Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Boris would have had more success if he had compared the EU project to Philip II of Macedon who unified the disparate Greek city states in the fourth century before Christ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    Well not really, it was just warped into the Lisbon treaty. Which was rejected by Ireland, so democratic they had to vote again to get the right result.
    The treaty was substantially different to the proposed constitution.

Ireland voted again because the Irish government always said it would if it obtained some guarantees, so blame Ireland for that one, not the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Boris would have had more success if he had compared the EU project to Philip II of Macedon who unified the disparate Greek city states in the fourth century before Christ.
    My ancient history is sometimes a little shaky, correct me if I've got it all wrong Bear, but didn't Alexander's dad use force, violence and you know, general massacres, to achieve that? Compared with, now what do they call them, democratic referendums and votes?

I suppose it's all the same thing really, right? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Boris said that the unification of Europe was what Hitler and Napoleon had attempted, through different means.

I always thought that the means were more the issue than the aim. When I ingest food, I'm attempting the same thing Jeffery Dahmer did through different means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    My ancient history is sometimes a little shaky, correct me if I've got it all wrong Bear, but didn't Alexander's dad use force, violence and you know, general massacres, to achieve that? Compared with, now what do they call them, democratic referendums and votes?

I suppose it's all the same thing really, right? :rolleyes:
    you got it wrong girl. That was Alexander... it was no ragtime band which he unleashed on the Achaemenid Empire.
    Philip was a gentle guy who would much rather be doing his hobby of collecting kraters and kuathoi than fighting bolshie nudists at Thermopylae.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you got it wrong girl. That was Alexander... it was no ragtime band which he unleashed on the Achaemenid Empire.
    Philip was a gentle guy who would much rather be doing his hobby of collecting kraters and kuathoi than fighting bolshie nudists at Thermopylae.
    I went to Philip's tomb in Macedon, absolutely shed loads of gold! :drool: Most of it I believe stolen in one or other of his many wars. Something about crushing Athens, Thessaly and Phillipi? Oh well, it's all a very long time ago. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyCynic)
    Boris said that the unification of Europe was what Hitler and Napoleon had attempted, through different means.

I always thought that the means were more the issue than the aim. When I ingest food, I'm attempting the same thing Jeffery Dahmer did through different means.
    I think your latter point pretty much sums up the Europhobic argument, if you don't mind me saying so.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Philip's tomb in Macedon, absolutely shed loads of gold! :drool: Most of it I believe stolen in one or other of his many wars. Something about crushing Athens, Thessaly and Phillipi? Oh well, it's all a very long time ago. :teehee:
    you old tomb raider you :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    The excellent museum there is of course paid for with Euro-money. :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarlTheCuck)
    At least I don't support a defender of child rapists
    :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarlTheCuck)
    At least I don't support a defender of child rapists
    He's got you there FoS...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    He's got you there FoS...
    If I knew what it was about...?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The USA is clearly the model that many Eurocrats are aspiring to, the comparisons with the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany are just stupid really.
    So which are you denying, that the EU is trying to form a unified European state, or that Hitler and Napoleon also tried this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So which are you denying, that the EU is trying to form a unified European state, or that Hitler and Napoleon also tried this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the EU are trying to form a democratic federal Europe by mutual consent and the agreement of all concerned in a peaceful and free process with a parliament, an executive and a single border.

In your opinion, is that similar to Napoleon and Hitler's war aims?

ReputationRep:
    Who knows 😂

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can just admit it was a stupid thing to say, just as Camerons war was.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think the EU are trying to form a democratic federal Europe by mutual consent and the agreement of all concerned in a peaceful and free process with a parliament, an executive and a single border.

In your opinion, is that similar to Napoleon and Hitler's war aims?
    Is this Democratic federal European state single and unifying for the majority or Europe? Or are you overlooking the "unified European state" bit and focusing instead on the form of government because that way you can deny the correctness of the claim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ... because that way you can deny the correctness of the claim?
    Neither do I deny the claim that I sleep. JUST LIKE HITLER!

Boris invoked Godwin's Law, and therefore loses. It's nothing personal, just Internet law.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    You can just admit it was a stupid thing to say, just as Camerons war was.
    Which do you deny?

If he had missed out the Hitler bit people would have gone mad over Napoleon, if he had simply said the romans people would have gone mad about the empire, if he said republic people would probably still somehow be mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's about Hillary defending as a lawyer a child rapist she knew was guilty, and blaming the victim.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.