Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Blackpool IS officially the London of the North. Agree? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Blackpool is Britain's second most visited place by tourists after London. Its is one of the few places that has identity like London has Big Ben Blackpool has its famous tower. London has its red buses and Blackpool has its trams.

I saw on TV how the Japanese preferred to visit Blackpool after London. Many said that they weren't interested in Bath, Oxford or York and that. Blackpool had style and heritage. One even described it as little Paris.
    You're on drugs. And so are they.

I live about three miles from Blackpool, and I've only seen Japanese around there about three or four times - in the twenty-six years I've lived here. Also if they think it has style and heritage they really are on drugs.

Pft, heritage. Most of the place was built since the 1890s. That's pretty recent as far as heritage goes - my own house is older. Blackpool's main heritage is that it literally gets its name from a cesspit.

ReputationRep:
    Blackpool is a tacky seaside town. I personally love it for a laugh but it's nothing like London. I wouldn't even compare the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    The hate comes from the fact that it is a fairly run down and tacky place. Sure, you'll be able to spend a week there, but it doesn't mean the place is any less shite. A lot of the stuff there is run down, tacky and the whole town could use some improvements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    tears, surely Birmingham/Manchester are London of the north
    Yes in terms of population they probably are seen as the London of the North but to be like London you need to be a tourist magnet and have culture to pull people in plus architecture that stands out. A place that's almost got brand status.
    Blackpool wins in that case.

Its a tourist magnet like London
    It's got culture
    It's got identity with its tower and iconic trams
    Its architecture stands out such as the Tower, piers and Pepsi Max.

More tourists visit Blackpool than Bath, York, Cambridge, Cotswolds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    The hate comes from the fact that it is a fairly run down and tacky place. Sure, you'll be able to spend a week there, but it doesn't mean the place is any less shite. A lot of the stuff there is run down, tacky and the whole town could use some improvements.
    Do most folk here seek out the trashy run down sectors of Blackpool to stay in when they visit then? Where I stayed was quite pleasant. I didn't go further afield than the tourist stretch though and I don't do seedy bars, pubs and clubs. I can see how tourists would be oblivious to the roughness that residents may come across.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.