Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not going to vote in the EU referendum? watch

Announcements

I would very much like to vote but alas, I am too young.

In any event, I would have voted stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BodhiUtah)
    Yep voting leave just to wind up the left wing liberal nutters
    You realise David Cameron and the majority of the tory party are large proponents of our membership in the EU right? Voting out will be financial suicide for our already hurting physical industries and I truely hope that people listen to reason aswell as every ****ing economist who has weighed in his opinion on the debate.

ReputationRep:
    I really really wish I could vote but I can't because I'm 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    You realise David Cameron and the majority of the tory party are large proponents of our membership in the EU right? Voting out will be financial suicide for our already hurting physical industries and I truely hope that people listen to reason aswell as every ****ing economist who has weighed in his opinion on the debate.
    As may staying. The fact is the EU is doomed to fail. Another financial crash or Greece, Portugal etc leaving the EU will open up the flood gates. Sweden already destroyed by mass immigration if that happens to Germany Merkel is gone along with the EU.

It will exist but only for major nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    I've got exams to focus on. We're going to remain in the EU anyway.
    Not true, we're almost certainly walking out.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, the viewpoint where the country is a business and a tiny amount of money potentially lost is enough to buy your soveriegnty, dignity and democratic rights.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    David Cameron and most of the Tory party are a bunch of left wing liberal nutters. Also if every economist who has weighed in is for remaining then how come there are some for leaving?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Well I disagree, but we'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Well I disagree, but we'll just have to wait and see.
    Bit of a stupid argument because neither of us can actually definitively say what will happen hahaha

Polls are about 40/60 R/L but the Free vote is rising pretty quickly as time goes on and the proper arguments for freedom and social equality filter through the population and outdo the strange justifications for staying.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Bit of a stupid argument because neither of us can actually definitively say what will happen hahaha

Polls are about 40/60 R/L but the Free vote is rising pretty quickly as time goes on and the proper arguments for freedom and social equality filter through the population and outdo the strange justifications for staying.
    At no point in the last 70 months has either side had 60% bar a single massively anomalous poll last summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    my birthday's in july T_T

ReputationRep:
    I am voting to remain. As a woman, I do find that I have a duty to exercise my right to vote. My sister (who is 5 years older than me) always used to bang on at me about the importance of voting and that I should always vote (or spoil the ballot paper as some have suggested) but I never really took her seriously until I was of age. You could say it's a lack of maturity, but then again I know plenty of people in their 20s, 30s, 40s etc that can't be bothered to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BodhiUtah)
    Yep voting leave just to wind up the left wing liberal nutters
    lmaoooooo

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand the point of spoiling your ballot for this referendum.

I can kind of understand people spoiling their ballot in an election where it is about voting for political parties and they feel they don't get enough choice of options amongst the parties. But this referendum is on a constitutional issue it isn't choosing representatives. It's about what political system do we want to be in. Do we want to be a member of a multinational organisation that sets laws at that level or do we want to be outside the multinational organisation and bring all law making back to the UK Parliament level.

If you spoil your ballot basically you're just saying you reject having the choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I really don't understand the point of spoiling your ballot for this referendum.

I can kind of understand people spoiling their ballot in an election where it is about voting for political parties and they feel they don't get enough choice of options amongst the parties. But this referendum is on a constitutional issue it isn't choosing representatives. It's about what political system do we want to be in. Do we want to be a member of a multinational organisation that sets laws at that level or do we want to be outside the multinational organisation and bring all law making back to the UK Parliament level.

If you spoil your ballot basically you're just saying you reject having the choice.
    I think you make a good point about the difference between spoiling your ballot paper for a general election and an EU referendum, but do you think that spoiling a ballot paper could represent the frustration in the poor campaigns run by both the leave and remain sides?

ReputationRep:
    I don't vote in anything, nor do I feel ashamed of myself, as the self-righteous are quick to tell me I should. I have complete apathy for the party elections and decisions like this, and I feel like not turning up expresses that much better than spoiling a ballot. The way things are going to go in the world is set in motions by economic forces far more potent than a series of irrelevant votes designed to give citizens the illusion of choice and power. However, deeper than that, I do not feel a need to express my voice to the system - I'm happy for things to happen without my input. What will be will be.

Also, those who bang on about your duty to vote - why does it matter if only 50% of the voting population do vote? People make up these statements like 'If all the non-voters had voted, we could have completely changed the outcome'... that in itself is ridiculous, as if all the non-voters are of the same ideology? When your population is millions, increasing the voting percentage from 50% to 75% is incredibly unlikely to change the results at all, there is likely a very similar spread of people among both groups.

Self-righteous duty-to-vote people - my opinion is that it is a pathetic, powerless system, and my/your vote does not matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hann95)
    I think you make a good point about the difference between spoiling your ballot paper for a general election and an EU referendum, but do you think that spoiling a ballot paper could represent the frustration in the poor campaigns run by both the leave and remain sides?
    It's a pretty futile gesture as the campaign teams won't care.

In the end some people will vote and they will determine the result. If someone doesn't want to vote or doesn't have strong feelings then that's fair enough. But why make the effort to go to the ballot box and spoil your ballot - it won't achieve anything.

Also why pick your choice on the campaigns run by the leave and remain sides. I will make up my own mind based on my own research, I don't care about the campaigns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    nah britain is too apathetic <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    It's a pretty futile gesture as the campaign teams won't care.

In the end some people will vote and they will determine the result. If someone doesn't want to vote or doesn't have strong feelings then that's fair enough. But why make the effort to go to the ballot box and spoil your ballot - it won't achieve anything.

Also why pick your choice on the campaigns run by the leave and remain sides. I will make up my own mind based on my own research, I don't care about the campaigns.
    I suppose you could argue that in any type of election. I think spoiling a ballot paper is very much a personal thing.

I agree, my decision has been made on the knowledge that I have obtained myself, but I do think a lot of people rely on those campaigns to help make their decisions and are getting frustrated with the tit for tat manner in which they seem to be being run.

ReputationRep:
    VOTE STAY!! If we leave we'll become more like the negative side of America. People got their fact twisted.. Look at who is telling you to vote leave. If you pick apart their claims and fact check them; you'll find they are massively distorted.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.