Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Monday 16th May: Depression & Anxiety watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    :jumphug: thank you for the kind words (if you get time, there's some threads linked in the OP!)! I'll follow your blog if I don't already, you're completely right! That's why we're making a really big deal out of this week :yep:
    You're welcome! I will definitely be reading the threads linked in the OP! :hugs:

I suffered with depression through my whole secondary school time, I also suffered with eating disorders throughout. I couldn't wait to move on to somewhere new by the time I got to year 11 (went to a different college).

Suffering with it all was OK while it was a private matter between me and my head of year / couple of teachers, but one day my HoY less than subtle in front of a whole class and everyone found out. Literally became the talking point of my year group with conversations going quiet as I entered the room etc.

Anyhow, nowadays I no longer communicate with anyone from school - must be 7 years ish since I left and no one in my 'new life' actually knows about it - even my long term boyfriend, and I just isolate myself n the days when I'm feeling low as I don't like to talk about it / talk it through.

Works for me
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I suffered with depression through my whole secondary school time, I also suffered with eating disorders throughout. I couldn't wait to move on to somewhere new by the time I got to year 11 (went to a different college).

Suffering with it all was OK while it was a private matter between me and my head of year / couple of teachers, but one day my HoY less than subtle in front of a whole class and everyone found out. Literally became the talking point of my year group with conversations going quiet as I entered the room etc.

Anyhow, nowadays I no longer communicate with anyone from school - must be 7 years ish since I left and no one in my 'new life' actually knows about it - even my long term boyfriend, and I just isolate myself n the days when I'm feeling low as I don't like to talk about it / talk it through.

Works for me
    I'm really sorry to hear about that happening to you especially with your HoY's lack of diligence. That's really sad but I'm glad you're feeling OK now and you know what works best for you when you're feeling down :hugs:

This is such a lovely thread! I have had anxiety and depression before, and I have found that fandoms and music has helped me (sometimes songs that just get you, and empowering songs). Also dance and drawing and writing (improving my poetry skillz ) has also kind of helped me express and deal with my emotions, maybe it will help others.

Also for my anxiety and ocd, I try to use distraction/ label like a mental image/ post it to remember when I have checked some thing and it's alright to reassure myself. I can go into more detail if anyone wants
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    This is such a lovely thread! I have had anxiety and depression before, and I have found that fandoms and music has helped me (sometimes songs that just get you, and empowering songs). Also dance and drawing and writing (improving my poetry skillz ) has also kind of helped me express and deal with my emotions, maybe it will help others.

Also for my anxiety and ocd, I try to use distraction/ label like a mental image/ post it to remember when I have checked some thing and it's alright to reassure myself. I can go into more detail if anyone wants
    :hugs: that's an amazing tip. Listening to music really makes me happy, especially upbeat piano! :love: We've got an event going on during Thursday (I think ) for OCD! You could post in Thursday's thread? :giggle: Or here, it's up to you thank you for sharing! :hugs:

I'm really sorry to hear about that happening to you especially with your HoY's lack of diligence. That's really sad but I'm glad you're feeling OK now and you know what works best for you when you're feeling down :hugs:
    Thank you for your kind words

I'm fine nowadays, just the odd 'off day' which isn't that bad really - everyone can do with a day to themselves now and again anyhow . I made a lot of online friends in the time between school and college and I really think they helped me more than anything, and I still see a lot of them nowadays, I met a lot of them through bands and things

I think something like mental health is always in the back of the mind (pardon the pun ) of people that have suffered / suffer which makes it a lot harder to move forward with life. I try my best to not let the past drag me down, onwards and upwards .

ReputationRep:
    I'll read your story soon C2H6 ! you guys are so strong thank you so much for being brave enough to share your experience on the internet <3 it helps a lot of us who are going through similar stuff :')

ReputationRep:
    i was diagnosed with depression in the winter of 2014/15 and after that my life seemed to just spiral down. i stopped going into school and very rarely left the house. i spent months on the sofa feeling either miserable or empty. pretty much every day i felt suicidal to some degree. i also missed taking my chemistry gcse.
    by the time that that academic year had ended and i went into year 11, i was feeling better than i had done (still dreadful, but better). my attendance improved, but i dropped another two subjects because school was really stressful. while my attendance is slowly declining again, i do not feel the same bleakness as i did before, and i know that things are better in relation to my depression specifically than they were before.
    this whole time ive been on medication and been seeing my camhs worker weekly, and i know i wouldnt be where i am without those things.

