Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Share general lessons from your faith that everyone can benefit from! Watch

ReputationRep:
    "[They are] those who have been evicted from their homes without right - only because they say, "Our Lord is God." And were it not that God checks the people, some by means of others, there would have been demolished monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques in which the name of God is much mentioned. And God will surely support those who support Him. Indeed, God is Powerful and Exalted in Might."

Quran 22:40

This verse highlights the fact that one of the key reasons for violent jihad is to ensure the freedom of belief and religion. If some force is acting against the freedom of religion and congregation, then God permits us to violently destroy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sciatic)
    Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but God; that we associate no partners with him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, gods and patrons other than God." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's Will)."

Quran 3:64

This verse teaches us that instead of searching for and highlighting differences between the Islamic faith and Judaism or the Christian faith, we should instead try to always bridge the gap between the faiths by highlighting similarities so as to facilitate co-existence.
    Did you read what the Ayah states ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    I thought I'd make a thread where we could all, regardless of which religion we follow, gather to share snippets or general lessons from our respective faiths for the benefit of all.

We could have days where we post things on a particular subject (for example, selflessness, or humility, or patience, or loving thy neighbour, or wisdom). We could post explanations of particular religious quotes and discuss what we personally derive from them too.

What do you think, guys? :fatcontroller:
    Asalaamu Alaikum (Peace be upon you)
    PRSOM Great idea Masha'Allah (As Allah has willed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    Asalaamu Alaikum
    PRSOM Great idea Masah'Allah.

Thanks, wa 'alaykum assalaam (and peace be upon you too)

*Remember to translate in accordance to forum rules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlifunArnab)
    Did you read what the Ayah states ?
    Yes, another teaching that could be derived is that we shouldn't give up on our identity or label in the bid to unite with people of other faiths/beliefs etc

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, wa 'alaykum assalaam (and peace be upon you too)

*Remember to translate in accordance to forum rules
    You are welcome...oops sorry forgot...just edited it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd make a thread where we could all, regardless of which religion we follow, gather to share snippets or general lessons from our respective faiths for the benefit of all.

We could have days where we post things on a particular subject (for example, selflessness, or humility, or patience, or loving thy neighbour, or wisdom). We could post explanations of particular religious quotes and discuss what we personally derive from them too.

I think this is a great idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I think this is a great idea
    Good to see you here too, Racoon :hello:

ReputationRep:
    I do a daily bible app. Its called HTB 'Bible in One Year. The other week it talked about living life in HD.

Jesus offers us life in high definition There are two Greek words for life, one is 'bios' and the other is 'zoe'. We get biological from bios and it means to be alive rather than dead, the other means full, abundant, open hearted.

The words meanings are Jesus message - to have a life of fullness and purpose. living in HD.

Proverbs 11 v 19-28

ReputationRep:
    “God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you in the religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.”

"Someone said to the Prophet (pbuh), ‘Pray to God against the idolators and curse them.’ The Prophet replied, ‘I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse.’"

Spoiler:
    Show
    And why not one from Jesus:

“Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you.”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sciatic)
    Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but God; that we associate no partners with him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, gods and patrons other than God." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's Will)."

Quran 3:64

This verse teaches us that instead of searching for and highlighting differences between the Islamic faith and Judaism or the Christian faith, we should instead try to always bridge the gap between the faiths by highlighting similarities so as to facilitate co-existence.
    Verily, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians – all who believe in God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve. (Quran 2:62)

ReputationRep:
    "'This person is my relative and that one is a stranger’ – is the reasoning of the narrow-minded.
    However, for the noble hearts and the magnanimous, the entire world is but one family"

- Maha Upanishad (Hinduism)

"The one who loves all beings intensely, begins perceiving a part of himself in them.
    He becomes a lover of all, a part and parcel of the Universal Joy. He flows with the stream of happiness, and is enriched by each soul."

