Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I too jealous... how would you react in this situation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybabies22)
    It can be difficult to define what flirting really is. For me there are certain lines that are inappropriate to cross if you are not single. It's one thing to be perceived "checking out" or briefly staring at someone you find physically attractive for example, but not pursuing them in any way, and another to actively demonstrate desire to connect particularly in the presence of a boyfriend or girlfriend.

I had just returned from a 12 hour shift at work, and it had taken him some persuasion to get me to go with him to a bar as the place isn't my usual scene. I had dressed up so he could feel proud to be with me and a friend of his came with us.

When we got there he ended up in a long argument with the bartender over the price of a drink. It was causing a scene and eventually I paid for the drink myself to attempt to calm the sitatuation. He made a slightly annoyed comment that I didn't need to do it but we finally got away from the bar which was my main intention. There was an attractive blonde girl around my age standing behind him. I stood awkwardly with my drink watching as he approached her and leaned in close to make a comment.

I didn't get to hear what was said at the time but he claimed it was because he was trying to set her up with his friend by asking if she liked the jacket he was wearing. She'd apparently told him she liked his better. I remember giving him a look because it made me feel uncomfortable but I just let it slide. Shortly after this he approached her a second time, again leaning in to make another comment while I stood in the background. I saw it and it made me feel like a complete idiot so I just walked straight out.

He ran after me and told me I had "passed the test" because it obviously showed I liked him so much. I was very angry and it ended up turning into a full blown argument, and I apologised a lot the next morning. He claimed he was just being friendly and was like this with everyone, but I don't think he'd have been impressed if the tables were turned. I worry I am too jealous and insecure.
    Oh my word, why even bother, this guy is obviously an immature jerk.

Ditch him and move on.

he sounds like a douche.

Leave him, he has no respect for you, and wants you to show him you like him but can't respect you or show you that your the only one he finds attractive.

I'm sorry OP that would be really awkward and a horrible situation!

ReputationRep:
    Wow he tried to make you jealous on purpose? That's messed up. How long have you been together? He obviously is trying to prove a point.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    that would piss me off lol especially the whole 'you passed the test' thing and i wouldnt apologise but thats just me

ReputationRep:

He ran after me and told me I had "passed the test" because it obviously showed I liked him so much. I was very angry and it ended up turning into a full blown argument, and I apologised a lot the next morning. He claimed he was just being friendly and was like this with everyone, but I don't think he'd have been impressed if the tables were turned. I worry I am too jealous and insecure.
    You're not jealous he's a moron doing a "test." Dump him :facepalm: Why did you apologise :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I'm very happy atm there are just hiccups.
    You delude yourself that you're satisfied because you've no self-esteem to speak of, which in turn goes most of the way towards explaining this loathsome bounder's mid-life-crisis fuelled narcissistic affinity towards a girl (presumably) young enough to be his offspring. Make no mistake; the likelihood of your ultimately coming to reflect upon this as a fulfilling, life-affirming or in any way remotely positive episode during arguably the most formative stage of your budding adulthood—except, perhaps, as a cautionary lesson realised several years too late—is virtually non-existent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    You delude yourself that you're satisfied because you've no self-esteem to speak of, which in turn goes most of the way towards explaining this loathsome bounder's mid-life-crisis fuelled narcissistic affinity towards a girl (presumably) young enough to be his offspring. Make no mistake; the likelihood of your ultimately coming to reflect upon this as a fulfilling, life-affirming or in any way remotely positive episode during arguably the most formative stage of your budding adulthood—except, perhaps, as a cautionary lesson realised several years too late—is virtually non-existent.
    Can we have that again, but in plain English please?

ReputationRep:
    It's weird.
    "You've passed the test" wtf your relationship with him isn't an exam. He sounds really weird and immature lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.