So did I tbf when I first spoke to him on here :lol:

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    Looooool nucdev is my bhai m8
    And your Bhagwan + Saarthi too, right?
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Looooool nucdev is my bhai m8
    Well, kem chho from this "wheatish" complexioned chhokro!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    I've gotten snide comments like that behind my back! :lol:

'She definitely bleaches'
    Wtf lol

Maybe it's some deep seated insecurity and they put others down to make themselves feel better?
    Idk
    Lol I've even Gotton asked that to my face and I'm not even that light! I am just a lighter shade of brown than most black people I come across, I am guessing it must be even worse for you since you are albino.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Well, kem chho from this "wheatish" complexioned chhokro!
    Wheatish :rofl:

India/Pakistan held these kinda views from before colonial times
    True
    Before then darker skin was seen as more attractive in India.
    Any examples of this, in texts? I personally can't think of any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonsponge)
    Any examples of this, in texts? I personally can't think of any.
    Two pivotal characters of the Mahabharat, Krishna and Draupadi are both described as being dark skinned and as the most handsome/beautiful of those times.

In fact, one of the other names of Krishna is "Shyamsundar" which literally translates as "Black and beautiful".

ReputationRep:
    I've not once experienced racism or discrimination for being Pakistani. Not even close.

This is because I don't look Pakistani I look like a tanned white guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Two pivotal characters of the Mahabharat, Krishna and Draupadi are both described as being dark skinned and as the most handsome/beautiful of those times.

In fact, one of the other names of Krishna is "Shyamsundar" which literally translates as "Black and beautiful".
    Krishna was the example i was going to post. I'm not that well versed with actual scripture, because I haven't read translations nor can I read Sanskrit so idk about specific examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyavati

These stories are too funny :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    People notice difference, if you stand out from the group in some way people will notice and bring it up as a joke or as a way to have a 'pop' at you. Lanky or short, skinny or fat, blonde or ginger, muscular or skinny, every single feature about a person can be used to deride them as pointing them out in terms of their difference because its something you are not and therefore can make fun of or ridicule without the obvious 'touche' response. Skin colour is no different in that regard, people merely choose to focus massively on it (which is why the rise of 'fat shaming' and other such BS terms have come about as people recognise how this difference operates and dislike their position on the spectrum. There's no lanky or ginger solidarity movements is there)

ReputationRep:

yeah... my dadima's baa used to call me another name for krishna as kario. She'd be like "maro kario" :rofl:
    literally "my blackie" hahahahahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    yeah... my dadima's baa used to call me another name for krishna as kario. She'd be like "maro kario" :rofl:
    Now waiting for someone to reply that their Dadi's Baa used to call them "maaro dhoriyo" = "my whitey" :toofunny:

Although I am interested in how your "Chhel Chhabilo" name came about :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Now waiting for someone to reply that their Dadi's Baa used to call them "maaro dhoriyo" = "my whitey" :toofunny:

when i used to come back from holidays really black, my grandma used to call me "kala makara" = "black coal" :lol:

ReputationRep:

looooool There's no bhagwaan that has the nickname "dhoriyo" though.

It came from here
    Ae lambo daglo mucho vakadi shire paghadi rati, bol bol to thodo thodo chel chabilo gujarati, Are re hu chel chabilo gujarati,

when i used to come back from holidays really black, my grandma used to call me "kala makara" = "black coal" :lol:
    I've never heard coal in gujarati, but I've only ever seen makar when looking at raashis.
    nucdev isn't makar, capricorn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv;64768441
    I've never heard coal in gujarati, but I've only ever seen makar when looking at raashis.
    [user=2079463
    )

nucdev[/user] isn't makar, capricorn?
    idk, might be Swahili tho

ReputationRep:
    idk, might be Swahili tho
    yeah, just looked it up, and it said "makaa". That mixed with gujarati is probably makaro! hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    yeah, just looked it up, and it said "makaa". That mixed with gujarati is probably makaro! hahaha
    yeah if makaa is coal, makaro is probably literally something like "person of coal" or someone who has characteristics of coal. loool that's so harsh thinking about it now :lol:

ReputationRep:
    yeah if makaa is coal, makaro is probably literally something like "person of coal" or someone who has characteristics of coal. loool that's so harsh thinking about it now :lol:
    It's funny that you say that, because everytime baa called me kario, I cried. IDK why though.... My parents never pushed the "black is bad" agenda, except for the typical "sunblock vaapar, nakar tarko ma, mathu dukhse ne kadach cancer pun thase"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.