- Yajurveda (Hinduism)

"Why are people so afraid? The answer is that they have made themselves helpless and dependent on others. We are so lazy, we do not want to do anything ourselves. We want a Personal God, a Savior or a Prophet to do everything for us."

- Swami Vivekananda (Hinduism)

ReputationRep:
    Need drives us to God, (sometimes prosperity drives us away from God), we must NEED God.

The prodigal son had everything until there was a famine and he had spent every last piece of inheritance, then he needed, he longed to feed his stomach with the pigs food. He thought 'I can return to my father' his need and hunger drove him back to his father.

This is a spiritual analogy of us with God. We need Him. In times of desperation we seek him out.

Luke 15:11-32 (MSG)The Story of the Lost Son

Then he said, “There was once a man who had two sons. The younger said to his father, ‘Father, I want right now what’s coming to me.’ “So the father divided the property between them. It wasn't long before the younger son packed his bags and left for a distant country. There, undisciplined and dissipated, he wasted everything he had. After he had gone through all his money, there was a bad famine all through that country and he began to hurt.
    He signed on with a citizen there who assigned him to his fields to slop the pigs. He was so hungry he would have eaten the corncobs in the pig slop, but no one would give him any. “That brought him to his senses. He said, ‘All those farmhands working for my father sit down to three meals a day, and here I am starving to death. I'm going back to my father. I’ll say to him, Father, I've sinned against God, I've sinned before you; I don’t deserve to be called your son. Take me on as a hired hand.’ He got right up and went home to his father.
    “When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him. The son started his speech: ‘Father, I've sinned against God, I've sinned before you; I don’t deserve to be called your son ever again.’
    “But the father wasn't listening. He was calling to the servants, ‘Quick. Bring a clean set of clothes and dress him. Put the family ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Then get a grain-fed heifer and roast it. We’re going to feast!
    We’re going to have a wonderful time! My son is here—given up for dead and now alive! Given up for lost and now found!’ And they began to have a wonderful time.

Also, this story shows us God's forgiveness. We deserve nothing, we've spent our inheritance and not thanked God for it. we are reckless and undeserving but God, in his grace, forgets that and instantly forgives us as we turn and run to Him.

Also, God is fun. God loves a party and a good time, God longs to celebrate with us. In heaven there shall be great times of fun and laughter. The bible says God delights in us.

Revelation 3 v 17
    You say, ‘I am rich; I have grown wealthy and need nothing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked.

ReputationRep:
    Ibn Qayyim رحمه الله said:

"The whole world from its beginning until its end is not worth an hour of sadness, so what about the sadness of a whole life".

[Al fawaid]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be sober-minded and alert. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in your faith and in the knowledge that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering.… 1 Peter 5 v 8

In the world today we see immense evil but this evil is from the same devil who was roaming the earth during WWII and during every other atrocity known to mankind in our history. It doesn't matter what disguise it takes it is out to kill mankind. The devil hates us because we are made in the image of God. Every type of evil is against God and against man.

ReputationRep:
    People ask what will eternity be like, what will heaven be like... We know we will be in the presence of God, and as we love God we will love to be in his presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMK0XkqYBo0

ReputationRep:

None of the rulers of this age understood it. For if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. Rather, as it is written: “- No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart has imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him.” But God has revealed it to us by the Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.…

What I love from these verses is that God has good things in store for us. We know heaven is a place promised to us for eternity but God Himself says no mind can ever imagine how heaven will be.You will be pulled into His heart. All light flows from Him. His name is I AM.

From the minute you die...who ever owns you will come for you

25 minutes of an interesting account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-q5Lu6JpI

Gets you thinking
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Don't be a ****.

That's all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Matthew 25:35-41

'35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.'

ReputationRep:
    Jesus is the outward expression of an invisible God.

Col. 2:9--"For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form.

John 8:58--"Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.'

Phil. 2:5-8--"Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Matt. 14:33--"And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, "You are certainly God’s Son!"

Acts 7:55-60--"But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; 56 and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God."

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.