The Student Room Group

Anyone else sick of all the petitions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethan100
Jeff like I said on a previous thread, those who do not continue in school may need a strong National 5 Pass in Maths for a certain college course or job. PTS even told you the same, I may not agree with petitions but you are very foul when expressing your opinions. Really just shows your immaturity and you are supposed to be a S5/6 right ? Oh and I find it funny how you feel more sympathy towards Higher English an exam you sat than other exams that people had which caused controversy

Anyway Zain, I agree with you, I think the petitions have gotten a little out of hand. The SQA may see that people had difficulties with the exam and change grade boundaries if necessary, there is no need for petitions,

Original post by Zain-A
Need to agree with Ethan here Jeff, you're being a bit unreasonable and immature. The maths paper last year was not a fair paper, the SQA even admitted this.

My problem with the petitions is they all demand grade boundaries to be lowered but don't understand that they will be lowered based on performance not on a petition. The petition makes no difference and is just stupid tbh.

Agree, the SQA need to be held accountable if these exams were in fact unfair in anyway and petition after petition is undermining our ability to do so.

I love it that everyone refers to me as Jeff ahahaha.

You guys need to calm. I did last years higher maths paper and found it easy tbh and was hoping for a similar exam tbh. Maybe its the way we're taught in school. We're told that shaded area = integration so I integrated in that question. We're told that "eventually" or "long term" = limits so I did that in frog question. We're told that maximise or minimise = optimisation so despite not understanding the text, you can still get those 8 marks by just looking at the bloody formula. We're told that anything that doesn't factorise in trig could be wave function first = it was and they actually told you what to do.

I really don't see why the exam threw off so many? Last questions was the same as the specimen paper. The frog question you didn't even need the text they gave. This is not me being cocky. This is me telling you that from the way we were taught at school, the paper turned out to be fine. Our teachers even admitted that most pupils at our school found the exam very fair.

For national 5... I know people who have failed yet are still sitting highers in those subjects so don't argue that.
If you guys found the exam so hard then why did some find it pretty good? They had near enough the same access to resources as everyone else? I even messaged some people I know asking how it went and they all said it went really well. Upon my first glance at the paper I saw a question nearly IDENTICAL to previous years'. Past papers are to help not to be the same as your exam. Higher maths I am grateul I found easy this year because I did all the past papers back to 1998 and all the model papers and all the leckie leckie papers and all the sqa papers and all the prelim papers our school had. I revised and it went well. If you revise and UNDERSTOOD EVERYTHING then you would've been fine.

By all means, I feel sorry in the fact that so many found it difficult but not one person at our school sitting nat 5 I have heard complaining. I understand this because knowing them, they work hard. So why is it you guys found it hard while others found it easy? Did you not revise as much as others? If so that's your fault. If you haven't been taught something, that's your school's fault not the SQA's. I really do understand what it's like to flunk an exam. I came out of nat 5 physics and was devastated that I genuinely thought I failed. I realised soon it was only nat 5 and highers count but results day came and still I don't know how but it says "National 5 Physics - A."

So all of you guys saying I am being immature, I simply say go and revise. The SQA have made the right decision. By all means the higher english exam was difficult but I practiced my ass off. You saw how many papers I did for maths, I can't even count how many I did for English. I only signed the petition to hope the sqa will give me an easy A but you need to realise, it's not going to work. Nothing you do will work. Your results depend on everyone else's performance. So since some people found nat 5 good, i really do think the sqa will keep a normal grade boundary.

They won't make a big deal and will say that it's not higher.

I don't feel sympathy for the higher english exam. Were you given information which many others on this site agree worried them 48 HOURS BEFORE YOUR EXAM? We had bad news before going in. That is bad. We didn't make a petition then though now did we.
Original post by TheAPupil
Maths paper last year was easy tried it for practice before yesterday's exam and got 82% but I may understand why a petition was created for that. However, a petition for the nat 5 maths exam this year is ridiculous especially because it's so easy (yes I'm a higher pupil but the problem solving skills involved in solving questions in paper 1 is even lower than nat 5 level - come on 3.14 * 50 what's so hard about that, grow up ffs you're expecting 3 * 2 in a non calculator paper?)

THERE IS HOPE!!!!

SOMEONE ELSE UNDERSTANDS! PRAISE THE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD!!!

Bloody nat 5's :colonhash:
Original post by sameehaiqbal

I'm sorry if you found it difficult but I really don't know what else to say. I hope nothing but the best for your grades and I still have grades I need too.

But you guys need to realise, the sqa won't consider your petition for ****. They even responded by basically saying piss of and revise more. Now what are you striving to emulate? They have basically said that you guys the exam wasn't bad. You're not making a difference.

You still have more to go, don't get bogged down.

The sqa will consider your petition a joke. They just did tbh.

Best of luck though and the only reassurance I can give you is that if you put down what you knew and found at least one of the papers fine, then you will do well.

If you're aiming for a B they will make that band really big I am assuming and make it smaller for A grade candidates to differentiate them out
Original post by Jeff548.
THERE IS HOPE!!!!

SOMEONE ELSE UNDERSTANDS! PRAISE THE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD!!!

