The Student Room Group

UNI STUDENTS - Would you like an app that only people who are at UNI could use?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Shumaya
lol you're probably doing university wrong if you need to make controversial posts on facebook to have a good time

I'm not at uni and don't wanna go. But I do know that some people want to express themselves through what they put online and don't feel able to do this because of what others will think.
Original post by dwinnbrown
Why shouldn't there be a place for people to do all this and then separate their Facebook page as being a more suitable representation of themselves.

You know groups are separate from your facebook page right?

I could post nudes to the uni page all day long and none of my family would see it. Strictly only university students who have joined that page.

You just said you don't even go to uni, maybe you research what university pages are about before trying to find a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.
Reply 22
Original post by CodeJack
You know groups are separate from your facebook page right?

I could post nudes to the uni page all day long and none of my family would see it. Strictly only university students who have joined that page.

You just said you don't even go to uni, maybe you research what university pages are about before trying to find a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

But could the university admins not see it?

The facebook pages are usually run by students.

No. it's completely separate to the university. These pages are run by students. But if another student wanted take screen shots and report a post you made to the uni, they could. Just as they could do on your app.
Reply 25
The facebook pages are usually run by students.

Ok Mr Rogerson your point has been made.

Good luck with your game dev course at Birmingham...

This thread will be disappearing soon :smile:
Try YikYak.
So, you want very social media savvy people to join something that's going to kick them off when they leave uni - when they most want a social media platform to keep in touch with friends who have now started moving around for jobs...?

And you're going to create a platform where people can share 'whatever they like', rather than the "PC" Facebook? So what happens when some guy posts naked pictures of the girl he picked up in the SU the night before? If you give people a platform that they can abuse, they will abuse it. And you're giving them no way to report?

Yeah. That'll work...
Ok Mr Rogerson your point has been made.

Good luck with your game dev course at Birmingham...

This thread will be disappearing soon :smile:

*Ahem* stalker
Reply 29
*Ahem* stalker
Not a difficult task with the internet as it is XD...or should I say social networks set up the way they are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Arkasia
Try YikYak.

Used it...people in the area who aren't at uni can use it
Reply 31
Original post by Drewski
So, you want very social media savvy people to join something that's going to kick them off when they leave uni - when they most want a social media platform to keep in touch with friends who have now started moving around for jobs...?

And you're going to create a platform where people can share 'whatever they like', rather than the "PC" Facebook? So what happens when some guy posts naked pictures of the girl he picked up in the SU the night before? If you give people a platform that they can abuse, they will abuse it. And you're giving them no way to report?

Yeah. That'll work...

Don't see why not...
Not a difficult task with the internet as it is XD...or should I say social networks set up the way they are.

Well there's nothing visible I wouldn't mind anyone seeing. The posts you see are only half of what's there.
Reply 33
Well there's nothing visible I wouldn't mind anyone seeing. The posts you see are only half of what's there.

I'm not trying to prove anything...as I said this will disappear soon enough.
I don't think that this would be a viable thing to spend money on developing.

If you're selling it as a place to talk communally on campus then you'd need to hand a level of control to the institution so that they can moderate content. It can't be anonymous as, surprisingly, anonymous apps go tits up with uni students. Just this past week on my uni's Ekho, we've seen nudes, egg fights, bullying and discrimination. :rolleyes:

A similar app to what you're proposing is called Comundu. I used it at a hostel in Copenhagen. It allows you to sign up with your Facebook and check into the hostel via your location services. Then there was a Facebook-like wall where you could post photos, ask questions and communicate. For instance: Hey, I'm going on the walking tour in the morning - is anybody else up for it?... It still got the odd **** post here and there, but generally was a great idea.

Also most unis already have this kind of product with Office 365, they just don't utilise it - though probably will as we go forward: Yammer. Looking at it now, it looks like a great part of Office and could definitely solve the question of how a university communicates with students.

Ultimately an app will only survive if there's virality or the university/SU use it. Therefore it needs to be controlled, for there to be guidelines, and for it to be extremely functional. That said, I really wouldn't pump money into this idea.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Roving Fish
I don't think that this would be a viable thing to spend money on developing.

If you're selling it as a place to talk communally on campus then you'd need to hand a level of control to the institution so that they can moderate content. It can't be anonymous as, surprisingly, anonymous apps go tits up with uni students. Just this past week on my uni's Ekho, we've seen nudes, egg fights, bullying and discrimination. :rolleyes:

A similar app to what you're proposing is called Comundu. I used it at a hostel in Copenhagen. It allows you to sign up with your Facebook and check into the hostel via your location services. Then there was a Facebook-like wall where you could post photos, ask questions and communicate. For instance: Hey, I'm going on the walking tour in the morning - is anybody else up for it?... It still got the odd **** post here and there, but generally was a great idea.

Also most unis already have this kind of product with Office 365, they just don't utilise it - though probably will as we go forward: Yammer. Looking at it now, it looks like a great part of Office and could definitely solve the question of how a university communicates with students.

Ultimately an app will only survive if there's virality or the university/SU use it. Therefore it needs to be controlled, for there to be guidelines, and for it to be extremely functional. That said, I really wouldn't pump money into this idea.

Thanks for a useful response :smile: I wouldn't really be pumping money into this, just time. I have the required skills to code this app but am just trying to gauge whether or not it might be something useful or as the case seems to be...not useful. Thank you though
Nah, seems pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending