Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting university at 20 and graduating at 24? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdan22)
    Hello,

I'd like to know what people think about my situation. I live in Scotland and last year I left school but took a gap year to reapply. Anyway, I have changed my mind about my firm university choice due to the location as well as the course, and I am now considering going to college for a year in order to get into a better/RG university and a different course. Since my birthday is in April, I would be starting next september at the age of 20 and graduating at 24.
    Is this common? Should I pick age over prestige/more opportunities and just keep going? And lastly, would graduating at 24 harm my career?

Thanks in advance
    I will be starting uni at the age of 24 and finishing at the age of 27 😂 This year start. But my friend who is in her 40s is starting with me, so really it doesnt matter the age. Going uni is always a good thing. My dad graduated when he was 47. And I know people who went uni even in her 50s. It's never too late 👍You are still very young, plan your future wisely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merfie)
    Hopefully Primary Education and History at Edinburgh. If not, straight Ed will do. Yourself?
    History/IR St Andrews or Glasgow. Will you do a masters as well?

ReputationRep:
    History/IR St Andrews or Glasgow. Will you do a masters as well?
    Nice! I have friends at Glasgow, and they absolutely love it!

Definitely want to complete a Masters in history, potentionally would like to go for a PhD in Scottish Medieval history as well. (If I can get the funding)

ReputationRep:
    im 19 and if i dont get into university this year im just going take a year to do an apprenticeship with digital media before applying for university when i get to 20

ReputationRep:
    I will be graduating uni at 20 which feels way to young, id rather be in your situation. Also if it makes you feel any better about 1/4 of the people in my year are like 30+, eldest guy in our year is 40+. Doesn't matter what age you are, I think its great your starting uni at 20. All my uni friends that are mature students all say to me that people in the age range of 17-25 should definitely be trying to get into uni as it will make a significant difference to your future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'd like to know what people think about my situation. I live in Scotland and last year I left school but took a gap year to reapply. Anyway, I have changed my mind about my firm university choice due to the location as well as the course, and I am now considering going to college for a year in order to get into a better/RG university and a different course. Since my birthday is in April, I would be starting next september at the age of 20 and graduating at 24.
    Is this common? Should I pick age over prestige/more opportunities and just keep going? And lastly, would graduating at 24 harm my career?

Thanks in advance
    I stayed at a 6th form an extra year and thought I'd be older than people at uni. My best mate is 21, I'm 20 atm, my class is full of people from ages 18-34. I've even met a friend on a different course who is 54. Age doesn't mean anything especially if you are doing what's best for you before go to uni. What are you interested in studying at uni? I'll be graduating at 22 where a lot of people I went to school with would be graduated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kam Brar)
    I stayed at a 6th form an extra year and thought I'd be older than people at uni. My best mate is 21, I'm 20 atm, my class is full of people from ages 18-34. I've even met a friend on a different course who is 54. Age doesn't mean anything especially if you are doing what's best for you before go to uni. What are you interested in studying at uni? I'll be graduating at 22 where a lot of people I went to school with would be graduated.
    Cool. So are you in your second year now?
    I'd like to study international relations/politics with history or economics. PPE would be my ideal subject but the only unis that do it are in England.
    Would you say it's normal for a 20 year old to be living in halls? I'd be turning 21 at the end of my first year lol.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Cool. So are you in your second year now?
    I'd like to study international relations/politics with history or economics. PPE would be my ideal subject but the only unis that do it are in England.
    Would you say it's normal for a 20 year old to be living in halls? I'd be turning 21 at the end of my first year lol.
    Thanks
    Yes just finished my first and am now enjoying summer. They sound really interesting what unis have you looked at? Yes I know people in their mid 20's living in halls. They all enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kam Brar)
    Yes just finished my first and am now enjoying summer. They sound really interesting what unis have you looked at? Yes I know people in their mid 20's living in halls. They all enjoy it.
    Sweeet. St Andrews and Glasgow - I got offers from Edinburgh (my hometown) and Aberdeen. Went with the latter but the city really wasn't for me. Where are you studying? if you don't mind me asking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.