so what i have to say is that if youre in a tough place, please try and seel help if you can. talking to your gp is a great first step and it can definitely lead to better times for you.
    also, things get better. they really do. stay safe and keep on keeping on - i believe in you and im rooting for you! your best efforts are always enough.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by kirigiri)
    i was diagnosed with depression in the winter of 2014/15 and after that my life seemed to just spiral down. i stopped going into school and very rarely left the house. i spent months on the sofa feeling either miserable or empty. pretty much every day i felt suicidal to some degree. i also missed taking my chemistry gcse.
    by the time that that academic year had ended and i went into year 11, i was feeling better than i had done (still dreadful, but better). my attendance improved, but i dropped another two subjects because school was really stressful. while my attendance is slowly declining again, i do not feel the same bleakness as i did before, and i know that things are better in relation to my depression specifically than they were before.
    this whole time ive been on medication and been seeing my camhs worker weekly, and i know i wouldnt be where i am without those things.

so what i have to say is that if youre in a tough place, please try and seel help if you can. talking to your gp is a great first step and it can definitely lead to better times for you.
    also, things get better. they really do. stay safe and keep on keeping on - i believe in you and im rooting for you! your best efforts are always enough.
    Thank you so much for such a positive contribution! I'm sorry you've been going through what you have :hugs: you've given some great advice and I'm glad that things have got better since before. You're amazing, keep on keeping on as you say! :hugs:

:hugs: that's an amazing tip. Listening to music really makes me happy, especially upbeat piano! :love: We've got an event going on during Thursday (I think ) for OCD! You could post in Thursday's thread? :giggle: Or here, it's up to you thank you for sharing! :hugs:
    Aw thanks yep piano music is really nice to listen to! I don't mind posting on Thursday's thread
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Aw thanks yep piano music is really nice to listen to! I don't mind posting on Thursday's thread
    You're awesome :jumphug:

This is what I'm listening to rn :love:

You're awesome :jumphug:

This is what I'm listening to rn :love:

You are awesome too! It sounds great! Really great to exercise to!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You are awesome too! It sounds great! Really great to exercise to!
    :hugs: music has always been a great release for me :yep: makes me really happy, this song especially :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    So glad more's being done around the mental health stigma! I've been called very colourful words because of my depression.

ReputationRep:
    it is a good idea to raise awareness for this
    being a sufferer of anxiety and depression myself, I will probably try and create a thread about it - however I may struggle - seeing as I don't really talk to anyone properly about it (apart from my councillor)

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: music has always been a great release for me :yep: makes me really happy, this song especially :giggle:
    Yep music is srysly great, especially upbeat songs, they just make feel so alive and excited! Also that song sounds like a great sound track to walk to like in movies!

ReputationRep:
    Massively struggling with quite a severe depressive episode at the moment. Really scared of how I am feeling.

Thanks for the thread and for being so open! Hope it helps people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd)
    Massively struggling with quite a severe depressive episode at the moment. Really scared of how I am feeling.

Thanks for the thread and for being so open! Hope it helps people.
    Hi lovely,

You can always come to me and have a chat via PM? :hugs: Have you checked out the links in the OP? I know it sounds a bit condescending but I promise you that the services are truly incredible at providing MH support :hugs:

Ethan

ReputationRep:
    I have autism which affects me socially and i also get anxiety were i can only have 1 person with me otherwise i feel really panicy and stressed, sometimes i will not go anywere on my own. sometimes i ditch my friends or cancel plans just because its a bad day and i dont feel confident going out on my own with them. i have nver had a panic attack i nearly have but i have never felt so scared in my life when that happened i dont mind talking about it because its something better to talk about then keep in to cause more stress or upset

this is just a brief overview

ReputationRep:
    Hi lovely,

You can always come to me and have a chat via PM? :hugs: Have you checked out the links in the OP? I know it sounds a bit condescending but I promise you that the services are truly incredible at providing MH support :hugs:

Ethan
    Aw, thank you so much. Might take you up on the offer sometime

I have read both yours and Deyesy's threads. Thanks for them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.