Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Turned 20 today, haven't achieved anything my entire life Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I don't know, that's a significant problem I know. Lol, I'll keep that in mind and become a mushroom farming instructor :yes:
    You could advise governments all over the world on mushrooms. Develop new ideas to harvest them, invest in new workers / infrastructure / scientific research. Be the mushroom you want to be.

Everyone wants mushrooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFBS)
    Do your family not count? Do you not love them back?

What would you consider noteworthy? Serious question.
    My family count, but that's something almost everyone has. Nothing noteworthy about that.

idk, being good at something, being able to create something and be proud of it

ReputationRep:
    My family count, but that's something almost everyone has. Nothing noteworthy about that.

idk, being good at something, being able to create something and be proud of it
    Not everyone. Don't take it for granted.

Be good at something? As already pointed out, you appear to be fairly skilled at reading and writing. Does this not satisfy your criteria? Your goal seems incredibly undefined, so no wonder you haven't met it, because you haven't aimed for something. Go be the ****ing world authority on mushroom farming, I dare you.

Last reality check. Happiness isn't something you can acquire. You just have to choose to like what you have already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFBS)

Be good at something? As already pointed out, you appear to be fairly skilled at reading and writing. Does this not satisfy your criteria? Your goal seems incredibly undefined, so no wonder you haven't met it, because you haven't aimed for something. Go be the ****ing world authority on mushroom farming, I dare you.

Last reality check. Happiness isn't something you can acquire. You just have to choose to like what you have already.
    I know, that's why I said almost everyone. I don't take them for granted, but it's not enough. These are people who are obligated to like me, regardless of whether they'd like me or not otherwise.

I suppose you're right, I don't really know what I want to achieve

ReputationRep:
    anyone else completely lost here?
    Congrats!

It will come. I was 23 when I thought my life was a **** and I haven't and never would achieve anything.

You just gotta find your thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainhuman)
    Congrats!

It will come. I was 23 when I thought my life was a **** and I haven't and never would achieve anything.

You just gotta find your thing!
    if you don't mind me asking, did you ever find your thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFBS)

Exactly, pretty much what i'm thinking atm, think i'll throw myself into some field, specialize in it, hopefully it'll have a bit travel involved, I don't presume it'll be all fun and games but it'll definitely be more rewarding than having no direction.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't mind me asking, did you ever find your thing?
    Yea. I think so. There are still some things I would like to be different, but overall I am happy now. I have a job and a girlfriend and found a great hobby, it makes for a balanced life now.

ReputationRep:
    I know, that's why I said almost everyone. I don't take them for granted, but it's not enough. These are people who are obligated to like me, regardless of whether they'd like me or not otherwise.

I suppose you're right, I don't really know what I want to achieve
    Oh, they aren't obligated to like you. They love you without reason or boundary, but that doesn't mean they have to like you. You must just be a nice person for them to like you. Winner!

Good, so stop beating yourself up because you haven't yet done the thing, and go decide what the thing is. You can do it, you seem fairly smart.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone wants mushrooms.
    To be fair I love mushrooms.

ReputationRep:
    You can't achieve something without having some kind of goal in the first place. So it's not that you haven't achieved anything, it's more not having any defined goals yet, which at only 20 is completely reasonable! If you're still in education you have so much time to figure out what you want to do
    Though figuring out what that thing is may be trial and error and you might not be right the first time but that's okay, you (probably ) have a long life ahead of you

What is considered "noteworthy" is subjective. There have been a lot of times when you've cheered me up, whether it be through saying something funny or being there when I've needed it - that, in my opinion, is a noteworthy achievement because it's a positive impact that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been there. And I know there are others you've done that for, too. :yep:

Also, can we keep in mind you've just finished your first year of university? How is that not considered an achievement? :noway:

No, you haven't won a Nobel Prize or sailed across the world (that I know of :ninja:), but Zarga, you're twenty. You have a lot of years ahead of you to do things like that. You've achieved a lot, you're just looking in the wrong places.

Cut contact for a week and literally no one but my parents and sister would remember me. I'm glad you could be proud of your life, but I really can't

Well, that's not true.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to feel good about yourself, there's a website where you pop your age in and they'll list all the amazing things other people had accomplished by the time they were your age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymοοse)
    If you really want to feel good about yourself, there's a website where you pop your age in and they'll list all the amazing things other people had accomplished by the time they were your age
    >Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard and co-founded Microsoft
    >Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein
    >Isaac Newton created calculus

and i'm here collecting rare pepes and posting **** on tsr :rofl: :rofl:

(Original post by acupofgreentea)

What is considered "noteworthy" is subjective. There have been a lot of times when you've cheered me up, whether it be through saying something funny or being there when I've needed it - that, in my opinion, is a noteworthy achievement because it's a positive impact that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been there. And I know there are others you've done that for, too. :yep:

Also, can we keep in mind you've just finished your first year of university? How is that not considered an achievement? :noway:

No, you haven't won a Nobel Prize or sailed across the world (that I know of :ninja:), but Zarga, you're twenty. You have a lot of years ahead of you to do things like that. You've achieved a lot, you're just looking in the wrong places.

Well, that's not true.
    Fine stalkers on the internet would remember me :hand:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    jk
    i know what you're saying, but it feels like i should be achieving so much more then i am right now
    i don't think uni was that great an achievement, esp considering i'm at a **** uni :lol:
    i've not even done anything, i've just existed through the whole year

maybe i am, like the other user pointed out, I'm not even sure what I want to achieve

ReputationRep:
    Happy birthday! :birthday:

To be honest, you still have so many years to do something. You'll be fine. Keep smiling! :hugs:

Fine stalkers on the internet would remember me :hand:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    jk
    i know what you're saying, but it feels like i should be achieving so much more then i am right now
    i don't think uni was that great an achievement, esp considering i'm at a **** uni :lol:
    i've not even done anything, i've just existed through the whole year

maybe i am, like the other user pointed out, I'm not even sure what I want to achieve
    I must say, the TSR follow function has enabled me to stalk with a lot more ease than other sites. :yep: Your hair is looking particularly nice today, if I do say so myself. :perv:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Damn right JK. :hand:

At twenty? Was it not you who said earlier that you thought twenty was the most common age on here? (Again, I must really thank someone for that follow function. :bigsmile:) So, that's a lot of twenty-year-olds who are, also, spending their days on TSR (including me :hand:). Yes, there will be the few twenty-year-olds who have achieved something major, but the majority of us won't have achieved Nobel Prize-like things and that's okay. Like I said, you're looking in the wrong places - achievements come in all shapes and sizes.

It's university. It's an achievement regardless of the university, in my opinion, despite what TSR will tell you. And considering you've just finished your first year, you evidently haven't "just existed" - you've submitted all your work, for one.

You'll find out. Don't put some big thing on "I need to achieve something amazing" - just live your life, your own achievements will come. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think humans are insufferably insatiable when it comes to achievement.

Don't beat yourself up.

Time is on your side.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else completely lost here?
    Happy birthday!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 2 years behind you so I hope I'm not too young. Aren't you in college or something?
    What's your definition of achievement?

ReputationRep:
    Happy Birthday! You're fine, dont worry, plenty of time left for you to experience great things in life. I bet youre so talented and creative and you seem like such a nice person! People around you love you! Stay smiling and never give up, best of luck xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.