Bloody nat 5's :colonhash:

Doing last years paper would have been easy for you this year because that paper would have influenced the way teachers taught you. If there was a term that was on the paper that people who sat it didn't understand, then your teachers would have said what it meant to prepare you for the 2016 exam just in case something similar would come up.

And I don't really understand why you included Nat 5s ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Why the **** would you want to sit higher when failing national 5? You're just putting yourself in the deep end, and the teachers who allow that arent right because at my school and most schools (idk whats wrong with your school..) you need a B to sit higher maths. I get you did *lots* of revision but so did we. I mean, on the other threads you were all "yay everyone sign the english petition" and now you're here saying that petitions are useless (which i do agree with) on top of that you're making Nat 5 students sound like an absolute joke just because you're doing higher? i found paper 1 difficult - and so did the majority of people who walked out of the exam hall. In fact, I saw one girl crying!! We all know you're doing higher and yadayauda and you find the paper SO easy @Jeff458.
Urghhhhhhhhhh sjsjdhslsododi
Doing last years paper would have been easy for you this year because that paper would have influenced the way teachers taught you. If there was a term that was on the paper that people who sat it didn't understand, then your teachers would have said what it meant to prepare you for the 2016 exam just in case it would come up.

And I don't really understand why you included Nat 5s ?

WHY is he so hell bent on making nat 5's look bad?!?!?!?!
Original post by sameehaiqbal
WHY is he so hell bent on making nat 5's look bad?!?!?!?!

I'm not sure, He is making higher's look bad with the way he talks and expresses himself. Somebody earlier told me he got banned and made another account and I can see why that's the case.

For Jeff not doing well means that you didn't revise, but that's not the case for a majority of people. I know people who were not gifted in Maths and put hours and hours on end of revision, doing questions on specific topics and past papers (However they did not help). I could see that they had improved significantly but the exam just didn't go well for them.
(edited 7 years ago)
the english paper wasnt difficult at all, i agree the close reading paper was slightly dodgy but if you got half marks - 15, did your folio pieces decent marks and also proper revised your **** i.e novels/poetry then you should walk away with a B or a low A- idk why you're so anxious . even if sqa changed their paper 48 hours before it should make no difference because like YOU said you should revise all your **** to be prepared for any questions RIGHT? So i dont get why the english paper is making you SOOO anxious- i can understand nat 5 petition but the petition for english was downright idiotic. Youre completely contradicting what youre saying and your hypocrisy is evident @Jeff458.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not sure, He is making higher's look bad with the way he talks and expresses himself. Somebody earlier told me he got banned and made another account and I can see why that's the case.

For Jeff not doing well means that you didn't revise, but that's not the case for a majority of people. I know people who were not gifted in Maths and put hours and hours on end of revision, doing questions on specific topics and past papers (However they did not help). I could see that they had improved significantly but the exam just didn't go well for them.

OMG WOW. Thats exactly what im trying to say thank you!!!
Guys don't listen to Jeff he's just being really big headed and immature.
(edited 7 years ago)
I love it that everyone refers to me as Jeff ahahaha.

You guys need to calm. I did last years higher maths paper and found it easy tbh and was hoping for a similar exam tbh. Maybe its the way we're taught in school. We're told that shaded area = integration so I integrated in that question. We're told that "eventually" or "long term" = limits so I did that in frog question. We're told that maximise or minimise = optimisation so despite not understanding the text, you can still get those 8 marks by just looking at the bloody formula. We're told that anything that doesn't factorise in trig could be wave function first = it was and they actually told you what to do.

I really don't see why the exam threw off so many? Last questions was the same as the specimen paper. The frog question you didn't even need the text they gave. This is not me being cocky. This is me telling you that from the way we were taught at school, the paper turned out to be fine. Our teachers even admitted that most pupils at our school found the exam very fair.

For national 5... I know people who have failed yet are still sitting highers in those subjects so don't argue that.
If you guys found the exam so hard then why did some find it pretty good? They had near enough the same access to resources as everyone else? I even messaged some people I know asking how it went and they all said it went really well. Upon my first glance at the paper I saw a question nearly IDENTICAL to previous years'. Past papers are to help not to be the same as your exam. Higher maths I am grateul I found easy this year because I did all the past papers back to 1998 and all the model papers and all the leckie leckie papers and all the sqa papers and all the prelim papers our school had. I revised and it went well. If you revise and UNDERSTOOD EVERYTHING then you would've been fine.

By all means, I feel sorry in the fact that so many found it difficult but not one person at our school sitting nat 5 I have heard complaining. I understand this because knowing them, they work hard. So why is it you guys found it hard while others found it easy? Did you not revise as much as others? If so that's your fault. If you haven't been taught something, that's your school's fault not the SQA's. I really do understand what it's like to flunk an exam. I came out of nat 5 physics and was devastated that I genuinely thought I failed. I realised soon it was only nat 5 and highers count but results day came and still I don't know how but it says "National 5 Physics - A."

