in the arse, and I don't like the layout of the new audis (I test drove the A4 and A6).

If I could only choose one though, I would probably go with the Nissan, but that's just me. Everyone's taste is different.

ReputationRep:
    Skyline all the way!!!
    Although im a huge jdm fan so that may be biased!
    But the R34 is awesome but i prefer the R33 tbh.

ReputationRep:
    BMW is the best. The Audi is very dull and characterless, the Porsche will be tired and the Skyline will be rubbish 99% of the time because they get thrashed. The BMW will be the most enjoyable to drive and that's all that matters; you aren't going to impress anyone with just a car and the type of women you will attract with a shiny badge is not the type you want.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't buy a GTT with a GTR kit. if you want a gtr, you could probably grab an r32 gtr within your budget, and it wont make you look like a f&f fanboy, but dont buy a gtt that wishes it were a gtr (imo)

audi and beamer drivers are stereotypically douchebags

the cayman is the mildest porsche

so tbh
    r32 gtr

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.