Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hijabs are designed to make you appear less human Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    All parents have the right to teach their religious values to their children and let them go when older. This happens with Christian people to. All girls I know wear it out of choice.
    Really? hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otah007)
    No, it doesn't.

Pride: 'A feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.'
    Superiority: 'A supercilious manner or attitude.'
    I suggest you read a reputable dictionary:

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...glish/superior

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Really? hmm.
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Also, the claim that its for modesty whilst wearing designer hijabs and latest abayas and Maybelline make up and ... yeah
    Yeah, hijabis compensate by painting their face with make up. I don't see the point of wearing a hijab then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    What happened do being allowed to wear what you want in this society? 🤔 Or does that only apply when dressing (objectively) less modest? 🤔
    As I just said, many hijabis wear loads of make up - certainly not for "modesty".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    As I just said, many hijabis wear loads of make up - certainly not for "modesty".
    It's just a headscarf, I don't why people have such an issue with it. Unless it's being forced, which for majority of the girls in this country, that isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Westerners are such hypocrites- look this woman's covered up too but nobodys saying she's oppressed!

I can see her hair mate, please delete that picture before I get super turned on

Edit: Transparent hijabs... not a bad product to put into business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    What happened do being allowed to wear what you want in this society? 🤔 Or does that only apply when dressing (objectively) less modest? 🤔
    True

(Original post by Josb)
    Also true, but I have heard hijabi women say that in the Quran it states that both men and women should take care of their external appearance and be well groomed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Yeah, hijabis compensate by painting their face with make up. I don't see the point of wearing a hijab then.
    PRSOM. Yeah I think there is a lot of compensation going on.

Further evidence that suppression/abstinence is not a good form of protection, as people like to claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Also true, but I have heard hijabi women say that in the Quran it states that both men and women should take care of their external appearance and be well groomed.
    You can be well groomed without a veil covering your hair and three tons of foundation and mascara.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Yes.
    Just because the ones you know aren't forced- doesn't mean there are some that are. Many hijabi girls on TSR said they have been forced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You can be well groomed without a veil covering your hair and three tons of foundation and mascara.
    I always thought wearing a full on face of makeup with a hijab is contradicting tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Just because the ones you know aren't forced- doesn't mean there are some that are. Many hijabi girls on TSR said they have been forced.
    For most, the correct word is "pressurised" rather than "forced".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Well tbh most women who wear the hijab do their make up extremely well, it never looks tacky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    For most, the correct word is "pressurised" rather than "forced".
    A few girls on here even said that there parents would cut contact/disown them if they stopped wearing a hijabi so in a way they are being forced, but I don't think forced a pressurised are two completely different things.

ReputationRep:
    A few girls on here even said that there parents would cut contact/disown them if they stopped wearing a hijabi so in a way they are being forced, but I don't think forced a pressurised are two completely different things.
    I think the difference is that only parents can force a girl to wear a hijab, whilst all the family, as well as friends and neighbours can pressurise her to wear it. The result is that she can then convince herself that she wears it by "choice"; she wouldn't be able to think that if her parents had ordered her to do so.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=havealarger;64819977]The black bed sheets and sandals you wear around on a hot sunny day like today are designed to make you appear less human to anybody who even dares think about looking at you. It's an advert for Don't look at me, I am a walking black bed sheet ghost living in the free world of democratic rights. [/QUOTE
    True I don't agree with covering the face with a veil
    I don't particularly like the kind black abaya but least it's better than the veil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by havealarger)
    The black bed sheets and sandals you wear around on a hot sunny day like today are designed to make you appear less human to anybody who even dares think about looking at you. It's an advert for Don't look at me, I am a walking black bed sheet ghost living in the free world of democratic rights.
    Anyone else keep these on their bed?

ReputationRep:
    I've been wondering, what was Mo' (pbuh)/Allah/whoever thinking when he made their 'bedsheets' black?

Black objects are brilliant at absorbing heat and in the hot Arabic climate... It's like he had a craving for KFM (kentucky fried moslem) or something. He could've at least made them white, at least then they'd 'reflect' (I'm guessing none of you want to hear about how the excitation of atoms/molecules works) most of it. So much for Quranic science.

ReputationRep:
    Can we say that people have free choice to choose to wear what they want if they have been brought up in a society where everyone accepts a certain way of dress? 'Brainwash' has rather negative connotations, maybe 'indoctrinate' would be better, but I believe that 'free will' and the choices people make are usually a result of social conditioning.How can you choose to do something completely different to the way your parents, your grandparents have been doing it, especially if you yourself have been brought up to believe that to change is wrong. How do we distinguish between free will- real, true decisions free from thought of repercussion- and this type of 'choice'?

This applies to not just the Muslim religion, but all, as well as different accepted societal ways. e.g. accepted dress within Western society vs. Amish society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.