So all of you guys saying I am being immature, I simply say go and revise. The SQA have made the right decision. By all means the higher english exam was difficult but I practiced my ass off. You saw how many papers I did for maths, I can't even count how many I did for English. I only signed the petition to hope the sqa will give me an easy A but you need to realise, it's not going to work. Nothing you do will work. Your results depend on everyone else's performance. So since some people found nat 5 good, i really do think the sqa will keep a normal grade boundary.

They won't make a big deal and will say that it's not higher.

I don't feel sympathy for the higher english exam. Were you given information which many others on this site agree worried them 48 HOURS BEFORE YOUR EXAM? We had bad news before going in. That is bad. We didn't make a petition then though now did we.

Why are you turning this into an argument bout higher maths? Over half the Qs you listed are some of the easiest in that paper so don't start. Hypocritical SQA fanboy
(edited 7 years ago)
Everyone saying that revising more would have made no difference...

Ok. Try that out. I think we should compare people who have revised and those who haven't and see who has done better. If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.

You need to answer the question: Why did some people find the exam fine then?

They had the SAME resources near enough as you guys. Why are you all so so concerned. I am scared for my grades but I'm not this scared! Whatever you get you get. Whatever you've done, you've done.

What do you guys want me to say? The SQA literally told you guys to **** off. I'll be honest I did laugh at their reply as the petition is now pointless.

My point in the other thread states that I believe the english exam was fair but a few people were exaggerating the difficulty of the exam and 9000 others agreed so I signed to further my cause for an A hopefully, I am already confident but I did mess up the close reading badly which is a shame but what can you do. It is done. You can do nothing. If you've failed in terms of the content you produced in the exam then you've failed. You cannot do anything. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. So stop having a go because I did expect the SQA to at least investigate or something but they literally said too **** off so...
Original post by Zain-A
Why are you turning this into an argument bout higher maths? Over half the Qs you listed are some of the easiest in that paper so don't start. Hypocritical SQA fanboy

Sqa fanboy? Ahahahahahahaha.

So you agree? You agree that the nat 5 maths paper which at a glance was similar to my years, and the sqa admitted was inline with other papers, caused "floods of tears."

And I talked about maths because the guy was making an argument over that... So...

Plus, if I need some help on some questions, I will try my best to get that help. I'm not going to bother arguing over my ability because that's not for anyone to decide. I work hard to hopefully achieve my desired grades and not care what anyone else thinks. I wouldn't care less if it took me 20K worth of tutoring. If it works in the end, then I will be happier than anyone
Sqa fanboy? Ahahahahahahaha.

So you agree? You agree that the nat 5 maths paper which at a glance was similar to my years, and the sqa admitted was inline with other papers, caused "floods of tears."

And I talked about maths because the guy was making an argument over that... So...

Plus, if I need some help on some questions, I will try my best to get that help. I'm not going to bother arguing over my ability because that's not for anyone to decide. I work hard to hopefully achieve my desired grades and not care what anyone else thinks. I wouldn't care less if it took me 20K worth of tutoring. If it works in the end, then I will be happier than anyone

Talking about higher maths, suggest you chill now because you've taken this thread down a direction I didn't want it to go when I made it.
Original post by RossB1702
Guys don't listen to Jeff he's just being really big headed and immature.

So you agree that despite the sqa clearly stating that it was designed in line with other past papers, the exam was "ridiculous" and despite the fact it was only paper 1 since paper 2 is worth more marks and can boost you up?

I am trying to tell you guys that you're making no point in your petition now.

My point about the help I needed I just posted in another message, Frankly, much appreciated. I am glad that question wasn't in the 2015 higher because it would've screwed me! That's why I am glad it was only a simple one in paper 1. But thanks for your help. Just didn't realise you would come and rub it in that you helped me? I am glad, not ashamed. I am glad to receive help if I need it. It means I am able to learn more and become more enthusiastic about my subjects
Original post by Zain-A
Talking about higher maths, suggest you chill now because you've taken this thread down a direction I didn't want it to go when I made it.

Mate, I'm chill. I'm not the one bitching about ONE PAPER WHICH IS WORTH LESS MARKS THAN THE OTHER. I am simply expressing my humour at the SQA's diminishing response to their petition lol
Mate, I'm chill. I'm not the one bitching about ONE PAPER WHICH IS WORTH LESS MARKS THAN THE OTHER. I am simply expressing my humour at the SQA's diminishing response to their petition lol

You're being highly ignorant and condescending.
Because they're ****ing naturally good at maths and are good at logically thinking as someone opposed to me who is not a logical thinker who functions from memory?! Youve still not answered why you think nat 5 candidates are "lazy and stupid shits" and why you're degrading them idk why you keep bringing higher into this the fact that you found higher easy has nothing to do with it and btw idc but youre VERY hypocritical for saying a petition is useless and then signing it just so you can "hope for an A" - similarly why are you slagging off nat 5's cos they made a petition about something they deemed right(even if me and you find it pointless) if people wanna sign it they can if they think it helps them just like YOU did theres no reason to get all "nat 5's are **** and nat 5 candidates are stupid" because the MAJORITY of scotland found the paper hard granted there maybe a percent that didnt! not everyones gonna pass and not everyones gonna fail your argument is so invalid .
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending